Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Morning Bagging

Options
  • 29-11-2007 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

The RSA have announced a major campaign for bagging drivers in the morning. What do people think about this?
    It doesn't really affect me, i do wonder about it's merits.
    Now i'm not defending people driving while still half-cut from the night before, but I havent seen the RSA produce any kind of evidence that this is a problem. Surely there should be some kind of justification for garda resources being spent on this project?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Now i'm not defending people driving while still half-cut from the night before

Neither am I , good post though. Is there much carnage in the mornings? What are the accident stats to justify the campaign?

Fair enough, if there is a lot of injuries and deaths in the morning due to people being over the limit, go for it.

Would the money be better spent on bagging people outside golf clubs, yacht clubs, pubs, GAA clubs, wine bars, night clubs etc... in the middle of the night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Ehhh would it be safe to assume that this is not what you are reffering to?? >> http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/real_life/article237810.ece

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Indeed it is :P. The cops have more important things to do with their time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

This is perfectly reasonable in my opinion. There are more accident in mornings and evenings. You need to have drank a lot of alcohol the night before to still be over the limit. You shouldn't be driving if you are over the limit. Alcohol gives you a false sense of security.

I admit that I used to drive before 9 on a sturday morning having stumbled in the door in the early hours. After one close call going around Bus Aras onto Amiens Street I have ceased that practice.

I agree with you ballooba. People shouldn't be driving over the limit, regardless of the time of day.

My point is that this campaign seems to be a little arbatrary. Where is the evidence that drink-driving is a particular problem in the morning?

Before starting a crusade, i think they should find out:
    A: How may people are doing it.
    B: Is it causing accidents.

Now it may very well be that it is a big problem and it is causing a lot of accidents. I'd just like to see research and figures to indicate that this is the best use of police time.

• Advertisement

ballooba wrote: »
    There are more accident in mornings and evenings.

Are you saying there is more accidents in the morning? The OP is looking for RSA evidence.
    You shouldn't be driving if you are over the limit.

Nobody is saying you should be, the OP is just questioning the practicalities. The carnage is at night, not in the morning. Are they just getting numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

What better way than by breathalysing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

See page nine here. It goes

Nightclub closing -> Pub Closing -> From Work -> To Work

in decreasing order of frequency.
    daveirl wrote: »
    I've no issue with bagging people in the mornings but I genuinely do think that the guy who gets a taxi home and gets up the next morning and drives and is barely over the limit shouldn't get as harsh a sentence as the guy who drives home from the pub off his game.
    They're both over the limit. You're still under the influence in the morning.

Actually, I was looking at the wrong line on the graph. Three most common times for dying on the road are:

1) Way home from work.
    2) Way home from pub (not nightclub interestingly)
    3) Way to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are more accident in mornings and evenings.

(insert standard "not defending driving quarter cut after a hard night' disclaimer here)

How much of this is down to darkness rather than alcohol use I wonder; I'd also like to see the % of accidents that are in the morning and evening weighed up against the % of road use that happens - late night would likely come out wildly higher crash-for-use than morning time.

See page nine here. It goes

Nightclub closing -> Pub Closing -> From Work -> To Work

in decreasing order of frequency.

They're both over the limit. You're still under the influence in the morning.

Fair play for the research. Unfortunatley, to me the graph only shows that most accidents happen during morning/evening drive time.

Again, I have no problem with morning bagging per se. But before a large scale campaign is launched, i would expect at least:
    A: A survey to find out how many people drive the morning after a feed of drink and how frequently.
    B: A review of the accident statistics to find out in what % of morning accidents was drink a factor.

With this information we can establish a proportional response to the problem.

The RSA gets away with this because it is politically difficult to question it's pronouncements. Anyone who argues can be accused of supporting drunk drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MYOB wrote: »
    I'd also like to see the % of accidents that are in the morning and evening weighed up against the % of road use that happens - late night would likely come out wildly higher crash-for-use than morning time.

