Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question 4 Deer Shooters

• 29-11-2007 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi everyone

I know a farmer in wicklow who has wild deers on his farm he also said that he could get other farmers around to give me permission to shoot.

Ive been curious to know what are the requirements are for getting a deer licesence.

Im not from wicklow but from Wexford - would that complicate things?

How much hastle is it and what lead time is it before i can shoot?

ALSO what would a lower end of the scale deer rifle set me back?

Thanks in advance Fellow Hunters

Jimbo 22

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

First of all you need to get written permission from the land owners with folio numbers and all relevant info .
    Then you need to apply for a licence to hunt deer from the dept of the environment the application forms are on their website.
    You will need to purchase a gun of min calibre 22-250 but you will be better off with .243 upwards .
    When you apply for the rifle licence down here in Wexford you will probably get a visit from the guards to inspect your safe and alarm.
    Everything going well you should be shooting deer by this time next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

And if you can't or don't want to I will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimbo 22

How many farmers permission would i need ?

Whats a licesence to shoot deer from dept of the environment gonna cost?

What would a .243 or similar set me back?

Tanks for the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

One if he has enough land.
    Licence from the dept is free.
    I sold a second hand CZ with zeiss 8x56 & a harris bipod for €1400 lately .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimbo 22

I think he has about 70 - 80 acres and he said he would get more signitures if needed

€1400 for a rifle is a bit steep

Could i get anything around €750 - €800 price range

Suppose i could use it for fox hunting aswell?

Or would it be too expensive to be shootin general vermin (greys and magpies)

Thinkin of trading in my .17 against one???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

A bit steep?? Sounds like value to me, if you are trying to get into stalking on the cheap let me just enlighten you before you get carried away, good things are never cheap and cheap things are never good, you generally only get the one opportunity to make the shot so its got to be on the money every time, thats where quality kit matters and it will last for donkeys years. As for grey crows and magpies, i wouldnt be all that keen on shooting them with a full bore, aside from the costs there is no body mass to take the bullet and you would be running the risk of a high percentage of ricochets, you are planning to shoot them on the ground of course?????

Advertisement