Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help required with xbox live

• 29-11-2007 11:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

OK I know there is a thread for this here but i know exactly what my problem is now.

For a recap I am trying to open up my NAT setting to open so i can play with friends.

I have my xbox running wired to my pc which connects wirelessly to my other pc which has the router.

I have a netopia router and am with eircom.

I rang microsoft and they said to ring my isp. Have not done that yet...cause past experiences with eircom have not being healthy.

Basically it seems the way all my friends have solved it is that in the router page in firefox/ie, they go to NAT and select xbox live games from a drop down list and then select the xbox ip and it works.

problem now is that my xbox doesnt appear there to activate. only my pc and other pc.

So if anyone can help me with getting my xbox recognised when selecting my nat in router page appreciated.

also i know the ip for my xbox so i assume i need to put it somewhere

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I think you just need to open the xbox service in the settings, not look for settings specific to client machines connected.

Upgrade the firmware in your router first, if you don't see the option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

router firmware is updated.

you have to select what client you want the service to be opened for.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

This should help you out LINK

Worked for me anyway, although I connect directly to the router.

tried that didnt work, might try it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,913 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

http://192.168.1.254/indexRES.htm?natRES.htm

you're saying xbox live games isn't in the list?

• Advertisement

yeah its there alright, but when i go to select the service ( aka pc/xbox) i want to activate it for, there is only my pc and my other pc, i need to have my xbox on that list to activate it for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Why isn't the xbox connected to the router again?

my fathers computer is in a different room upstairs. The router is connected to that.

My computer is in my room across the hall, and i connect to that wirelessly. The xbox sits on the computer table, it connects into the back of my pc with the ethernet cable.

So this is how it works

Xbox > > > wired to > > > my pc > > > wirelessly > > > fathers pc > > > wired to router

and the problem again

when i go into my router homepage and try to set my nat settings, when i click the drop down list and select xbox live games, i can only activate it for my pc and my dads pc, i cant enable it for xbox, if the xbox was on that list i could enable and presto

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Grayarea

So this is how it works

Xbox > > > wired to > > > my pc > > > wirelessly > > > fathers pc > > > wired to router

With so many computers involved you are going to have a lot of problems getting this working. There is probably at least two levels of NAT going on between your XBOX and the eircom router.

I would suggest that this is going to make port forwarding on the router very difficult to configure correctly.

This is probably not what you want to hear, but I think you will have to wire your XBOX directly to the Eircom router for a couple of reasons;

1) this will allow you to correctly configure port forwarding.
    2) wireless network connections are not very reliable, this will effect live.
    3) there is two computers between your XBOX and the router, if either of these PC are busy you will get significant issues with varying latency, this again with significantly effect live.

IMHO even if you get this setup working you will experience significant issues with stability on XBOX live.

Later,

thanks for the reply. Unfortunatly id have to install another phone jack in my room, i actually dont suffer any latency on live suprisingly, and my connection if ridiculously fast considering its wireless

guess im fubared :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 btothei

hey guys didnt want t start a new thread coz i know tis a simple problem wit regard xbox live...basicially i cant connect...set up is very basic.....eircom netopia router downstairs connected (wired) to computer in kitchen.....xbox upstairs directly above kitchen with wireless adapter plugged in and it doesnt pick up the signal.....(for the record i have a laptop which piks up signal from exact same place as my xbox so the router strength r watever aint the problem)......any help appreciated....sry i aint much of a techie! :)

edit:wen i test for a connection d xbox recognises dat the wireless adapter is ther its the second bit where it fails

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Damien360

It's been a while since I set this up and am rusty but here goes.

First, I was unable to get the xbox to use the DHCP server on the router. Give it a fixed IP address in the range of your DHCP. You can still have DHCP enabled on the router. I also had to give it the primary and secondary DNS address from the router homepage in the xbox settings. If wireless give it the wireless security settings also. I did not use the offiical one but used a netgear wireless print server which works nicely. No lag worth mentioning after I upgraded to 2Mb eircom line (200K up speed appears not to be an issue as long as you are joining a game and not hosting)

On netopia router set to enable NAT on custom services. Choose custom services and select xbox live games for the IP address you gave the xbox.

That was all I needed to do. If this works make sure you register the xbox online via the xbox. Set up your gamertag via box also or you will loose the one month free live which comes with the box.

Hope this makes sense. It has been a while !

well got a blessing

my daddio is upgrading to sky plus and we get to keep the old box and im getting it into my room. But to run boxes all boxes now require to be hooked up to a telephone line, so my dad is running the line into my room aswell.

So i will have a telephone jack in my room, splitting into the sky box, and the other split going into the eircom router, so ill have direct connection to the router

so i should be able to open my nat

this is going to be a very sweet christmas :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

well got a blessing

my daddio is upgrading to sky plus and we get to keep the old box and im getting it into my room. But to run boxes all boxes now require to be hooked up to a telephone line, so my dad is running the line into my room aswell.

So i will have a telephone jack in my room, splitting into the sky box, and the other split going into the eircom router, so ill have direct connection to the router

so i should be able to open my nat

this is going to be a very sweet christmas :)

Are you going to sell your wireless connector for cheap? I might have a buyer.

im giving it to my dad sorry :P

thank guys for all the help

YOU BOARDSIES ARE GREAT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I think the problem lies with the internet sharing you have to enable.

The xbox isn't in the same range as the IP the router gives the pc because your pc is essentially assigning the ip to the xbox.

Waiting on a length of cat5 to run to my router myself but tried the sharing last night and some games worked fine but others wanted the NAT settings changed but I don't think I can in this setup. Tried changing the xbox ip but then I failed the connection tests.

Wired ftw :)

Advertisement