Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That Damn Orange Button

Options
  • 29-11-2007 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭

Finished Medium on GH1, 2 and 3, and could never get past the first tier on Hard. That orange button is a killer.

I've decided that GH3 is where I'm going to try and master it.

I started the first tier last night on hard, and used practice mode to slow the song down (fantastic feature).

What I want to know is whats the best way to use all 5 buttons?

1. Use your 3 strong fingers over the first 3 buttons, and stretch the pinkie between blue and orange?

2. Move all 4 fingers as required, so you're moving from G,R,Y,B to R,Y,B,O (I think this would be hard to keep track of).

3. Straddle G and R, or R and Y with one finger and flick between them or chord them with one finger if required.

Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

play hard go pro

practice i assume :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Mr E wrote: »
    2. Move all 4 fingers as required, so you're moving from G,R,Y,B to R,Y,B,O (I think this would be hard to keep track of).

Option 2 and persevere. If you have GH2 as well and you start sucking on GH3, go back to 2 and play some of the easier songs on GH2 to keep practicing.

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Yeah option 2 is the most suitable in the majority of cases as you will rarely be going from Orange back to green so a "slide" down to orange is handy. It will take a bit of getting used to hitting red with your index and yellow with your pinky after you have moved down but you will get used to it.

There are some good songs on GHII for practicing, I'll post them later if I remember.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If there is a prolonged section in which the green button is not used, I will tend to move my fingers accordingly. Usually though it's four fingers with the pinkie moving between blue and orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Option 2, and I actually find it easier to play with my index finger over red and little finger over orange and move my hand up for green.

The intro of Sweet Child of Mine is an example of where I find it much more comfortable playing it this way.

It takes a fair bit of getting used to, the trick for me was to look for the yellow button, it has the line in the middle of it so I know where my hand is. Easiest way for me to regain positioning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Option 2 would be your best bet... my index and middle fingers drift to the last three keys for faster sections though, getting them back onto the right keys afterwards can be tricky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

im still struggling with the poxy blue lol

its all grand until i have to chord with blue and red after playing a yellow

i just physically cant make the fingers do it haha

i suppose like anything practice is the only option

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

just play on hard all the time,easy/medium is pointless as theres no challenge so you'll always be in the comfort zone, the first time i nailed more than a feeling on expert *cough* 96% *cough* was a great day lol

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just to follow up on this, I never thought I'd get used to that bloody orange button. But I dug in over Christmas, used practice mode (alot!), and now I'm 28 songs into the Hard mode.

The latest spanner - the 3 button chords in Cherub Rock. Just need to practice more! :)

Its so rewarding when you get a song that you've been struggling with for 10-15 attempts...

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

finally got hit me with your best shot on hard...12 songs into hard now...wooo...still tough though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Stuck on 7th tier now (the one with Knights of Cydonia, 3s and 7s etc.). Road block.... getting hard now.

I finally got GH2, and I'm getting stuck into Hard on that too.

Advertisement