Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which Alfa?

Options
  • 29-11-2007 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Yo - I'm not gay so I don't care about fuel consumption/cost/environment, etc - I'm wondering which Alfa woul be better re overall power/performance/handling:

An Alfa 147: in 1.6 petrol, or 1.9 Diesel?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Poppy Cock wrote: »
    Yo - I'm not gay ...

That you're thinking of driving a 147 is doubt enough!:D

1.9 JTD 16v Multijet (1910cc, 140 bhp, 128 mph, 0-62: 9.1 seconds)

1.9 JTD (1910cc, 115 bhp, 119 mph, 0-62: 9.9 seconds)

1598cc, 105bhp, 115mph, 0-62: 11.3 seconds

1598cc, 120 bhp, 121 mph, 0-62: 10.6 seconds

1970 cc, 150 bhp, 129 mph, 0-62: 9.3 seconds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

Poppy Cock wrote: »
    Yo - I'm not gay so I don't care about fuel consumption/cost/environment, etc - I'm wondering which Alfa woul be better re overall power/performance/handling:

aaah excelent taste, in that case my friend what you need is the sweet sweet sound of an Alfa V6 :D:D

the eco weeney lynch mob will out to get you soon though, telling you to buy a prius........:rolleyes:

the 1.9 Diesel is a way better performer than the 1.6, which is a bit breathless to be honest

is it a 147 you are going for? or will other models tempt you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Poppy Cock

smcgiff wrote: »
    That you're thinking of driving a 147 is doubt enough!:D

It's for a friend. I drive a Veyron. :D But seriously, it's not for me.

siralfalot wrote: »
    aaah excelent taste,

Have ordered the 159 2.4l JTDM TI for January. Couldn't convince myself to get the V6 from an econ pov. I must be getting old!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Voted the most unreliable car manufacture of 07 and people still go crazy for Alfas. Ahh well..... they do look nice :)

• Advertisement

logik wrote: »
    Voted the most unreliable car manufacture of 07 and people still go crazy for Alfas. Ahh well..... they do look nice :)

Where?

The What Car survey was out lately and Alfa was not at the bottom, and ahead of Audi. Also, this takes into account the dreadful 156 and not the 159.

BMW had a very poor result as well.

there is more to life than driving a boring car, I also on occasion drive an Avensis and a Passat, I bloomin hate them, they are just so tedious, and the Passat is a bloomin nightmare, it breaks down at least once a month

Alfa's are fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

It was my lame effort at sparking up the good old Alfa Vs Rest war :).

I was suprised at BMW too actually, they didnt fair too well did they.

It was my lame effort at sparking up the good old Alfa Vs Rest war :).

*Points* TROLL!!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭babel

Can I get peoples opinion on the Alfa GT. I was stuck in two minds when I was buying my car 6 months ago. It was between the GT and BMW 318 ci Mtek. Went for the BMW in the end due to fears over the Alfa reliabilty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

156 1.9 JTD 115 BHP is a nice car - great handling and plenty of torque. Great for country roads. I'm only guessing the 147 would handle even better. Definitely on the shortlist for my next car.

You can have them remapped for a few hundred quid if you want more power.

babel wrote: »
    Can I get peoples opinion on the Alfa GT. I was stuck in two minds when I was buying my car 6 months ago. It was between the GT and BMW 318 ci Mtek. Went for the BMW in the end due to fears over the Alfa reliabilty

the GT is an excellent car, and the 1.9 JTDm is a peach of an engine, we have one in our fleet and it has never missed a beat in 3 years and 70K miles
    mvpr wrote: »
    156 1.9 JTD 115 BHP is a nice car - great handling and plenty of torque. Great for country roads. I'm only guessing the 147 would handle even better. Definitely on the shortlist for my next car.

You can have them remapped for a few hundred quid if you want more power.

or you can go for the 2.4 JTD, fricken awesome (for a diesel) if I say so myself :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

smcgiff wrote: »
    this takes into account the dreadful 156 and not the 159.
    dreadful is very very harsh word there when describing the 156. My 8 yr old one has never given me an ounce of trouble

the GT is an excellent car, and the 1.9 JTDm is a peach of an engine, we have one in our fleet and it has never missed a beat in 3 years and 70K miles
    I heard exactly the same thing. Seriously considering one next

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

The 1.9JTD 16v has been 150Bhp since mid 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I was suprised at BMW too actually, they didnt fair too well did they.

They never do as well as people think.

The only thing BMW can do well is market their cars a reliable, and lots of suckers fall for this.

Anyone I know who buys an old BMW ends up regretting it. (Excluding the proper BMWs of the 80's and very early 90's).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

prospect wrote: »
    Anyone I know who buys an old BMW ends up regretting it. (Excluding the proper BMWs of the 80's and very early 90's).

