Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slash

Options
  • 29-11-2007 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Just finished Slash's autobiography, i can honestly say it kept me at the edge of my seat, turuly enjoyed every word of it, the man is a legend, sheer madness, and to be still alive to tell the tale, honestly back in the day i din't think he would make it out of his madness alive but he has, any else read this book???? views?????

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I'm reading through it at the moment. Loving it so far. Just after the part where they're recording through the marshall that Slash tries to steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Not yet, but cheers for the heads up on it. He's my favorite guitarist of all time (im not saying he is the best, just my favorite !!)
    Must get my hands on it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I've moved a load of posts over to this thread.

Honestly guys, this topic is supposed to be about Slash's autobiography, so keep it on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I read it and while I enjoyed the stories and his attitudes and opinions a couple of things annoyed me about the book

First of all my fourteen year old brother could write better and with more style, I'm aware the ghost writer was probably trying to make is as accessible as possible but it was pure bubblegum from start to finish.

It's very obvious when Slash is lying and he lies several times throughout the book, most glaring example is when he talks about one of the heroin deaths he was involved in.

Starting stories and then saying "but we'll get to that later"

Telling stories that have nothing to do with anything and only seem to be included so he can create "rock and roll mystique", good example is the story about displaying their tattoos to the Yakuza, it's was completely pointless.

It's been reported that he wants to reconcile things with Axl and I think he deliberately pulled every single punch when talking about him, I didn't like it and I think he should have been more honest about their relationship and the problems they had.

It's an enjoyable book due to the situations he and G N'R constantly found themselves in but I really think it could have been done so much better, despite all this it's still worth the read.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

the fnj wrote: »
    I read it and while I enjoyed the stories and his attitudes and opinions a couple of things annoyed me about the book

First of all my fourteen year old brother could write better and with more style, I'm aware the ghost writer was probably trying to make is as accessible as possible but it was pure bubblegum from start to finish.

It's very obvious when Slash is lying and he lies several times throughout the book, most glaring example is when he talks about one of the heroin deaths he was involved in.

Starting stories and then saying "but we'll get to that later"

Telling stories that have nothing to do with anything and only seem to be included so he can create "rock and roll mystique", good example is the story about displaying their tattoos to the Yakuza, it's was completely pointless.

It's been reported that he wants to reconcile things with Axl and I think he deliberately pulled every single punch when talking about him, I didn't like it and I think he should have been more honest about their relationship and the problems they had.

It's an enjoyable book due to the situations he and G N'R constantly found themselves in but I really think it could have been done so much better, despite all this it's still worth the read.

finally!! sombody who sees past the sugar coating!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

kona wrote: »
    finally!! sombody who sees past the sugar coating!!!!

No no kona! be nice!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

Though it was a very good read. Gives a good insight to why he left GNR. The rock star antics weren't that mad, but maybe thats cause I read The Dirt first.

yeah i read the dirt first classic read but i thoroughly enjoyed slash's book more, the ****er had it though with his friend dying in his arms then nikki sixx od'n in his hotel room then being blamed for it!!! f**king nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Dont say any more guys, please. My sister got it for me for Christmas, so I haven't read it yet.

Looking forward to it, though. I think Slash is sooo f**kin cool.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

hah!
    slash is on the ad for the new guitar hero game.
    off topic i know but,ara sure you'll have that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

Dont say any more guys, please. My sister got it for me for Christmas, so I haven't read it yet.

Looking forward to it, though. I think Slash is sooo f**kin cool.

Then dont read the thread............

I was considering buying it but i always think biographies are full of bollix anyway and anyway in a week it'll be free on wikipedia anyway: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Its So Easy

Well I got the book ages ago and well anybody that believes 100% of what is said in the book by Slash is fairly naive. I mean he got where he was born WRONG and it was pointed out by his DAD. The book is a good read but if people are looking at this as a definitive history of GNR then this is the wrong book for you. It is Slash's views and as he says many times in the book "Im sure other people will have different views on things."

Also the poster that said he should have taken more shots at Axl, I disagree as what would it have achieved ? Nothing just make an already sour situation worse.

