Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Park & Ride in Lucan/Leixlip

• 29-11-2007 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Just thought I'd get peoples views on proposed Park and Ride sites, particularly around Lucan/Leixlip. The site opposite the Springfield hotel is already gone in for planning for 1000 cars.

Anyone know where Edmonsbury is?

Page 16 for a list of proposed sites, http://www.dto.ie/web2006/bpnr.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I assume they mean the land at St Edmundsbury, between the Hermitage Golf Course and the Village. :confused:

In the interest of thread tennis...see this thread :)

The Park and Ride system in Cambridge is very good and works well! The cost of a journey to and from the P&R centres is only £2 as well so it's fairly cheap. It's used extensively by commuters and shoppers alike! I think that a site at the Springfield is logical in some senses but I have my doubts about the potential uptake of P&R in Dublin.

There is P&R operating in Adamstown Train station but it apparently costs €6 a day to park your car. I'm not really sure that's what I'd call a proper Park and Ride facility, in Cambridge it's free to park your car and the £2 bus fare for each passenger is used to cover the cost of running the service. I haven't read all of the document you linked to but do they propose that car parking will be free or only cost a nominal fee?

€6 a day or more is unlikely to ensure proper use of a P&R facility unless the buses are extremely quick. The current N4 upgrade plans allow for 3 lanes each way and a QBC (Quality bus corridor) running from Leixlip to the M50 junction. Unless that shaves significant time off a car journey I can't see P&R becoming very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

on page 63 they mention that after conparing city centre parking price they suggest €8 all day and €4.50 for half day, document is from 2002.

Doesn't say if this includes bus fare, I would have thought the idea would be to be a lot cheaper than city centre, thus encouraging its use.

manc wrote: »
    Doesn't say if this includes bus fare, I would have thought the idea would be to be a lot cheaper than city centre, thus encouraging its use.
    Exactly, it should be both cheaper and faster to get into the city than using a car.

So if the price was €6 per day you could park and catch a bus for about €30 per week (5 days @€;6) then you would save on parking fees in the City centre, fuel costs and may potentially save on any BIK tax!

As the document was written in 2002 however I can see the proposed €8 price being increased! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

You could theoretically use a number of locations for mini park and ride :)

Such as the car park near Woodies or Liffey Valley etc theres a bus stop near there :D

Don't know about the legality of parking there or any other place just to catch the bus but it's a decent enough idea?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

There is park and ride at Louisa Bridge train station and also has the 66 route right beside it

kearnsr wrote: »
    There is park and ride at Louisa Bridge train station and also has the 66 route right beside it

Are you talking about the tiny car park at Louisa bridge train station? True Park and Ride is a central area that can cater for a minimum of 500 cars, in Cambridge this is about 1000 spaces at each P&R site!

Attached is a photo of one of the Cambridge P&R stations (Trumpington). Users park cars here and catch the bus into the city. Buses leave every 10 minutes (Cambridge is a small city). This photo must have been taken on a Sunday as there are hardly any cars there. :) There are over 1100 spaces in this single P&R site.

P&R sites are also supposed to be so efficient that it's a matter of parking your car and within 10 minutes you are on a bus. Waiting on a 66 at Louisa Bridge can be a long lonely experience...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Theres one at the Luas in Clondalkin, but there should be a lot more they are handy especially with the amount of commuters on the N4 / N7 it's v.necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 iodine

There has been some work on a park and ride at the roundabout at Weston Park, just coming out of leixlip, for a couple of months now.

However, as a resident of Weston, we got a letter from one of the local councillors the other day saying that the planning permission for it was denied... So I don't know what is going to happen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

iodine wrote: »
    There has been some work on a park and ride at the roundabout at Weston Park, just coming out of leixlip, for a couple of months now.

Not sure which works you are talking about as there are a few there in the last few months.

1) The works that went through the golf course and the land for the proposed P&R were just water pipes being laid from somewhere out north dublin, now seems to be finished.
    2) The works in the Tara Co-Op at the roundabout were just the owner having to remove the illegally dumped gravel/clay and restore back to flat land.
    3) The current site with the portacabins is the site office for the N4 widening which has just started.

iodine wrote: »
    However, as a resident of Weston, we got a letter from one of the local councillors the other day saying that the planning permission for it was denied... So I don't know what is going to happen now.

Seen that as well, wonder if it will now be proposed to extend the Luas line to there and create the P&R for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Does anyone know if there is gate at in the Woodies car park in Lucan. Need somewhere to Park this week for one day only and get a bus into town. Would be getting back out to the car around 21.30ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Does anyone know if there is gate at in the Woodies car park in Lucan. Need somewhere to Park this week for one day only and get a bus into town. Would be getting back out to the car around 21.30ish.

Yes there is a gate. It closes at 10pm I think but I'm open to correction.
    Bear in mind that they now have signs up stating that the car park is for customers only and they warn that cars may be clamped. :eek:

Heroditas wrote: »
    Yes there is a gate. It closes at 10pm I think but I'm open to correction.
    Bear in mind that they now have signs up stating that the car park is for customers only and they warn that cars may be clamped. :eek:
    Has anyone ever tried parking there, and did you get clamped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Try Lifffey Valley SC - lots of parking and you can just walk across the bridge... only problem is that depending on traffic it may take a while to get there.

what2do wrote: »
    Try Lifffey Valley SC - lots of parking and you can just walk across the bridge.
    Thats actually a much better idea. Shouldn't take too long to get there now they have the Newcastle junction nearly done. What is traffic like there now? Or would I be better off turning right at Newcastle and nipping through the estates to get there? Anyone any idea of bus journey times into the city from Liffey Valley?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

Anyone any idea of bus journey times into the city from Liffey Valley?

From the Boots side, the 78 takes about 50 minutes in the morning peak. The 78A can take an hour or more.

Journey times inbound on the N4 routes (25/a, 66/a/b/d, 67/a) from Lucan/Leixlip/Celbridge etc average 30 minutes, but the morning peak can take around 50 minutes. The Xpressos (25x, 51d, 66x, 67x) charge a bit more if you're paying cash, but will get you into town in about 30 minutes.

Advertisement