*coughs* :p

The 1.9JTD 16v has been 150Bhp since mid 2005.

since Jan 2004 actually, but only in the GT
    the 156 and 147 continued getting the 140bhp version until 2005 (AFAIK)

in the new year, the 159 and GT will be getting a revised version of the engine, called 1.9 JTDmTST using twin turbos to generate 190bhp, while decreasing carbon emissions (if you're into that sort of thing) and not effecting fuel economy

this engine is already available in the current Saab 9-5 with 180bhp, as Alfa will be keeping the most powerfull versions for themselves

unkel wrote: »
    *coughs* :p

here you go, gotta look after yourself :D

unbranded-benylin-chesty-cough-sachets-non-drowsy-size-5ml-x-10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

The only thing BMW can do well is market their cars a reliable, and lots of suckers fall for this.

When did BMW ever market their cars as reliable ?

Reliability is the measure of a car only for those who have no idea what they should be looking for in a car. Thats why enthusiasts love Alfa's and non enthusiasts don't.

BMW claim their cars to be the "Ultimate driving machine" - whether they live up to this or not is for another thread

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Reliability is the measure of a car only for those who have no idea what they should be looking for in a car. Thats why enthusiasts love Alfa's and non enthusiasts don't.

I think I've found a new sig! :D:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭kyote00

I had the good luck to get a drive in a 2.4 diesel Brera and was very impressed.

I have had a v6 156 since 1999 and think the diesel powerplant is equally as good. The only missing part is the lovely noise from the petrol v6....

The nicest sound of course is that of the v8 powered alfa ;)

in the new year, the GT will be getting a revised version of the engine, called 1.9 JTDmTST using twin turbos to generate 190bhp

wohoo.....you just made my day....:D:D:D

linky?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP - The diesel 147 is as rare as hens teeth in Ireland. They are few and very far between. You will most probably have to travel to the UK for one of those.

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    dreadful is very very harsh word there when describing the 156. My 8 yr old one has never given me an ounce of trouble

While being one of Alfa's best sold cars the early model's perceived poor reliability hurt the company a lot. Ironically sales of the much better later models plummeted.

However, I drove a 1.6 156 back in the days when I thought a 1.6 was nippy and I was impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

wohoo.....you just made my day....:D:D:D

linky?

The 'Alfa' 190BHP/400Nm version is not due until mid next year in Europe so I'd expect it won't be seen in Irish dealerships until Jan '09.
    The 1.9 JTD TWIN STAGE TURBO is the latest development within the FPT Diesel Family with a specific power close to 100 HP/l. This engine has been developed with the target to add to FPT Diesel portfolio an engine with high power & torque density, excellent low-end-torque and already capable to meet the future Euro 5 emission standards.

Based on the current 1.9 JTD 16v engine, the engine will be available in two versions:

180 HP @ 4000 rpm
    190 HP @ 4000 rpm

both with 400 Nm torque @ 2000 rpm.

1.9JTD%20TST%20grafiek.jpg

The engine will be sold to both captive and non-captive customers, with the higher power output reserved to FGA applications.

The low-end-torque has been improved by 50%, with 300 Nm available already from 1250 rpm. These outstanding performances have been achieved basically through the introduction of an advanced charging technology, such as the Two Stage Turbocharger, together with proper design changes, to increase the thermo-structural resistance with increased peak cylinder pressure (up to 180 bar) and exhaust gas temperature (up to 800 deg. C). The Two Stage Turbo (TST) technology allows to remove the usual constraints that the engineers have to face when the size of the turbocharger must be selected, that usually means to accept a compromise between power and low-end-torque.
    With TST we have a small turbocharger operating at low rpm for optimal low-end-torque and response from low vehicle speed. This small turbo is passed when the required power output increases and a second turbocharger with higher size comes into operation. Besides the improvement of overall performances, the TST technology allows increasing the EGR rate without penalties on fuel consumption and therefore gives a relevant contribution towards NOx emission reduction.

The engine has been designed to comply with Euro 5 emission standards. This target has been achieved thanks to: reduction of the CR from 17.5 to 16.5 and adoption of low-voltage metallic glow plugs improved EGR cooler (with by-pass) and EGR valve adoption on Lambda sensor with DPF new design of inlet ducts.

fiat-1900-jtd-diesel-turbo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Alfa sold only 300 units last year, so I think Ireland might be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Motormouth

bazz26 wrote: »
    OP - The diesel 147 is as rare as hens teeth in Ireland. They are few and very far between. You will most probably have to travel to the UK for one of those.

True, single figures of those reg'd over here. Very very quick car though. If you thought a 156 Mjet was quick, try one of these (after you import it of course!)

ciarsd wrote: »
    The 'Alfa' 190BHP/400Nm version is not due until mid next year in Europe so I'd expect it won't be seen in Irish dealerships until Jan '09.

ciarsd, is that autoblog site available in english?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

ciarsd, is that autoblog site available in english?

Usually their reports are published in English also - its usually directly under the dutch report or as a link below the dutch report.

Doing your homework for next year? :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement