Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTFE Based lube?

Options
  • 29-11-2007 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭

Would it be suitable for AEG maintenance? Have no silicone based stuff just this stuff electrolube make (DFL, dry film lubricant, it's called), no hurry on it just wondering, thanks gents...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

im guessing it's a spray you have?

dry film lubes work differently to normal grease or lube, they leave a dry layer (as the name suggests) on the metal which is similar to a teflon coating (teflon is the brand name of ptfe), i haven't used a ptfe lube before, but i've heard of (and been meaning to try) molybdenum disulphide lube on gears, to do so, you must heat the gears, then apply the spray and heat them again for the moly to bond with the metal, this leaves a teflon-like coating on the gears, i'd imagine ptfe based dry lube would have to be applied in a similar fashion and would not be good to use for cleaning a barrel or anywhere else you'd normally use silicone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Okay thanks KD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

Where is the easiest place to pick up silicon gear grease? (I can't use the term 'lube' without giggling uncontrolably)

*snicker*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Where is the easiest place to pick up silicon gear grease? (I can't use the term 'lube' without giggling uncontrolably)

*snicker*

MIA is where I got mine.

*snicker*

well lube and grease are two different things, lube that you want is liquid in spray can or dropper bottle, grease is thick and grease-like :) and comes in a tub

anyway, silicone spray lubricant can be bought in b&q, halfords, and many local hardware stores

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

*snicker*

Maplins on Jervis Street or Halfords

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

kdouglas wrote: »
    well lube and grease are two different things, lube that you want is liquid in spray can or dropper bottle, grease is thick and grease-like :) and comes in a tub

anyway, silicone spray lubricant can be bought in b&q, halfords, and many local hardware stores
    The L*forbidden word* I have. So Maplins do the grease?

oh right, yea, the grease, sorry, thought it was the spray lube you wanted (should really read posts) not sure about the grease, i was looking for some in rathgar motor factors yesterday, they had it before, but they're out of stock now
    i picked up some moly grease instead, it's quite light and seems to work quite well in my m249 gearbox, although i haven't put that many rounds through it yet, it contains molybdenum disulphide that i mentioned earlier, but in this case it improves the grease's heat and friction handling capabilities, the moly stuff that i was talking about in my previous post is a powder or spray which bonds to the metal, this is just normal grease

any decent light grease should work for your gearbox really, if it's going anywhere near o-rings make sure it doesn't contain any petroleum based products

from other things i've read online silicone grease is good for the piston/cylinder because it's quite light and wont slow the piston down and reduce your rate of fire, the problem with the grease you use on the piston o-ring is you need it thick enough for a good air seal but not too thick that it will slow the piston down

for the gears themselves, teflon based grease is normally recommended, i got one of the small tubs that ehobbyasia have a while back, but i personally find it's a little too sticky for my liking, which is something to be avoided if your trying to build a high rof setup, the moly stuff is a little bit lighter than this

i also have a spray grease which is commonly used for motorbike chains, it's quite thick for a spray, and it foams up when you spray it so it coats the gears quite well, for a semi-liquid grease it sticks to the gears very well, you will probably need to open your gearbox and re-grease it more often with the spray stuff though

(*disclaimer, all above is opinion based on personal experience and crap i've read online, dont blame me if your gearbox breaks from using the wrong type of grease)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

you should try a grease called LM grease, its used in CV joints on car gearboxes, its a great grease for the likes of gears etc but you might want to keep it off any seals as im not sure what its made from so might not be good for the rubbers.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭nonex

you can get silicone grease in any dive shops and seals shop look up the phone book, silicone grease is used for any thing food based so it's safe for 0 rings and seals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

The L*forbidden word* I have. So Maplins do the grease?

They do tubes of it for around €7

Advertisement