Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget ski trip

• 29-11-2007 3:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hey, never been skiing before but dying to try it. Main thing thats always put me off is the cost, and I always end up going somewhere else instead.

I was looking at booking flights and stuff myself, and after visiting Sarajevo during the summer, I am thinking of heading back to the site of the '84 winter olympics.

Has anyone ever been there. Flights are €290 with Malev, ski pass is €70, so it looks good value for money.

Failing that can anyone recommend a suitable budget destination for a beginner?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I found Bulgaria Pamporova (Sp) very cheap, It should be fine for Beginners too.

Failing that try and get some last minute deals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

another reason i have never gone is its difficult to get off work at that time of year so last minute booking will not be possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

The cheapest time to go is Off season, a great week to go this year is from Jan 26th to Feb 2nd or further down the line 2'nd/3rd + week in March.

Im also a big fan of going for New Years because you spend so much money going out after Christmas day that it doesn't cost you that much extra to go away and spend new years in another country.

Some other ways to reduce cost is to borrow the ski clothes, stay slightly further away from the Gondolla and to go for Self Catering accomodation. If your resourcefull you can also book the whole thing yourself using Cheap Flights and booking the accomodation yourself.

For instance you can get a flight to Girona and Toulouse then get a bus to Soldeu in Andorra, then stay slightly outside Soldeu in somewhere like "The Rok" hotel or the self catering apartments beside it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

If you are interested in skiing in France, then check out the youth hostels (no age limit). http://www.fuaj.org/eng/ The price they charge includes accommodation, full board, (including packed lunch if you can't get back for lunch), lots of food, lift pass and insurance. They will arrange ski hire and lessons as well. And they are great craic if you are travelling on your own or with a small group. Some of the really big name resorts like Tignes and Chamonix have hostels, so it's a great way of doing it on the cheap.

If you haven't skied, then the one in Val Cenis is run by a guy who coached half the French ski team and provides great lessons.

Advertisement