Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for events

Options
  • 29-11-2007 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Thought I'd start the first (legitimate) thread on our shiny new forum ;)

Just looking to get some suggestions for events... places to go, things to do, etc.

I'll start:

-paintball
    -go-karting
    -clay pigeon shooting (do they do this in Ireland?)

GO!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From user NonDrinkersClub:
    - paintballing (never been before but i'd say its mighty fun)
    - karting (this is brilliant when it's not raining)
    - gigs (so many comedy & music gigs around town)
    - ice-skating!!! the RDS will have a rink soon, and they'll have one in Booterstown
    - Funderland will be here soon beside the RDS
    - cinema (the IFI is good for weird films & Cineworld for everything & the convenience of an Eddie Rockets beside it)
    - meals out (so many places springing up in town)
    - quaser, pool & bowling (can be pricey but defo fun)
    - kayaking / surfing (maybe when the weather is a bit warmer! brrrr)
    - fun days at parks playin' a bit of football, eatin' sandwiches, or flying kites (girly, but hey, that would be hilarious)
    - the zoo! everyone likes the zoo
    - adventure bus (Ghost bus Tour, Irish Sightseeing like Newgrange)
    - cheap Ryanair holidays to European cities (Amsterdam is brilliant!)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Did someone mention the zoo?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Richie860504

Maybe we could do some things like Parachute Jumping, Bungy Jumping and absailing. Absailing i've done and it was great. Brickin it at the top but once you get going it's plain sailing. Just watch out your feet don't go from underneath you and you end up crashing into the wall!!! Anyone else have any adventure things they'd like to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Abseiling.... that's climbing down cliffs, etc., with a rope, aint it? Sounds good

I'd like to go camping some time. Hiking, also (would probably hike somewhere and then camp there).

Someone mentioned kayaking, which is a good idea (but I cant do it, problems with my ears -- they dont like water :().

Not an adventure thing, but I'd like to go fishing some time... Went one time before and it was pretty cool, even though it was freezing at the time.

Oooh.. I've never been camping before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Sounds interesting... I guess i'ld fit pretty well in here!
    I'm thinking of starting one of these Non Drinkers Club in my coll too...
    Afterall i was the founder of "we can have more fun without alcohol club".

Yeah, you can absail down anything that's vertical. You get a great buzz out of it though at the end. Clay pigeon shooting is done in someplaces aswell. I'd like to go to an actual firing range and fire a few rounds. Done it long time ago and it was pretty good. Only got to use a rifle though. Also thing's like diving, there's a place near bettystown that does it I think. Hiking would be a good laugh. There's adventure centres all over Ireland that do alot of good stuff like rock climbing and all that. There's supposed to be a good one in delphi (Don't know where it is, so don't ask!!!) They do team building stuff for companies and that. I'll find out and let you all know.

Folks,

Check this out, I think it looks brilliant. Abit expensive but we could just go for the day? (I am not an emloyee of this centre!!! just thought people might be interested).

http://www.delphiadventureholidays.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

clay pigeon shooting is class, I do it regularly enough and its great fun

brought the group at work to a place in limerick for it but there are a few places around dublin that do it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Oh, another outdoorsey thing would be bushcraft / survival courses. For the Ray Mears / Bear Grylls fans out there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Oh, another outdoorsey thing would be bushcraft / survival courses. For the Ray Mears / Bear Grylls fans out there :D

I like :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭NonDrinkersClub

Lovin' the bushcraft course! sounds like great fun :) I am so there if anyone else wants to go - maybe can we wait til it's a bit warmer though for the night ones? A day course would be cool I reckon. We'd definitely live through it.

Yeah that bushcraft course looks brilliant. Count me in.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

biko wrote: »
    From user NonDrinkersClub:
    - paintballing (never been before but i'd say its mighty fun)
    - karting (this is brilliant when it's not raining)
    - gigs (so many comedy & music gigs around town)
    - ice-skating!!! the RDS will have a rink soon, and they'll have one in Booterstown
    - Funderland will be here soon beside the RDS
    - cinema (the IFI is good for weird films & Cineworld for everything & the convenience of an Eddie Rockets beside it)
    - meals out (so many places springing up in town)
    - quaser, pool & bowling (can be pricey but defo fun)
    - kayaking / surfing (maybe when the weather is a bit warmer! brrrr)
    - fun days at parks playin' a bit of football, eatin' sandwiches, or flying kites (girly, but hey, that would be hilarious)
    - the zoo! everyone likes the zoo
    - adventure bus (Ghost bus Tour, Irish Sightseeing like Newgrange)
    - cheap Ryanair holidays to European cities (Amsterdam is brilliant!)

