Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N4 upgrade

• 29-11-2007 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭

(read it and weep, r3nu4l :D)

Well, folks, apart from the M50 upgrade, which is ahead of schedule, there is the not so small matter of the N4 upgrade, where the N4 will be expanded to 3 lanes in each direction from the M50 to the M4. They've already started work on the Newcastle Rd junction. This will be a flyover. How do you think this will affect you or Lucan? I live just above the Newcastle Rd jn and I think it's going to be a nightmare.

More anon.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

:cries into mug of coffee: He stole my thread Waa, waa! :D

It's definitely going to be an absolute nightmare during the works phase, unless they can figure out a way of reducing the backlog of cars during the rush hours? I highly doubt it.

When it's finished I don't know that it will achieve much in Lucan. The whole point of the upgrade should be to relieve current traffic and future-proof the road (to borrow a technological term :)). As it stands I can see the upgrades simply achieving a status quo with the current situation as by the time this is complete Adamstown will be complete and planned housing developments will be well under way.

I can see it providing temporary relief upon completion but causing a lot of frustration during the upgrade period. That's not to mention that many of the upgrades will simply push the bottleneck elsewhere in Lucan or West Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Agree wholeheartedly. Lucan can only get worse! But the aim is to have the N4 itself freeflow from Palmerstown to beyond Athlone. (Except for the Toll Plaza, of course :rolleyes:), and they'll achieve that. But Lucan/Adamstown? Adamstown has its own relief road, taking some of the traffic away from Lucan, but existing traffic will only get worse.

Another interesting engineering problem is that they're going to lower the N4 at the Newcastle Road Jn! That should make for interesting viewing, if you're of that inclination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Slow coach wrote: »
    (read it and weep, r3nu4l :D)

Well, folks, apart from the M50 upgrade, which is ahead of schedule, there is the not so small matter of the N4 upgrade, where the N4 will be expanded to 3 lanes in each direction from the M50 to the M4. They've already started work on the Newcastle Rd junction. This will be a flyover. How do you think this will affect you or Lucan? I live just above the Newcastle Rd jn and I think it's going to be a nightmare.

More anon.

According to what I heard from my dad they are putting an underpass at the Newcastle Rd instead of the traffic lighted junction.

It won't affect me much I live over the other side of town but for getting to Leixlip or even commuters from Leixlip, Celbridge, Maynooth and further afield this will be a pain, not that the M50 isn't pain enough.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The transport projects planned for Lucan are as follows:

Lucan BP Upgrade with Bus Corridor - 2009
    Kildare Rail Line Extra Stations - 2010
    Lucan Luas - 2013
    Metro West (for travelling north and south) - 2013
    Kildare Rail Line Upgrade to DART - 2015

At that stage, the options will be as follows:

Public Transport:
    Lucan - Bus Corridor, Luas, Take Metro to DART and change to DART
    Adamstown - DART

Driving:
    Lucan - Enhanced N4 - no traffic lights
    Adamstown - Adamstown Link Roads east to Outer Ring or Fonthill Rd - then head south to access southside and Tallaght or north to access N4 for city or northside
    In addition, there is a plan to fill in the missing M50 junction 8, though I'm not sure how firm the plans are to ever build it. In that case, Adamstown motorists will be able to reach all the way to the M50 without having to use the N4 at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,634 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

When it is complete it should have huge effect on traffic. For intance, coming from newcastle road (I shun the name adamstown road), there is always traffic from westbury to the n4 junction. If this is made into a 3 laned underpass, it will be free flow, which will should eliminate all traffic.
    The M50 is also free flow and it makes a difference.
    If the n4 palmerstown junction was upgraded too it could remove all traffic, as there would be no stop until toll plaza, by this stage traffic will have filter and be very light.

Saying it doesn't affect you if you live far side of it isn't thinkign large enough, is the traffic here is removed, in and out of village is lighter. Will improve, but obviously not perfect.

In other news, another phase of adamstown was lodged for planning today. I didn't think people thought it was over

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 iodine

Got a letter in the door today from Derek Keating, he says that planning permission for the park and ride at Weston hasn't been granted. Does that mean they will just stop work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,561 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The middle section of the eastbound upgraded lanes was open this morning. Looks like they're about to commence work on the outer lanes. Hopefully the work is ahead of schedule and may get finished early next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

The new outer ring road is now complete from Tallaght bypass to the N4 but there are no less then 20 sets of lights between the two roads. This coupled with the fact that you've to queue up again at the Newcastle mess if you're heading west. That ring road has a bus lane that has big concrete blocks blocking it and no buses either.

It was fine during the Summer but looks to be a right waste of time judging by the traffic levels in Tallaght this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Supersize

r3nu4l wrote: »
    :cries into mug of coffee: He stole my thread Waa, waa! :D

It's definitely going to be an absolute nightmare during the works phase, unless they can figure out a way of reducing the backlog of cars during the rush hours? I highly doubt it.

When it's finished I don't know that it will achieve much in Lucan. The whole point of the upgrade should be to relieve current traffic and future-proof the road (to borrow a technological term :)). As it stands I can see the upgrades simply achieving a status quo with the current situation as by the time this is complete Adamstown will be complete and planned housing developments will be well under way.

I can see it providing temporary relief upon completion but causing a lot of frustration during the upgrade period. That's not to mention that many of the upgrades will simply push the bottleneck elsewhere in Lucan or West Dublin.

Exactly. As usual, we are left picking up the pieces after the disgraceful actions of successive planners and government in Ireland. Prevention is better than cure, but when was the last Irish government to have such intelligence?? Just greed. Pure greed. Planners in West Dublin should be particularly ashamed of their selfish and negligent actions. It was all about the money. I live in Leixlip and all we have are housing estates, hotels and factories. Oh and some playing fields. No major commercial centre, no swimming pool, no decent gym. A population of over 15,000. A swimming pool is expected in 2023. Can you believe that!! I've already waited 27 years.

Also, has everyone forgotten that N4 Dublin-bound traffic (when all these works are completed) will now converge on the Palmerstown traffic lights? And Heuston Station? See you there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Supersize wrote: »
    Also, has everyone forgotten that N4 Dublin-bound traffic (when all these works are completed) will now converge on the Palmerstown traffic lights? And Heuston Station? See you there...

yeah but you'll get there quicker :pac:

and are intel and hp not in leixlip?

• Advertisement

yeah but you'll get there quicker :pac:

and are intel and hp not in leixlip?

Yeah you'll get there quicker...and you can then switch off your engine while you wait...

Yeah we have Intel and HP. Like I said, we have factories. No decent recreational services.

Yeah you'll get there quicker...and you can then switch off your engine while you wait...

Yeah we have Intel and HP. Like I said, we have factories. No decent recreational services.

Well i think id rather have provisions for jobs than swimming, and sure with the n4 upgraded why not travel to a swimming pool, or just jump off the bridge in barnhall?

too easy to blame the government for everything anyways, what we have is a far shot better than a free for all.

Well i think id rather have provisions for jobs than swimming, and sure with the n4 upgraded why not travel to a swimming pool, or just jump off the bridge in barnhall?

too easy to blame the government for everything anyways, what we have is a far shot better than a free for all.

Sounds like...

A. You're a Fianna Fail man.
    B. You need to travel and see the world.

Sounds like...

A. You're a Fianna Fail man.
    B. You need to travel and see the world.

Not Fianna Fail no, i don't commit myself to a party, and i've seen enough for now

Advertisement