Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenmare Half Ironman

• 29-11-2007 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭

Right so -

A bit of background - I started Triathlons this year, finished 2 sprints, 2 olypics and a number of duathlons/ aquathlons. Best time in sprint was 1hr 18' and in olypic was 2hr30' ..I have improved both run and bike a good bit since then and am expexting to go sub 2'hr 20 next year.

My question is: Would it be unreasonable to expect to do Kenmare in under 5hours 30 next year. Also what sort of adjustements to my training should I making, ie more focus on buidling a good base and focusing on longer sessions?I know the bike leg in Kenmare is pretty tough but all of my long rides are around sally/wicklow gap areas, how will this compare to the kenmare bike leg?

any tips/ advice apreciated please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

trinewbie wrote: »
    Right so -

A bit of background - I started Triathlons this year, finished 2 sprints, 2 olypics and a number of duathlons/ aquathlons. Best time in sprint was 1hr 18' and in olypic was 2hr30' ..I have improved both run and bike a good bit since then and am expexting to go sub 2'hr 20 next year.

My question is: Would it be unreasonable to expect to do Kenmare in under 5hours 30 next year. Also what sort of adjustements to my training should I making, ie more focus on buidling a good base and focusing on longer sessions?I know the bike leg in Kenmare is pretty tough but all of my long rides are around sally/wicklow gap areas, how will this compare to the kenmare bike leg?

any tips/ advice apreciated please

You should be fine but it depends on your scalability. For example my pace is almost exacltly the same in a sprint as in an ironman. I'm just built for distance not speed. Don't forget that the bike course in Kenmare has been short for the last couple of years and this will be reflected in the times. Have you done anything long before?

There are a number of issues for the bike course in Kenmare.
    There are a couple of climbs. These are not as bad as you might expect. Nothing worse than Wicklow at any rate.
    The road surface is awful in several places. I actually thought I had broken my wrist this year it was so sore from the rattling. I was really annoyed that the race organisers described the surface as good quality.
    The downhills are scary. There are an awful lot of tight switchbacks.

Other things about the race include significant inclines on the run, not great water quality in the swim, set up in the dark. I have to be honest and say I have some problems with this race in terms of some of the organisers. They've been doing it for years and forget that we have new people in the sport or that everyone's life doesn't revolve around their event. For example one of the organisers actually said to me this year that they didn't want newcomers doing the race! Then again, there are lots of people who love this race so please don't just adopt my dislike of it, I would suggest though, at least looking into Ireman as well.

In terms of adapting your training, it depends. If you are in any way weak on the bike then spend more time on it. Also worth running when tired now and again if that's something you haven't done before. Post your splits from your oly's along with your flat 10km run and 40 km time trial times and I can make some more suggestions.

The party afterwards is excellent though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭trinewbie

I have heard bad reports from a few people actually - Its just something i really want to do..

"Have you done anything long before?"

No long races but i have plenty of mile on the legs, have run 30k in training for marathon (got injured before the day though :mad: )

Bike wise - Im doing 110k Plus on my long sunday ride, usually wicklow 100 Route or sally gap - laragh - wicklow gap - Blessington - Rathfarnham

Is it true that there are ambulances at mst of the switchbacks???
    Im not worried about the bike - Its my strong point , and has improved hugely in the off season so far..

Flat 10k Run - 39mins at best, 40ish at the moment

Its probably worth mentioning that Im doing Paris Marathon in April

Splits from Caroline Kearney Memorial Tri

- Swim 33'31
    - BIke 1hr 14'
    - Run 45'(With shin splints and stitch, really terrible)

Good to hear that the party is excellent!! A few beers to take the pain away - cant go wrong!

Cheers for the response!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

trinewbie wrote: »
    Is it true that there are ambulances at mst of the switchbacks???

There were first aiders at every corner and a couple of ambulances. It worked well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

kenmare - great location.

Advertisement