Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying books online

Options
  • 29-11-2007 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭

I was wondering, where do you buy books online? I tried amazon.ie, but it just redirects to amazon.co.uk, which looks like it was banged together by someone in 1997, its hard to navigate, and doesn't give me the information I need. Also they apparently sell bedding, tables, and home cookware accessories on the same site.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mr. Bones

I always thought Amazon was one of the easiest to use websites around. Only gripe I'd have with it is that you don't have the shipping cost confirmed until you've reached the last page of the order process. Although if you're using it regularly you'd probably get to know the various shipping costs for the different items, books, CDs, etc. Ebay would be the only other site I'd use for books.

Edit: What info do you need on the books that Amazon doesn't give you?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://amazon.co.uk - never had a bother and I buy about a book/month from them. Their site is very user friendly and easy to navigate.

http://www.eason.ie/
    http://www.sinnfeinbookshop.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Mr. Bones wrote: »
    Edit: What info do you need on the books that Amazon doesn't give you?
    Whats the difficulty with Amazon? Well for a start, when I type a search, the text is white on white in firefox. Unforgivable for any large ecommerce site. Secondly I can't specify that I only want new books, which is the only kind I buy. Also I want books, not home accessories, and thats a very small part of their overall site, its a bit of a gypsy market there. They also resell from a variety of different sellers with a "trust" rating. I want a bookshop, not ebay. Yes, a lot of "wants" in there, but I am the buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Whats the difficulty with Amazon? Well for a start, when I type a search, the text is white on white in firefox. Unforgivable for any large ecommerce site.
    It's always been black text for any search I've done in FF, quite possible that that's caused by a local problem at your end.

Fair point on the general design of the site though, it does try to be all things to all people.

Personally I find the free delivery for books on play.com to be something of an attractant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Whats the difficulty with Amazon? Well for a start, when I type a search, the text is white on white in firefox. Unforgivable for any large ecommerce site.

The search box text is fine for me also in Firefox.
    Secondly I can't specify that I only want new books, which is the only kind I buy. Also I want books, not home accessories, and thats a very small part of their overall site, its a bit of a gypsy market there. They also resell from a variety of different sellers with a "trust" rating. I want a bookshop, not ebay. Yes, a lot of "wants" in there, but I am the buyer.
    You click on Books (suprisingly) on the top, and then when you search it only searches the Book section. Or from the main page, in the drop down menu beside the search box, you just select Books (its the first option after Amazon.co.uk).
    All books sold by Amazon are new afaik, only marketplace sellers sell used books.
    Buy New = Amazon
    xx used and new = Marketplace, some of which are shops themselves
    :confused:
    Most people actual like the marketplace sellers as you can often get items much cheaper from them.

In fairness if you have that many complaints about amazon I don't think there is any point in you buying online as you are unlikely to find a site to your rather picky liking.
    I use play.com as well as amazon but it also sells lots of stuff apart from books and it also has its version of "marketplace" sellers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Also they apparently sell bedding, tables, and home cookware accessories on the same site.
    Oh your right, their book sections must be rubbish if they have the cheek to diversify and sell other stuff..

You should see Amazon.com, they sell everything its possible to sell in the whole planet earth :)

I'm still a fan of actually going into book shops, but I'm a bit retro like that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

mcgovern wrote: »
    The search box text is fine for me also in Firefox.
    Would you like me to send you a screencap? :p
    mcgovern wrote: »
    In fairness if you have that many complaints about amazon I don't think there is any point in you buying online as you are unlikely to find a site to your rather picky liking.
    I buy many things online, this is the first time I have gone looking for books, however. If I want computer parts, I go to komplett or one of those. Basically, in terms of usability, I find it distracting and difficult to use. Compare that site with for example the aforementioned komplett, a simple and easy to use site that shows you clearly where you are and how to get what you want.

So if there are any alternatives, with an interface that wasn't designed by a committee of MBAs on acid (and there is no excuse whatsoever for bad design in this day and age for a group as large as Amazon), I'd like to know about them. Hence the thread.

And many thanks to those that have suggested ideas on other sites to check, by the way.
    Oh your right, their book sections must be rubbish if they have the cheek to diversify and sell other stuff..
    If they hadn't lost whatever usability was originally on their site in their quest for exciting new wares to flog, I might be more inclined to buy books from them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I would have thought being cheap, reliable and safe was enough for Amazon.co.uk.

