Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you "impose" your values on meat eaters?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd love if pasta didn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭peaches79

I find when most people hear me mentioning I'm a veggie (work meals, other occasions with strangers) they do tend to start the questioning.
    When I explain how I feel, the questioning tends to get more and more intrusive until they're eventually on an anti-hippy, anti communism, higher up the food chain, bodies need meat rant.
    I just sit there perplexed wondering why I even bother getting into these conversations when questioned.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

^^^ Received thanks from Moonbaby.

Sweet, I have my thanks abilities back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Frikkin hate the stuff, coz I don't like eating loads of wheat, but if I brought that up people would definitely think I'm a hippy dippy gwyneth paltrow plank-and-a-half. Admittedly my eating habits are rather hippyish, but it's just coz I like the way veganism affects my health and energy levels, in every other aspect of my life I can generally be described as a cynical, materialistic so-and-so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

Peanut wrote: »
    I have given up on people with that ridiculous attitude, but if you could be bothered to argue with them then you can mention that many animals are practically vegetarian with no health problems, so they are talking rubbish, eg chimpanzees, other types of apes, farm animals etc.

If they persist in being dumbasses, you could mention about 400 million Indians are vegetarian (~ 1/3 of the population), but I would probably just give up and ignore them at that stage..

Exactly. I don't know how people in this day and age can say that vegetarians are unhealthy. It's like saying that the Earth revolves around the Sun.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I think almost anyone could be a vegetarian in India :) They do some really tasty things with vegetables...

• Advertisement

Serpentine wrote: »
    :D:D:D I think I'll be using the "clearly you're an idiot" line for quite some time, I find it such an indication of low intelligence/stupidity/ignorance when ppl try to convert me to meat eating esp since I've been veggie for 13 years how egotistical is that?? :rolleyes: My favourite is WHAT DO YOU EAT AT CHRISTMAS followed closely by WOULD YA NOT LOVE A BURGER??

LOL :) That's a great line (about the burger)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

casper- wrote: »
    It's like saying that the Earth revolves around the Sun.

It does...

Gadgie wrote: »
    It does...

Err ... Wait ... That's not what I meant :)

*goes off to hide in a corner for a while*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

lol! if only they knew... you'd love it if peas didn't exist. or carrots. or onions. he he he a very picky vegetarian indeed!;)

I like some peas! :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 frecklz

There are more important things needed that one should think about, like Omega oils etc.

You can get Omega oils from vegetarian sources. Flora has them for instance, and that's vegetarian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Clink

casper- wrote: »
    Exactly. I don't know how people in this day and age can say that vegetarians are unhealthy. It's like saying that the Earth revolves around the Sun.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I think almost anyone could be a vegetarian in India :) They do some really tasty things with vegetables...

It depends on what you eat as a vegetarian as to whether you're healthy or not though. All of the veggies that I know live on white pasta, lumps of cheese and ready meals. These are the people that are giving ye vegetarians the bad rep!

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Seconded. It's just as easy to be an unhealthy vegetarian as it is an unhealthy meat eater.
    But I think casper was trying to say that some people think it's impossible to be healthy if you're a vegetarian, which is untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Udo's Oil is vegan friendly AFAIK and has plenty of omega-3's. In general, so long as your vegan diet is more veg, oils, beans etc. orientated than bread, pasta, meat-free pizza etc. orientated then your fatty acid profiles should be fine.

I've only been a vegan for three weeks, so I don't know how much my opinion counts for, but usually when I'm going to people's houses I bring food or eat what I can of whatever I'm offered. I also tell people in advance so there are no surprises and I haven't had any problems in restaurants yet. I've cooked for friends twice now, and both times given them vegan meals. Well, I've been experimenting with different recipes so I may as well show them off!

As for your health, we're not the same creatures as chimpanzees or gorrillas, and we have certain protiens that we need to get from our diet to be in best health. These can be taken in from vegetables though so long as you know what you're doing, but I would take issue with people who become vegetarian/vegan purely for health reasons.

I do think it's funny though, that I could spend a month eating nothing but noodles, pasta, pizza (with roughly 1g of pepperoni on it :D) and chips, but yet when I announce that I'm going vegan my nutrition all of a sudden becomes an imminent concern!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

The healthy thing is actually so annoying, my best friend actually never eats any fruits or vegetables (they were forced down her as a youngun and she's nearly phobic), snacks on chocolate and KFC constantly, and still bangs on at me about how unhealthy my diet is. I'm actually one of the healthiest people I know, seriously, I have an immune system and a half, and only ever throw up if I'm after a few too many drinks. Whereas she sniffles and moodswings her way through life :mad:

Advertisement