Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which League is the best?

• 29-11-2007 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

In my opinion no other debate causes as much conflict. People will unleash clichés such as ''Serie A is boring''...''The English League relies too much on passion than actual skill...'

Is there anyway of defining the best League? Is success in Europe the appropriate yardstick?

Perhaps the Uefa cup would be a better way of assessing each League, as it demonstrates how good teams are outside the top 4(or 3)

I love Serie A, but I have to vote for La Liga. It is just so competitive.

Which League is the best? 58 votes

English Premier League
    0% 0 votes
    Spanish La Liga
    56% 33 votes
    Serie A
    39% 23 votes
    Other
    3% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

League of Ireland all the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yep, definitely LOI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

League of Gentlemen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Perhaps the Uefa cup would be a better way of assessing each League, as it demonstrates how good teams are outside the top 4(or 3)

Yeah thats what I think aswell. IMO if you took the top teams out of each league, the top 3 leagues would be:

1. La Liga
    2. Premiership
    3. Serie A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Naming a "best" league all depends on what you're looking for.

If I had to watch a match between two random teams from any one league, it'd be La Liga. The Boro-Fulham type matches in the Premier League are just awful (I know there are poor teams in La Liga too but the football is generally far more attractive)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sorry, the crap matches in La Liga are just awful too. The reason people like La Liga is because we have limited exposure to it. We only ever really see Barca and Real play, then Valencia and Sevilla on the odd occassion. Imagine watching United or Arsenal play every week, you'd think the premiership is amazing.

The thing that differeniates it for me is not those teams, or those random matches, it's how teams line up against the top teams. In england, they go defensive and try to nick and draw or a 1-0 win. In Spain, they attack and sometimes win but mostly lose. That makes La Liga better for me. However, I think that is slowly changing in the premiership, with teams like Reading and Wigan coming up and having a real go at you, not playing 'fear football'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The Bundesliga is always entertaining.

A good mix of technical and direct football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

eircom League of Ireland First Division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

MLS no question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

PHB wrote: »
    The thing that differeniates it for me is not those teams, or those random matches, it's how teams line up against the top teams. In Spain, they attack and sometimes win but mostly lose.
    Yes and from what I've seen they attack against each other too - hence why I think Zaragoza v Betis or whatever is better to watch. I never said the standard is better, just that the football is more attractive (i.e. in its approach)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

DesF wrote: »

The other lads were messing. You really believe this dont you :D

shane86 wrote: »
    The other lads were messing. You really believe this dont you :D

:)

It's the league my teams play in.

It's the league I have most love* for.

*I hate the eLoIFD, feckin graveyard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

ya can take out the e,f and d and that last statement is still true betty ;)

No it isn't.

I DO love the LoI. :confused:

Have you been drinking Al, or what?

just a little tired and emotional is all Des, this last week with Rafa-gate has taken its toll :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Dutch League or one of the South American divisions ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Premiership for the ease-of-access,
    La Liga for the randomness and Barca,
    Serie A for eh...,
    Eircom League for the live-ness.

I reckon those South America leagues kick all ass though, would love a Boca season ticket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

The PL is shiote loike. in la liga they piss liquid gold and sh1t bricks made of platnium.

imo, its impossible to tell which league is 'better'. thats just some fantasy dunphy makes up when hes finished watching his half hour of la liga on sky every sunday.
    look at the way they ar$e licked that barca-lyon match "oh its just the best, look at everything they do, so much better blablabla". its propaganda if ya ask me.
    Your License fees line their wallets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,345 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

No great surprise to see the EPL ahead as the majority on here will support an EPL team therefore the poll is pretty meaningless. Those who voted for a league other than the EPL probably do not support a team in the EPL.

BTW, I voted for the other... the SPL :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Loi..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

No great surprise to see the EPL ahead as the majority on here will support an EPL team therefore the poll is pretty meaningless. Those who voted for a league other than the EPL probably do not support a team in the EPL.

BTW, I voted for the other... the SPL :D

Oh dear Hoff no!

The eircom league pisses all over the SPL.

I still say Bundesliga is the most consistently entertaining league, along with La Liga and whatever the Argentinian league is called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

The Bundesliga is always entertaining.

A good mix of technical and direct football.
    Actually I'd agree with this. It's probably the only league I'll watch where, no matter who is playing, I know I'm going to be entertained. I know that sounds like a weird statement, but there you are. I'm never enthralled about watching Fulham v Derby, Getafe v Levante, or Siena v Livorno (altho I still will just cos I love football), but give me Energie Cottbus versus MSV Duisburg and I find myself intrigued. Plus the fans and the crowd over there are wicked, absolutely 100% football mad, they add so much to the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Sorry, the crap matches in La Liga are just awful too. The reason people like La Liga is because we have limited exposure to it. We only ever really see Barca and Real play, then Valencia and Sevilla on the odd occassion. Imagine watching United or Arsenal play every week, you'd think the premiership is amazing.
    all'.

Theres just as much coverage of La Liga as the Premiership on Sky so I dont see your point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

gustavo wrote: »
    Theres just as much coverage of La Liga as the Premiership on Sky so I dont see your point

There are more TV stations than just Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Bundesliga does seem like a great league, but of course TV exposure to us over in Ireland is quite limited. As other posters have mentioned, the atmosphere in the german stadiums is second to none and the style of football seems very attack minded as well.

However, I still went for the EPL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Quantify "Best".

For me it would be the most "watchable". Dutch League is like a seed competition for players - a lot of new talents for other leagues start there.