One glaring mistake that is very obvious due to video footage of the incident avaliable on the net. The incident in question was the St Louis Riot. Slash says that he went to the side of the stage and asked Doug Goldstein(manager at the time), whether Axl was coming back on stage, which means that Slash and the band kept playing after Axl slammed the mic down and walked off stage. Now if you watch the footage it clearly shows that Slash and the rest of the band walked off stage after Axl got back on stage.

Other than that, im fine over the book as I take it as a good read but like films based on true stories, don't take it as gospel.

Well I got the book ages ago and well anybody that believes 100% of what is said in the book by Slash is fairly naive. I mean he got where he was born WRONG and it was pointed out by his DAD. The book is a good read but if people are looking at this as a definitive history of GNR then this is the wrong book for you. It is Slash's views and as he says many times in the book "Im sure other people will have different views on things."

Also the poster that said he should have taken more shots at Axl, I disagree as what would it have achieved ? Nothing just make an already sour situation worse.

One glaring mistake that is very obvious due to video footage of the incident avaliable on the net. The incident in question was the St Louis Riot. Slash says that he went to the side of the stage and asked Doug Goldstein(manager at the time), whether Axl was coming back on stage, which means that Slash and the band kept playing after Axl slammed the mic down and walked off stage. Now if you watch the footage it clearly shows that Slash and the rest of the band walked off stage after Axl got back on stage.

Other than that, im fine over the book as I take it as a good read but like films based on true stories, don't take it as gospel.

As far as i remember axl never came back on stage, and i do remember slash talking to the crowd with some jiberish!!!! but axl walked off and never returned!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

I enjoyed it, good read.
    I'd take everything said with a pinch of salt though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I think I'll read it. Though by the sounds of it he lies? There's no reason to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Can anyone answer me a question here: In the book, Slash seems to not like AXL adding Dizzy to the GNR line-up, due to not likeing keyboards or whatever it is...... So why is Dizzy also in Slash's Snakepit?

Was there something I missed there? I only noticed this when I looked at the band line-up on the cd. I could be wrong, but as far as I remember, Slash doesn't even mention Dizzy being in Snakepit in the book.....

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Can anyone answer me a question here: In the book, Slash seems to not like AXL adding Dizzy to the GNR line-up, due to not likeing keyboards or whatever it is...... So why is Dizzy also in Slash's Snakepit?

Was there something I missed there? I only noticed this when I looked at the band line-up on the cd. I could be wrong, but as far as I remember, Slash doesn't even mention Dizzy being in Snakepit in the book.....

I think dizzy was only on a few tracks, like he just contributed a few things but wasn't apart of the lineup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Think I'll have to give this a read!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Read Slash's autobiography several times, definitely a great read,

220px-Slash_(Slash_album_-_cover_art).jpg

220px-Apocalyptic_Love.jpg

I love these albums :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭BearThomas131

Slash = King

Loved the book, obviously some of it had to be sugar coated and exadurated a bit, but what a life that must have been, Adler and duffs books are good aswell but not as good as this one.

10/10 for me

Apocalyptic Love

1. Apocalyptic Love
    2. One Last Thrill
    3. Standing in the Sun
    4. You're A Lie
    5. No More Heroes
    6. Halo
    7. We Will Roam
    8. Anastasia
    9. Not for Me
    10.Bad Rain
    11.Hard & Fast
    12.Far and Away 
    13.Shots Fired
    14.Carolina
    15.Crazy Life

Slash ft. Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators played the last show of their Apocalyptic Love tour this morning at 05:00 am Irish time.

Halo
    Mean Bone
    Nightrain
    Ghost
    Standing in the Sun
    Back from Cali
    Civil War
    Bad Rain
    Let It Roll
    We Will Roam
    Doctor Alibi - Todd Kerns on vocals
    Welcome to the Jungle - Todd Kerns on vocals
    Rocket Queen
    Serial Killer
    No More Heroes
    Starlight
    Anastasia
    You're a Lie
    Sweet Child O' Mine
    Slither

Encore:
    Immigrant Song
    Paradise City

Slash already working on a follow up to Apocalyptic Love

''Been spending my nights writing new material; I don't know where it's all coming from. But it's great when creativity is flowing.'' iiii]; )'

And apparently Slash, Myles, Todd, Brent & Frank have begun the recording process with Michael "Elvis" Baskette replacing Eric Valentine as producer

http://loudwire.com/slash-myles-kennedy-the-conspirators-heavy-new-album/

Advertisement