Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Linking motor tax to CO2 emissions.

Options
  • 29-11-2007 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

I believe this is on the cards, but it seems somewhat unfair to me.

Now, lets say that i want to buy a 20 Litre ferrari to tool around the country once a year. It would place less of a burden on the country's roads (and the environment) than my 1.6 Litre golf, which i drive 400 miles a week in my commute. Why should I pay more for the ferrari because of a theoretical per-mile calculation?

It seems that the fairest and simplest way to tax motorists is per-mile, with a weighting to take the car's emissions per mile into account. But how would one accomplish this dazzlingly complicated calculation? TAX THE FUEL!

This would
    A: penalise those who make unnessary trips, or do not live wthin reasonable commuting distance from their work.
    B: reward those who use vehicles with good fuel economy.

Wait. Don't they allready tax fuel? So what's the point of an emissions-based annual tax again?

Advertisement