The most interesting is the Italian Serie A, not always for the right reasons, but where else would you see an Inter fan punch a Juventus fan in Parliament!

The most athletic is the English - power, power,money and power. Doesn't do it for me, I'd prefer the coca cola league.

For technique it's Spain, and technical qualities are what I like best in a player.

10 years ago Italy had the perfect blend, for me, of technique, excitement and competitiveness.

To sum up, the question is not really phrased well enough, and everyone will have a different opinion based on where their club plays. I say "bugger that" my club is Leeds Utd, but I'm not for one moment going to suggest the "Best League" is in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

AUL Div 2a Sat.

Savman wrote: »
    AUL Div 2a Sat.
    :eek:

What about the other league you play in?

Traitor.

• Advertisement

oooohhhhhhhhh fight! fight! fight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I heartily agree. See you next season!

Deffo, but only if you try an sort out the weather situation in The Flan Siro.

Every time we visit it's windy and cold.

Even in June.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    oooohhhhhhhhh fight! fight! fight!
    :D

More like Sav is dropped tbh, until he bucks his ideas up.

I hate airing dirty laundry in public though, highly unprofessional for a manager of my standing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Deffo, but only if you try an sort out the weather situation in The Flan Siro.

Every time we visit it's windy and cold.

not unlike longford women..

Roar wrote: »
    not unlike longford women..

Will I be seeing you on Sunday Roar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Not one vote for Serie A.

Shame the Italian FA are really letting corruption, cheating, hooliganism and a variety of other issues kill the game. Not to mention the monopoly that the top 4 teams have on TV money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I think the Serie A has got more exciting in recent years, but the star power does not exist anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

La Liga mainly as the champions can lose up to 10 games a season and really deserve to lose those matches vs anyone in the league, better players play there. Hands down La Liga is best.

2nd is the English Premierships Champions League otherwie known as the top four, some teams in the UEFA spots can be watchable but Spurs BBurn Villa and portsmouth can be seriously awful to watch with their style of play and general issues. They can beat the top four rarity but still possible. PL top four fansexpect their team to win every game as they that much better then whats below them.

La Liga is different below teams have the players and the passion to beat the top 2.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Will I be seeing you on Sunday Roar?

unfortunately not Des, manning the office that day.. at least i'll be able to watch it anyway.. that and after Shels away this year, I've banned myself from any away trips in the Cup... better for all concerned i think!

hah, yeah.

Hope we get ye in a cup next season.

This time we'll beat ye, and it'ss be another escuse for me to abuse the absolute shíte out of peanur Kearney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Champions League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

:eek:

What about the other league you play in?

Traitor.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

La Liga.

Higher number of quality teams. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

The reason people like La Liga is because we have limited exposure to it. We only ever really see Barca and Real play, then Valencia and Sevilla on the odd occassion. Imagine watching United or Arsenal play every week, you'd think the premiership is amazing.
    Does that apply in reverse i.e. do you think Spanish people are in awe of the Premiership coz they similarly have limited exposure to it? I doubt it very much, but they probably don't care either way. Madrid and Barca supporters consider their clubs to be the biggest in the world and expect to beat every team put in front of them from whatever league that may be. The rest of the clubs in Spain would feel similarly towards the big two, whether they admit it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

England.

Spain is too easy to score in.

Milosovic, Kovecevic, Morientes, Forlan, Kanoute.

Contraversial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

KdjaCL wrote: »
    La Liga mainly as the champions can lose up to 10 games a season and really deserve to lose those matches vs anyone in the league, better players play there. Hands down La Liga is best.

2nd is the English Premierships Champions League otherwie known as the top four, some teams in the UEFA spots can be watchable but Spurs BBurn Villa and portsmouth can be seriously awful to watch with their style of play and general issues. They can beat the top four rarity but still possible. PL top four fansexpect their team to win every game as they that much better then whats below them.

La Liga is different below teams have the players and the passion to beat the top 2.

kdjac
    What is wrong with Villa's style of play exactly? Alot of pace and creativity in the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Tauren wrote: »
    England.

Spain is too easy to score in.

Milosovic, Kovecevic, Morientes, Forlan, Kanoute.

Contraversial.

Spain.

England is too easy to make it as a mediocre player in.

Kevin Davies, Kevin Nolan, Vinnie Jones...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

An Citeog wrote: »
    Spain.

England is too easy to make it as a mediocre player in.

Kevin Davies, Kevin Nolan, Vinnie Jones...
    HAH!

All AVERAGE players for AVERAGE teams.

I'm sure there is players in the same style in Spain.

Aldo Duscher for one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Tauren wrote: »
    HAH!

All AVERAGE players for AVERAGE teams.

I'm sure there is players in the same style in Spain.

Aldo Duscher for one!

Yeah, not very good with the aul' examples! :o

The point I was trying to make is that saying it's too easy to score goals in is just a sweeping generalisation. There's a lot more emphasis on passing, technical ability and attacking football in Spain than there is in England. Just like Forlan never managed to make it with United, would Alan Shearer have been a top striker in Spain? What about Emile Heskey, Darius Vassell, Defoe? These are/were all England internationals and established players in the Premiership.

Outside the top 4, the quality in England is very poor. In Spain, you'll nearly always have Madrid and Barça in the top 4. The other 2 places though, are up for grabs between the likes of Valencia, Villarreal, Sevilla, Atletico and Espanyol. There's more balance in the league and there's no such thing as an easy 3 point banker, particularly away from home. That's what makes La Liga number 1 for me with the Premiership in second place, Serie A 3rd and the Bundesliga in 4th.

Advertisement