Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quorn - allergic reation!

• 29-11-2007 3:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7

Just thought I'd share my experience. Had a friend staying for about three months and discovered every time I gave her quorn she would spend the night with stomach cramps and vomiting. I went on to their website and it said every 1 in 1million can have allergic reactions but there seems to be quite a few articles about contesting this 'statistic'. Some of them allude to the fact also that this 'mycoprotein' is not from mushrooms, which they imply when they say 'fungi'. it seems its a mould of some kind.

Anyhoo just food for thought...or vomiting as the case may be...:p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Some people are put off by the fact that they use 'grown' fungal proteins in a vat or whatever as a main part of the ingredients - it doesn't bother me so much, I'll drink beer and other fermented foodstuffs happily :)

Not sure what that has to do with allergic reactions... although it seems likely that myco-based food may have more of a potential to cause a reaction, given that other types of funguses like mold spores etc. can cause serious allergy problems.

Maybe your friend should also be aware whether she gets the same reaction after eating mushrooms. I know that if I eat too many mushrooms, I don't feel so good...

There are definitely people who are sensitive to various types of mushroom etc. There is more technical information here if anyone is interested.

Advertisement