All these events are much better after a few pints and / or while having a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

+1 for clay pigeon shooting, its great craic. Be prepared for bruised shoulders for those who don't pay attention to the instructors though :)

All these events are much better after a few pints and / or while having a few pints.

You are hilarious! Have you considered stand-up? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

I reckon a ryanair or road trip to the Dam is a must for any self respecting non Drinkers club, Its a do-able winter activity, whereas all the other stuff will just leave ya howling for a hot whisky by a fireplace in a country pub, followed by stew. Outdoor activities are a bit of a nono in this country from october until April unfortunately, unless you are completely dedicated, and prepared to shell out all the money you saved (by not drinkin) on thermal waterproofs and drysuits and such. I scuba dive myself, so I know watersports are out, unless you have your own gear, adventure centre gear is summer wear really, otherwise, you'll end up drivin the width of the country to freeze your whole off paddling round Killary harbour for fifteen minutes, till you can't feel your arms no more, Its enough to drive you to drink.
    Quasar sounds good though, as does Karting (Indoor)

Yeah, Amsterdam is quite possibly my favorite place on earth (that I've been to so far anyways). My boyfriend & I usually stay in one of these cool places which are run by a really friendly Irish couple

If you haven't been there yet, you should go! Great shopping, markets, and food (umm...apple pancakes) and there is of course the optional smoke if you're into that kinda thing :) If not, there's plenty of other interesting sights and things to do and the city is just beautiful!

http://www.amsterdamescape.com

I'd love to get a posse together sometime and book a really big apartment between us all...so that's defo a go-er for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Shamrogue

How about a night of drinking??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Of course there are all the driving related passtimes which are open to you once your a non drinker.

Off road rallying... tank driving.. you can even try out driving double decker busses at high speed!!

And thats not to mention the hillarious fun just sitting watching people making pure fools of themselves... and the amount of money it costs them to do so.

• Advertisement

How's thing's folks,

Any sign of anything happening this side of christmas? Maybe something during the christmas? Just I'm havin a hard time at the mo trying to give up the drink, and it's gonna be even harder over the christmas. Anyone have any suggestions even. I wouldn't mind even organising something if people are interested in doing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Training for a sporting event, like a 10k or a full marathon is always a good way of cutting alcohol out of your life, or reducing the amount you drink. The training in itself can be very enjoyable, and if you are dedicated there won't be as many opportunities or reasons to go drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Shamrogue wrote: »
    How about a night of drinking??

Oh, another comedian.

*clap*clap*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Sounds good, let me know if you guys are coming to Cork. Im a non-drinker too!

I'll be sure to have a go at organising a non-drinking event in the new year... once I have all the xmas stuff out of the way with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I think there are two different types of events that can be organised on the forum; those that only require forum regulars to be a success and those that may need attention from outside to work.

If you take a cinema trip, that works for anywhere between 2 to 20 (or more) people. You can happily advertise that within the board and make it a success (I hope anyway). On the other hand if you're organising something like paintballing you might want to "buy" some banner ads to bring attention to it and fill the numbers.

Also, I think people could post "Request" threads. This is basically where you would like to attend something, be it the cinema, museum, a concert, whatever and your mates aren't interested but neither does anyone want to organise something out of it. It's just a pitch to see if anyone else is interested in attending something sober and not an official forum event. Such threads will probably work better after a few meet ups.

I'm not saying this is the way the forum should work or anything just saying these are some of the ways in which it could work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

Can I suggest Rotterdam instead.... I find Rotterdam a lot friendlier, more space, a bigger city centre and an awesome zoo, Blijdorp (best one I've ever seen). If it's cold enough for the canals to freeze you can skate on them in most neighbourhoods. Or if you want the "traditional" buildings Utrecht.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Earthhorse, I think that's a great idea. Sometimes it's hard to drag friends away from the pub to do things like that and there might be other people interested but in the same situation.

Advertisement