Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livigno in Jan 08

• 29-11-2007 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    4 of us heading to Livigno on the 26th of Jan for a week. 3 of us are total beginners and from reading other posts here, livigno seems like a good resort for the beginner. One or two questions for ye.
    We are staying in the Hotel Picollo Tibet and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a ski school ? Are they all the same ? And if so do we just book the nearest one to the hotel (which seems to be at the bottom of lift 20)?
    Also does anyone have information on the "Mountain Feast"? I've seen it mentioned on boards but cannot find any info on it.
    Lastly, we are getting a taxi from Burgamo to Livigno. Only 4 of us so if any other small group want to share an 8 seater pm me and we may share to cut costs. (hope this doesn't break any rules)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

claw14 wrote: »
    We are staying in the Hotel Picollo Tibet and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a ski school ? Are they all the same ? And if so do we just book the nearest one to the hotel (which seems to be at the bottom of lift 20)?
    I can't actually remember the name of the school I went to, but just did a quick check and there and these guys start at lift 20: http://www.mountain-toursltd.com/aaenglish/scuola_italiana_sci_livigno.htm
    Having said that though, there are regular free buses all around Livigno so it wouldn't have to be next door to your hotel (but at the same time it shouldn't be on the other side of the resort)
    Also does anyone have information on the "Mountain Feast"? I've seen it mentioned on boards but cannot find any info on it.
    Ah, the Tea Borch. I had to give this a miss because it was expensive enough but nearly all my other friends went and said it was brilliant. From what I gather they take you up one of the slopes in a skidoo to a restaurant where you have dinner and just drink for the rest of the night, and walk back down the slope. Kinda wish I'd gone tbh.

I'd recommend hiring tobogans (there'll be a night where one slope is kept open and you tear down on the tobogans, it's excellent) and the skidoos, which is pricey but worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Welcome claw14!

Im also going to be in Livigno the week of the 26th! Arrive Bergamo @ 10.30.

From what I remember last year you can get buses just outside the airport, you should ask around once you arrive as alot of the buses will all be going in the same direction, you might be able to hop on of the them for a few euro.

I know if your going snowboarding the best school is Madness near the Corsella 3000. A friend of mine last year went with the Snowboard school near lift 20, hated it, then moved to the Madness school. Im not sure if they teach Skiing lessons though...

The Tea Borch does have a great reputation, like Necromomicon I missed it last year but Im going to make sure I get going this year.

We are a group of 10 x 26+ Mixed group if you fancy meeting up some night for a few, we have a couple of begineers too but they are all going Snowboarding rather than skiing, you're more than welcome to join us any night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I know if your going snowboarding the best school is Madness near the Corsella 3000. A friend of mine last year went with the Snowboard school near lift 20, hated it, then moved to the Madness school. Im not sure if they teach Skiing lessons though

Ah cheers Static, that was the name I couldn't remember. I would heartily endorse that school, it was excellent. Our instructor was possibly the coolest guy on earth.

Two of the people in my party were skiing and did school, I'm not sure if it was Madness though. But since we were all in the same package, I assumed it was all the one, not 100% sure though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭claw14

Cheers folks,
    A friend of mine was there before and advised us to get a taxi from the airport. He reckons it's onlt 3.5 hours whereas the buss take 4.5 and more. More expensive by taxi but a lot more comfort after the flight. We'll see what happens.
    Us 3 beginners are going skiing, but I'l check out madness to see if they do ski lessons. Thanks for the invite for beers Static M.e. You never know we may bump into each other out there. We will be all the ones in the LIDL and Aldi Jackets !!!!!!! We arrive a 12 in Burgamo

Thanks for the advice.

It seems easy enough to get around Livigno. Will have to check how easy it is to get to Madness from the hotel each morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

madness are snowboard only, madness are at lift 17(near the church), the ski school are at doss 18(accross from marcos bar), ski scuola sci livigno or something, ill think of it later cant remember at the moment!)
    They have a very easy beginners slope as it has a magic carpet.

Madness are brilliant though, been with them a few times, have a great laugh with them, reminds me of surfing lessons! laid back and easy going.

But that ski school was also supposed to be good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Neilthefunkee1

ah man im off to livigno this year myself.. the week before you guys though! you got those aldi/lidl jackets.. i can not express how crap they are.. if i were you id hit up txmaxx and get a good jacket!! i had one last year. Zip broke the first morning. the button on the gaiter broke. and it was not waterproof. ended up forking out for a quiksilver jkt over there!!!!

anyway back to livigno.. IM MAD EXCITED!!!!!!!! Ill keep the bar seats warm for you guys!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

anyway back to livigno.. IM MAD EXCITED!!!!!!!! Ill keep the bar seats warm for you guys!!!:D

Heading the same week as Neil - If I had my way I'd still be sitting on the bar stools when they arrive, and not getting the poxy bus back to the airport - ahh well - suppsoe I gotta get back to work and start savin for the next trip ;)

tell me about it man.. well hopefully ill be back in march for the irish champs.. that should be a blast!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭claw14

Well Neill,
    The way I figure it with teh Aldi stuff is that it's my first ski trip and I don't know if or when I'll be going again so it's not worth breaking the bank on gear. If the jacket gives up I can always buy a good one out there and I'm sorted again. It's not as if I'll have to go without for the week. I reckon, plenty of layers, good socks and gloves and I should be fine.
    But, as I said it's my first ski trip so I haven't a clue what to expect.

P.S. Loads more snow in Livigno over the weekend. People skiing there this morning on the webcams. Can't wait to give it a lash ,...........

claw14 wrote: »
    Well Neill,
    The way I figure it with teh Aldi stuff is that it's my first ski trip and I don't know if or when I'll be going again so it's not worth breaking the bank on gear.

P.S. Loads more snow in Livigno over the weekend. People skiing there this morning on the webcams. Can't wait to give it a lash ,...........

yeah suppose your right there!! their socks and thermals are great value.. Was lookingf at a pair of billabong board socks in the great outdoors there yesterday... 30EURO.. i nearly s**t myself!!! the ones in aldi were 3.50 and look better!!!!

ANd prayin to the snow gods this yr after last yr's crappy snow levels!!! All bow down to the mighty snow god!!

• Advertisement

We dont deserve crap snow this year after last year!
    Hardly any snow in Sauze D'Oulx last Jan (none on the lower slopes) - and got lucky with a tiny fall in Mayrhofen in Feb (hardly any snow off piste and icy in places on)
    We all deserve decent powder this year - praying for a huge dump of snow a week or two before we go!! Cant wait!!!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I'm going to Livigno on the 26th January too, and I'm a complete beginner too. Was skiing at that dry slop with school years ago, but we didn't get alot of time on it.

Large enough group of us going, not sure where we're staying, but the guy organising it has ski schools booked for us. Can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Nice one bennyx_o!

I'll see you in Livigno!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ciggs

I am heading on the 19th of Jan - just checked the web cam and it is snowing as i type. Ah i can't wait. :D:D:D

livigno 19th - 26th jan....

24 of us going.. for some skiing, boarding and general piss taking!! we booked 25 places.. cant get any interest between our mates orr mates of others going.. anyone intested???

le details are here.....http://www.snowsoc.tk click on the abroad page....

any questions.. ask away!!

Hey Neil - hope you get that place filled!! Will keep my ear to the ground.

Nice site too - great pics - Andorra 07 section brings back memories of 06 for me - we stayed in the apparments next to Mulligans - had a great laugh there!!

Advertisement