Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why is Diesel the same price as petrol?

Options
  • 29-11-2007 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

I know that with the scarcity of oil (or of the supply of it) that prices go up.
    I can understand that.
    I just don't get why all of a sudden diesel that used to be 10p / 6-7c cheaper per gallon is now the same price as unleaded petrol.
    I bought a diesel car in order to make save some cash:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Your still saving cash, you get much further on 50 euros of Diesel than you do on 50 euros of Petrol, the price difference was pretty minimal 6 months ago when i bought my Diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's winter (in the northern hemisphere and the US in particular) and refining capacity that would be assigned to diesel production is no given over to heating oil production instead. Supply and demand. Happens every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Its the same price because you're going to a petrol station run by a chancer.
    Funnily enough, these chancers continue to operate because people continue to go to them regardless of the price. Diesel is still cheaper than petrol, it was avail for >€1 a week or two ago (from tesco if you did your shopping there, 104.9c without shopping)
    But some places charge crazy prices, the statoil on the quays for example, about 170c a litre P and D, why people head in there amazes me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

Thanks for that Alun,
    I knew the demand for heating oil goes up in winter, thats why I get it refilled in Sept. I didn't realise it was at the expense of diesel production.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

Mellor wrote: »
    Its the same price because you're going to a petrol station run by a chancer.
    Funnily enough, these chancers continue to operate because people continue to go to them regardless of the price. Diesel is still cheaper than petrol, it was avail for >€1 a week or two ago (from tesco if you did your shopping there, 104.9c without shopping)
    But some places charge crazy prices, the statoil on the quays for example, about 170c a litre P and D, why people head in there amazes me
    Down the wesht (sic) here, it's not worth trying to find a Tescos.
    As for shopping around, I do.
    There just doesn't seem to be any competition whatsoever in Ennis/Shannon region.
    They're all charging 120.9. And that's after checking about 12 garages in the region

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I passed a filling station yesterday and the petrol was 115.9 and the diesel was 120.9 :eek:

Opposite St. Vincent's Hospital in Dublin, if you want to avoid it...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

paulksnn wrote: »
    I bought a diesel car in order to make save some cash:confused:
    A round trip to Cork used to cost me €70 in petrol in my old Nissan Primera.

In my BMW 320D, it costs me about €40 in diesel.

When I filled up in Tesco's Clarehall about a week ago, Diesel was 1.11 and petrol was 1.16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Benchmark motorcard:
    Petrol: 116.6
    Diesel: 122.7:eek:

A round trip to Cork used to cost me €70 in petrol in my old Nissan Primera.

In my BMW 320D, it costs me about €40 in diesel.
    I reckon there was something wrong with your Primera.. your 320d is doing about 41mpg.. Primera should easily do the same.

€40 @ 1.11/L = 36L = 7.92 Gallons. Assuming your round trip is ~330 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

JHMEG wrote: »
    I reckon there was something wrong with your Primera.. your 320d is doing about 41mpg.. Primera should easily do the same.
    You're seriously suggesting that a 12-year old 1.6L petrol engine will give the same MPG as a 3-year old 2.0L Diesel on a long distance run?

• Advertisement

You're seriously suggesting that a 12-year old 1.6L petrol engine will give the same MPG as a 3-year old 2.0L Diesel on a long distance run?
    Easily. 40mpg+ should be no problem on a long run for a normal 1.6L petrol: My brother's 1992 1.6L Carina does 45mpg+. My old 1997 Civic did the same when I had it.

I'm starting to think now that your diesel and your old Primera are broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Diesel costs more to produce than petrol.. it always has.

The reason Diesel was always cheaper was due different duty rates on petrol and diesel (diesel haveing a lower rate)

It is with the recent increases in oil prices has pushed the pre-tax price up.

also.. in the US.. diesel has always been more expensive than petrol (Gasoline)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Easily. 40mpg+ should be no problem on a long run for a normal 1.6L petrol...I'm starting to think now that your diesel and your old Primera are broken.

Maybe his right foot weighs a lot ;)

Well something's wrong! At 1.16 a litre the poor auld primera was only doing 24mpg.. My gas guzzling Integra would manage 33mpg on the same trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Well something's wrong! At 1.16 a litre the poor auld primera was only doing 24mpg.. My gas guzzling Integra would manage 33mpg on the same trip.

My primeras pushing at least 30mpg+ and i drive her hard :D

Advertisement