Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel Cards - DCI/Statoil

Options
  • 29-11-2007 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭

Hi all just wondering has anyone used these before and if so any positive/negative comments regarding either ?

I was in contact recently with a fella offering me the Statoil card so I'm just wondering is there a better option available out there ?

I haven't been told how much cheaper the rate is than that "at the pump" but eliminating the need to keep sh1tty little receipts all the time is one benefit to the card.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Hi all just wondering has anyone used these before and if so any positive/negative comments regarding either ?

I was in contact recently with a fella offering me the Statoil card so I'm just wondering is there a better option available out there ?

I haven't been told how much cheaper the rate is than that "at the pump" but eliminating the need to keep sh1tty little receipts all the time is one benefit to the card.

http://www.motorcard.ie/prices_this_week.php

You save very little, its more of a convenience and and a better way of seeing how much your spending on fuel / month and / year.

You also get your invoice emailed to you in PDF format which is handy when you use gmail :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Peter C

Benchmark Motorcard works out cheaper, e.g. local pumps are charging 121.90 on average, benchmark card this week is 116.60, 5.3c saving per litre, i.e. €3.71 saving on 70 litres.

Peter C wrote: »
    Benchmark Motorcard works out cheaper, e.g. local pumps are charging 121.90 on average, benchmark card this week is 116.60, 5.3c saving per litre, i.e. €3.71 saving on 70 litres.

Nah .. i've been using the thing for a year an a half, Statoils prices are all skewed, some stations charge very high amounts, such as that one on the dublin keys and this drags up the average an awful lot.

I've never saved more than 1.50 on a fillup of 50 litres

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

craichoe wrote: »

:eek: @ the Diesel price! Thats 3c dearer than any garage I live near.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Sizzler wrote: »
    :eek: @ the Diesel price! Thats 3c dearer than any garage I live near.

but if the pump price is lower than the card price.. you are charged at the pump price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The DCI garage network does not have the best nationwide coverage, but if you generally fill up at the same station that may not affect you. I haven't dealt directly with DCI but one of my former customers had been using them for a while and were very happy.

Currently Statoil offer the best nationwide coverage and that should improve further when the merge with Shell to become Topaz energy is fully complete. If you are a sole user of a card you'd probably be better off using the benchmark card above to getter better discounts. As mentioned above the discount isn't always fantastic, but it's a lot more convenient than paying with cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You will also find that the discount you get on the Benchmark card differs from what you get from Statoil's own card. I have the Benchmark rate as listed above. Another family member has a Statoil card and his ltest price is 109c !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Statoil would probably also admit that Fuel cards are more about convenience than saving costs, although they hardsell cards on potential savings.

For several vehicles, the convenience is certainly more important than reimbursing drivers etc etc but Statoil rates (pump/card) are not that competitive.

We've been polled a number of times and have been critical on prices, they've promised to look at rates.

Our current rate is 98.96Cent/Litre (excl VAT).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

We have a statoil card from when my father was in the guards (I believe they had one, so he got one also). Apparently, the way it works is we get the cheapest price for petrol in any statoil..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Sully wrote: »
    We have a statoil card from when my father was in the guards (I believe they had one, so he got one also). Apparently, the way it works is we get the cheapest price for petrol in any statoil..

1/2 correct. every week it changes. whatever company gives u the card comes out with a price of pet/diesel for that week. its up to u to check the price for that week. if u buy pet/dies over the price that the co. advertises its ur fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've got one and I don't pay a penny for it, so I'm very happy

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

yayamark wrote: »
    1/2 correct. every week it changes. whatever company gives u the card comes out with a price of pet/diesel for that week. its up to u to check the price for that week. if u buy pet/dies over the price that the co. advertises its ur fault.

How? The idea (if what I said earlier wasnt right) then of the card is to get charged the rate set, not what's at the pump.. if the pump is cheaper then the set price, I get it at the pump price?

Eh, I cant find any price for the Statoil card? Iv been on there website.. I also googled a bit, and it seems you dont get any discount. You pay the price on the pump?

How? The idea (if what I said earlier wasnt right) then of the card is to get charged the rate set, not what's at the pump.. if the pump is cheaper then the set price, I get it at the pump price?
    Eh, I cant find any price for the Statoil card? Iv been on there website.. I also googled a bit, and it seems you dont get any discount. You pay the price on the pump?

ok. i get mine thru a credit union. The credit union take so much out my wages every week into an account. the credit union advertise what the price is for the week on a mon. i check the price say 1.20 per litre and remember it. then when i go to a statoil i check the price say 1.21 and i fill away co i kinow im gonna be charged 1.20 per litre.

But if i go to a statoil that is charging 1.19 then i pay this out of my pocket rather than use my statoil card which would be charging me 1.20.

Every month statoil send a bill to the credit union and they take it out of my account.

Phew.

Statoil card will give you the pump price if it is cheaper than the weekly published price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I have statoil.....only problem is i can never find a statoil when i need one.....:confused:

yayamark wrote: »
    ok. i get mine thru a credit union. The credit union take so much out my wages every week into an account. the credit union advertise what the price is for the week on a mon. i check the price say 1.20 per litre and remember it. then when i go to a statoil i check the price say 1.21 and i fill away co i kinow im gonna be charged 1.20 per litre.

But if i go to a statoil that is charging 1.19 then i pay this out of my pocket rather than use my statoil card which would be charging me 1.20.

Every month statoil send a bill to the credit union and they take it out of my account.

Phew.

Yup, this is where the Gardai get them from too.
    Its managed by fuel card services anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

pa990 wrote: »
    but if the pump price is lower than the card price.. you are charged at the pump price

Yeah but that renders the card useless then surely, whats the point in getting the card :confused: Surely the main reason would be to get a discount in the first instance !

Statoil card will give you the pump price if it is cheaper than the weekly published price.

im not sure about that!

"Using the Group Scheme Fuelcard means that you always pay the cheapest price available when you fill up. I.e. When you fill up your car in the forecourt of a Statoil station and pay using your Group Scheme Fuelcard - The price charged to your account will be either the actual Statoil station’s pump price or the Group Scheme Fuelcard wholesale rate, whichever is the cheaper of the two. So if you happen to be in an area where the price of fuel is particularly low, you can take advantage of the local price by filling up and paying with your Group Scheme Fuelcard"

This is from the Benchmark website. Self explanatory IMO

• Advertisement
Advertisement