Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who should be Club Captain ?

Options
  • 29-11-2007 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

Officially the club cpatain is Ledley with Robbie as vice however with Ledleys long injury absence Robbie has effectively been leading the team for the last two seasons.

I'm been a believer that the captain should be either a defender or defensive midfielder. Someone who can lead from the back when pushing forward but also to be in the thick of defence when under pressure in order to calm, instruct, encourage and lead from example.

Currently theres no one player who stands out as a born leader but I'm starting to think maybe Dawson could
    step up to the challenge. I think he would improve himself and maybe pull the defence together. In the same way that Campbell and King did when they first took over the Captaincy.

Robbie has been my favourite player for the last few seasons and I'd still keep him as vice captain.

Any opinions lads ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

RichMc70 wrote: »
    Officially the club cpatain is Ledley with Robbie as vice however with Ledleys long injury absence Robbie has effectively been leading the team for the last two seasons.

I'm been a believer that the captain should be either a defender or defensive midfielder. Someone who can lead from the back when pushing forward but also to be in the thick of defence when under pressure in order to calm, instruct, encourage and lead from example.

Currently theres no one player who stands out as a born leader but I'm starting to think maybe Dawson could
    step up to the challenge. I think he would improve himself and maybe pull the defence together. In the same way that Campbell and King did when they first took over the Captaincy.

Robbie has been my favourite player for the last few seasons and I'd still keep him as vice captain.

Any opinions lads ?
    Think we have had this conversation a couple of times, but can't find the thread - anyone else have it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Someone mentioned Jenas as a possible captain on another Spurs baord for much the same reasons as picking Dawson, that it would improve his all round game.
    Slightly o/t but does captain mean anything in this day and age? The inspirational player will be inspirational whether he's captain or not. And the other sort will just be there to go up and toss the coin ... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 wexfordchels

Trevor Tanner.....hear he's a good leader....

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Lol. Not sure Trevor Tanner would be suitable Chels although I hear he's great on the attack.

I know what your saying Yiddo it can be a psycological thing but psycology is a big part of the game at this level. I just think Dawson would respond the most to wearing of the Captains arm band and bring out the leader that weve been missing this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I reckon a CB has to be captain, but I wonder is Dawson outspoken enough to take the role?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I reckon Ramos could turn him into captain material if he's given chance. I'm only speculating amongst the current crop that we have. Who knows what players may come in or go out come January.

Who is CB ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

RichMc70 wrote: »

Who is CB ?

Centre back.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matrixroyal

To me, captaincy is about showing leadership by example, having a good attitude on and off the pitch, doing it when it matters in big matches. To me Keane is head and shoulders about the others in this regard. I'm not his biggest fan ( for ireland ) but he has been great for spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I don't think anyone in the current line up really stands out anyway. I mean, it should be someone who gets their game week in week out. I don't really know if Robbie should be in this position as a striker. Dawson would probably be next up as I would rather see a brand new CM within the season.

Advertisement