Indeed. That explains the highest peak in fatal accidents of the day at about 5PM. Hardly anyone is over the limit at that time, but more than a million people are on the road going home from work

The second highest peak is after midnight. There are perhaps only a couple of thousand people on the road, but the percentage of people over the legal limit is many times higher than the percentage in the morning - leading to a relatively very high number of fatal accidents

Have I anything to back this up? No except for common sense...

MYOB wrote: »
    How much of this is down to darkness rather than alcohol use I wonder; I'd also like to see the % of accidents that are in the morning and evening weighed up against the % of road use that happens - late night would likely come out wildly higher crash-for-use than morning time.
    There is very seldom one single contributing factor to an accident. It's a combination of factors. In this case the contributing ones could include:
    1) Traffic Volume
    2) Visibility
    3) Alcohol OR (in the case of evening accidents) Fatigue
    unkel wrote: »
    Indeed. That explains the highest peak in fatal accidents of the day at about 5PM. Hardly anyone is over the limit at that time, but more than a million people are on the road going home from work
    See point 3 above.

I don't believe there are any mitigating circumstances. Your body supposedly breaks down one unit of alcohol per hour of abstention. So if you go out and take 16 units of alcohol and sleep for 8 hours you will still have 8 units of alcohol in your system. You are the same as the guy who drove home after 8 units of alcohol. You may be less tired and their may be more light but you are just as drunk.

A: A survey to find out how many people drive the morning after a feed of drink and how frequently.
    The number of people protesting against this would suggest there are quite a few. These people never mention the use of resources, only that they might get caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Fair play for the research. Unfortunatley, to me the graph only shows that most accidents happen during morning/evening drive time.

Again, I have no problem with morning bagging per se. But before a large scale campaign is launched, i would expect at least:
    B: A review of the accident statistics to find out in what % of morning accidents was drink a factor.

With this information we can establish a proportional response to the problem.

The RSA gets away with this because it is politically difficult to question it's pronouncements. Anyone who argues can be accused of supporting drunk drivers.

As mentioned above, morning testing is the way to research the problem - the results would reveal the extent of the problem. I'd be interested to see the failure rate per test, rather than just the number of failures.

I don't think many people would complain about wasting money if morning-after drink driving turns out to be a minor problem - better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sc4rf4ce

i would have to agree with this new plan.
    I have to admit, i had to go for a quick spin last sat morning, and i had been out the night before. I certainly didnt feel 100% and soon headed home, and vowed never again.
    So I can see where the RSA is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The number of people protesting against this would suggest there are quite a few. These people never mention the use of resources, only that they might get caught.

Yeah, I frequently drive to work on a Friday morning after a late night out....

except I don't drink. :D

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Silly time to be bagging people, our dependance on the road infrastucture and the amount of time required to test one person is going to:

A. Increase congestion as the Gardai will be randomly breath testing people
    B. Your less likely to be caught in Heavy traffic as there will be alot more people being tested.

I recon they should target the problem areas, the ones that are flewterd drunk coming out of Clubs, Pubs, Towns, Concerts and Airports (Yes people do come off planes hammered)

The RSA tend to implement these types of countermeasures without thinking what other effects it will have.

The main thing is to catch the people that are likely to kill people and its been said time and time again that the Gardai are short on resources as it is. The OP is right, there should be numbers indicating why they are targeting morning drivers.

The same premise would not work in a business. The conversation would go:

Person A: Do we have a problem here ?

Person B: Not sure, but i think we should fix it.

Person A: How much do we need to dedicate to this ?

Person B: Don't know, but i think we should give it a LOT

Person A: How much will it cost ?

Person B: Don't know

Person A: Whats the return

Person B: Don't matter, we have an Endless money making machine!! Wooo !

Rant over :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Golferx

In all fairness this is a non-worker.
    How, in God's name, could one possibly decide if one got a taxi the night before?

What about the idiot who stays at home skulling cans of Dutch Gold ? Should one be more lenient on him because he didn't drive the night before ?

Drunk drivers are drunk drivers regardless of the time of day. This is one area of Road Traffic Law where a guillotine law/sentance is required, i.e. no mercy.

As for a Silly time to be bagging people? That is absolutely ridiculous. The morning is the time when children are more likely to be pedestrians, the morning is when the roads are busiest, it is a time when it is essential drunks are taken off our road, or prevented from going there in the first place. I'm really saddened, craichoe, that you want morning drunks to remain unchallenged. (That is exactly what you have said.)

