Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP Pro SP2 - Hanging on shutdown.

• 29-11-2007 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Having worked perfectly for over a year, my desktop has started, intermittently, to hang on shutdown.

I ran Disk Cleanup followed by Disk Defragmenter, but the problem is still there.

Is there anything else I can do?

Many thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Close all your apps, all the background apps, open taskbar and look for them. See if some app is clinging on for dear life at shutdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Greehell,

Thanks for that.

Two things.......

1. Using Google, I have discovered that Roxio Creator LE Edition, which came with this DELL machine, can cause trouble at shutdown. As it happens, I had been using it just before shutting down today.

2. How do I open the Taskbar? I will do so the next time I use Roxio.

3. Are there any cheap (even free!) and better alternatives to Roxio? I'm a professional photographer and I burn a shed load of CDs and DVDs.

Many thanks.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Dinarius wrote: »
    3. Are there any cheap (even free!) and better alternatives to Roxio? I'm a professional photographer and I burn a shed load of CDs and DVDs.
    http://cdburnerxp.se/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Get startup inspector & stop any startup item ya dont need. click consult to google for information on each item, tick the boxes for those you want to stop & apply.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if it's windows XP you could try system restore to roll back to when it was stable

use hdtune to check your hard drive

does the problem occur in safe mode too

could also be viruses / malware - do a scan too

• Advertisement
Advertisement