Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedgehogs?

Options
  • 29-11-2007 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

Does anyone know what hedgehogs are like as pets?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I'm pretty sure hedgehogs are a protected species and cannot be kept as pets. There was another thread about this a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Wild animals should be left in the wild!
    if you like hedgehogs why dont you try rescue them off roads at night and put them back into the wooded areas so there not crushed.
    i do that whenever i see a live 1 on the road!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

You wont get one now anyway as i think they are all in hibernation (sorry if i'm wrong) also it is illegal to keep a wild animal in your house (or a shed etc) but you can set up a haven for them and attract them to your garden. (Wont be until spring now though), they like fallen leaves, plenty of cover, they eat cat food and insects which you can attract with certain plants. A water supply and a nice little hide away for them at the back of your garden (make sure you have easy access to it if necessary though, in case rats start to make thmselves at home) you'll get more info on google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

I was NOT referring to capturing a wild animal. I have been researching (in the US) and find that there are such things as reputable breeders of hedgehogs that are intended as pets. If these don't exist in Ireland...nevermind :rolleyes: I was looking for personal experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Rhiannon14 wrote: »
    I was NOT referring to capturing a wild animal. I have been researching (in the US) and find that there are such things as reputable breeders of hedgehogs that are intended as pets. If these don't exist in Ireland...nevermind :rolleyes: I was looking for personal experiences.

Bred to be pets but they should not be!
    lions could be bred for the same reason, does not make it right..as said make your garden attractive to hedgehogs and you'll get them naturally..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

I think there was an earlier post about pygmy hedgehogs if you look for that might give you more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

You can get exotic species of hedgehogs as pets such as the African Pygmy Hedgehog

And before any starts saying that they should be left in the wild, most of our common pets are descended from wild animals, guinea pigs, gerbils, hamsters, rabbits, budgies, cockatiels, canaries, etc.

as are dogs and cats. Nothing wrong with domestic pets at all. I love mine but you have to agree with the sentiment. Some animals are more adaptable than others (none more so than rodents as mentioned). Personally I think society driven animals are much more suitable for domestication than non society animals. Although by that logic we should all have pet ants :)

Advertisement