And, the RSA do not implement anything, they recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I have no issue with alcohol testing at any time of the day or night.

I do have a big issue with the fact that it is not carried out as a matter of principle on the scene of an accident though.

Golferx wrote: »
    In all fairness this is a non-worker.
    How, in God's name, could one possibly decide if one got a taxi the night before?

What about the idiot who stays at home skulling cans of Dutch Gold ? Should one be more lenient on him because he didn't drive the night before ?

Drunk drivers are drunk drivers regardless of the time of day. This is one area of Road Traffic Law where a guillotine law/sentance is required, i.e. no mercy.

As for a Silly time to be bagging people? That is absolutely ridiculous. The morning is the time when children are more likely to be pedestrians, the morning is when the roads are busiest, it is a time when it is essential drunks are taken off our road, or prevented from going there in the first place. I'm really saddened, craichoe, that you want morning drunks to remain unchallenged. (That is exactly what you have said.)

And, the RSA do not implement anything, they recommend.

Please point out where I said this ?
    that you want morning drunks to remain unchallenged.

I want numbers .. NUMBERS.. not some heresay to know where the taxes that we pay are being spent in a proper manner. So far I don't have any numbers to tell me that this is effectively going to save any lives. This is a limited resource that they are allocating to something without any evidence.

Don't say
    (That is exactly what you have said.)

When its clearly not "Exactly what i said"

The morning is the time when children are more likely to be pedestrians, the morning is when the roads are busiest, it is a time when it is essential drunks are taken off our road, or prevented from going there in the first place.

If this problem is as great as you describe (and it may be), where is the evidence to support it? Massive amounts of garda resources shouldn't be invested in a problem who's size is unknown.

Let me give an example. Suppose the RSA announce tommorrow morning that keeping spare change on one's dashboard (for toll roads/car parks/whatever) is dangerous. It makes sense - coins flying around could be hazardous in an accident. Suppose they then recommend stopping every car on the M50 to check for change. Wouldn't we all want to see evidence that the expense, use of limited garda resources and inconvienence to road users was proportionate to the risk to public safety?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

To do this they have to do random breath tests in the morning and test everyone in a crash

How else will they know how many people drive drunk in the morning without actually going out and testing people in the morning???

the stats gathering in accidents are so so so crap

I have always wanted to know, the most crashed car in Ireland, how many accidents involve learner drivers who are alone, how many accidents involve people with a full license for only 1-2 years, weater conditions, time of day, age of driver, sex, drink and drug test results of each driver.

Any accident serious enough to call the cops then there needs to be full stats gathering

The morning is the time when children are more likely to be pedestrians, the morning is when the roads are busiest, it is a time when it is essential drunks are taken off our road, or prevented from going there in the first place.
    If this problem is as great as you describe (and it may be), where is the evidence to support it? Massive amounts of garda resources shouldn't be invested in a problem who's size is unknown.

Let me give an example. Suppose the RSA announce tommorrow morning that keeping spare change on one's dashboard (for toll roads/car parks/whatever) is dangerous. It makes sense - coins flying around could be hazardous in an accident. Suppose they then recommend stopping every car on the M50 to check for change. Wouldn't we all want to see evidence that the expense, use of limited garda resources and inconvienence to road users was proportionate to the risk to public safety?

Spot on .. and you beat me to it

Spending without research (which is essentially what allocating a resource is) is idiotic

Vegeta wrote: »
    Any accident serious enough to call the cops then there needs to be full stats gathering
    Absolutely agree. If we are to address road safety in a reasoned way, we need to have all the information.
    Vegeta wrote: »
    How else will they know how many people drive drunk in the morning without actually going out and testing people in the morning???
    By asking a sample group of people confidentially. Pollsters are very clever at weeding out lies, and can provide accurate figures much faster and cheaper.

• Advertisement

As for a Silly time to be bagging people?

Its not that its a silly time to breathalise people, I just feel it should be done during the optimal time of drunken accidents.

Advertisement