Sounds like you have a bee in your bonnet!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I've always found amazon.co.uk and amazon.com very easy to use though agree that the thing about shipping costs is annoying (and also some sellers don't ship to Ireland and you only find out when you complete your order).

Maybe try barnseandnoble.com (haven't used them myself but they should exclusively sell books and book related paraphenalia).

Alternatively, google the book you're looking for and see what selling options come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

I usually buy from the book depository through play.com. The prices are shown in euro and include delivery. The price is usually at least €3-€4 cheaper than the shops. If you go to play.com pick a book, click on other sellers and the book depository is usually the cheapest of the lot. I only use amazon.com/.co.uk if its unavailable there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

www.abebooks.com is my favourite, but the shipping can be a bit of a killer. I got charged £8 shipping by a place in the UK, but unfortunately they had the only copy of a book I was looking for (which turned out to be a disappointment). There are lots of books for $1, and shipping is generally $4-5 from the US, and with the current exchange rate, it's pretty good value.

Some of the books have been very well read though, so that may be an issue for the more anal book lovers out there, who don't even open books the full way in case the spine gets a crease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Just came across this site Bestsellers.ie http://www.bestsellers.ie/index.php
    Havent bought anything from it yet but I see they take laser so thats handy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Initially I avoided amazon because I heard it was a bad site but I had to order some last minute christmas books and I found it easy to use, good service etc...
    The range of books they have is phenomenal. I also like being able to search names, topics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

TheBookDepository.co.uk

Prices are in sterling but free delivery worldwide:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mrDuke

what about second hand books, i usually find ebay and amazon great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

For second hand books abebooks.co.uk are excellent, and often much cheaper than Amazon. The thing with the posting is sometimes it is better to pay an extra pound/euro/dollar because the postage rates can be considerably cheaper, but it is brilliant for out of print or hard books to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Amazon.com is way better,cheaper and more reliable than .co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Would it be cheaper to buy from amazon.com rather than from amazon.co.uk as the euro is stronger against the dollar. Would you save much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

amazon.co.uk are very good.
    On one occasion an order hadn't arrived after a couple of weeks. I contacted them about it and they sent out the order again without quibble. The parcel arrived the next day, and the second one a short time later. They said to keep them both. excellent attitude which is refreshing since most places I've bought things from online seem to think you should give them your money and then fnck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭hupyago

I'd recommend http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/
    I've already got some stuff from them theres no delivery fee and you can find some great books there
    also http://www.alibris.com seems to have some very good deals available

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Yes amazon.com is definately cheaper and the marketplace sellers are more reliable.
    I ordered a book from amazon.com and it arrived only 10 days later,that's fast.
    It costs $12.49 to expedite a book but it's well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Bookfinder.com is an excellent resource for book availibility and total cost, meaning cost of delivrery etc included in the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭YogiBear

www.biblio.com
    I find it easy to use and about biblio:

Biblio.com is a marketplace for used, rare & out-of-print books.

Welcome to Biblio, the preferred global marketplace for buying used, rare, and out-of-print books and textbooks. We take pride in bringing together over 5500 professional, independent booksellers from around the world, to offer you over 50 million high quality used books to choose from. So, whether you're looking for out of print books, first editions, signed books, or just great used books at even better prices, you've found the right place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Sconsey

YogiBear wrote: »
    www.biblio.com
    I find it easy to use and about biblio:

Biblio.com is a marketplace for used, rare & out-of-print books.

How would you rate the accuracy of the condition of the books? have you ever been delivered a book that was falling apart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I've just ordered a rare book from www.powells.com I will let you know how it went. (First edition signed Raymond Carver)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

buck65 wrote: »
    First edition signed Raymond Carver

Nice. What book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭YogiBear

Sconsey wrote: »
    How would you rate the accuracy of the condition of the books? have you ever been delivered a book that was falling apart?
    Their description on condition tends to be honest as they sell rare & out of print books.. for example here's one:
    Condition: Fair. Binding tight. Pages have some highlighting and some corner folds. Previous owner's name written on back cover.
    From my experience, I've never had any problems & I buy a good few books.. They have a good returns policy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Nice. What book?

At night the salmon move - collecion of poems. 1976

Advertisement