Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boot Time

• 29-11-2007 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

How long is a reasonable boot time.I know it depends on what loads but say with average security programs loading what should it be approx? And how do I see if Norton Antivirus scans at boot as I understand that causes delay. Also I had a photo on my screen and changed it to the windows desktop to see if it would be quicker. It didn't

The windows logo is a couple of minutes with the little squares running accross then the welcome screen is not too long but the worst is the loading of the icons. The photo or the windows desktop would load but it takes a couple minutes for the icons. I deleted a lot of them but no improvement . It is OK in the morning as I can turn on and leave but a real pain if have to restart during the day. Sorry so vague re times

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

By the sounds of it, you have a lot of things turning on at startup. Go to start>run and then type "msconfig" without the quotes in the textbox. This will bring you into the system configuration utility. Click on the startup tab to see what is coming on at startup. If you see something you don't really need then un tick it.

I'd say get rid of norton and use avg or avast instead. They are much better than norton and they are free.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I would agree with Almighty - I had the same problem and got great help on this forum. I have only 2 items that start at startup and my pc is booting very quickyl - long may it continue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

Guarenteed to be Norton, such a terrible program it's not even funny.

Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel is great, no needs for confirmation and its easy as pie to use!

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

auggie2k wrote: »
    Guarenteed to be Norton, such a terrible program it's not even funny.

Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel is great, no needs for confirmation and its easy as pie to use!

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

That looks kinda good. I must take a look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

All good poitns above. Make sure your AV isn't scanning on startup or your pc performance will be hindered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Have you defragmented recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

I have only 2 items that start at startup

But would you not need firewal/AV/security to load at start?

zilog_jones- The defrag says it does not require defragment

Layke- how do I find out if the NAV is scanning at boot? It is NAV 2007 and I dont see that option anywere.

Thanks everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The Defrag says a lot of things - if there's any red bits there's fragmented files, which could be affecting your boot time. Also, the built-in defragmenter is pretty crap. I use Diskeeper myself, which does things more intelligently (allegedly), defragments when your computer is idle and it can defragment/resize your MFT (Master File Table). It's not free though :(

Check out Bootvis as well (google it) - it can tell you how long it's taking to boot, and what processes are taking what amount of time, and it can possibly improve boot time too.

The Defrag says a lot of things - if there's any red bits there's fragmented files, which could be affecting your boot time. Also, the built-in defragmenter is pretty crap. I use Diskeeper myself, which does things more intelligently (allegedly), defragments when your computer is idle and it can defragment/resize your MFT (Master File Table). It's not free though :(

Check out Bootvis as well (google it) - it can tell you how long it's taking to boot, and what processes are taking what amount of time, and it can possibly improve boot time too.

OK there is a free version of Diskeeper but it has not all the functions you have. Bootvis is said by some to improve bot time but MS say no, will try in anyway:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

My anti-virus and firewall is all I have at start up! IMO nothing else is needed at start up

• Advertisement

My anti-virus and firewall is all I have at start up! IMO nothing else is needed at start up

And how do you start other security progs if you have them? Start when needed?

Advertisement