Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Auld Racism"

Options
  • 29-11-2007 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭

Dunno if this is better suited to Politics ? but Mods feel free to move as appropriate.....

OK, I realise this has probably been done to death on boards before, but it creeps into so many discussions here, maybe it deserves a thread of its own.

I think Racism, by its’ true definition, is Completely Wrong, and Unacceptable Anywhere, but it really annoys the bejeasus out of me when you come up against people, who seem like they’re just waiting for any opportunity to shout RACIST !!

I confess to being, 'Definitely Not Politically Correct', at the best of times, and tbh you’ll get no apologies for it. Generally speaking, the good old concept of Mutual Respect still works for me, because it has to be shown, earned, and learned.
    The understanding of what is, and what is not, truly Racist, seems to be very very muddy these days. So I’ll just list a few things that are IMO, both Racist, and Not Racist, and we’ll go from there. In Particular, I hope Immigrants/Foreign Nationals/Persons of ALL Races will contribute here, with their own slant on the issue.

OK Here we go

IMO
    Believing you are genetically, intellectually, and, say, spiritually superior, to persons of other Races, purely on the basis of your Race = RACIST

Hating persons of any other Race purely on the basis of their Race = RACIST

Telling derogatory, Racially motivated jokes = RACIST

Using Derogatory terms, to describe persons of different Races (We all know them) = RACIST

And IMO

Believing Race can sometimes be an Issue, but not a Problem = Not RACIST

Not having any Hip Hop or Reggae on your iPod, because you don’t like it = Not RACIST

Using the term ‘Black Coffee’ = Not RACIST

Dreaming of a White Christmas = Not RACIST
    ................................................................................................................

NB: Please briefly read/browse through the WHOLE thread before Posting, so as to avoid us going around in Circles.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Jedi scum

I disagree about your derogatory terms / jokes = racist thing. Words is words, actions is actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

marcsignal wrote: »

Couldn't disagree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I agree with disagreeing on the jokes thing. It would be racist if said maliciously to someone belonging to the race involved though.

Though I'd think assuming black people have hip-hop and reggae on their ipods is quite racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Em, I dunno Beans, I suppose you could have a joke with a racial theme that's not necessarily derogatory, per say.

Do you not think over exposure to derogatory racially motivated jokes, could lead to comlplacancy about things that could be considered truly racist ?
    TPD wrote: »
    Though I'd think assuming black people have hip-hop and reggae on their ipods is quite racist.

i was refering to white people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think some people who cry 'racist !' a lot deep down they think they are somehow superior to the (insert minority name here_) and in their arrogance think that they (minority) need defending from any criticism negative or unfair or whatever. I think its this inate superiority complex that the pc crowd have marks them out as being the most likely to scream racist. Thats my theory anyway.

I think also a lot of times its just an emotional over-reaction - or a reading of things from a perspective of actively looking to find elements of political incorrectness.

If you look hard enough you can see things that arent necessarily there - or you can see stamements that are meant to be factual or honest and free of bias as being unfairly negative.

To some people if you say ANYTHING remotely negative about certain selected minorities - you are racist. Its much the same as if you criticise israel to some people will say that you have to be a devout evil anti-semitic person - and that you cant just . . . . . for example not be a fan of the way the state of israel behaves on occassion. Some people use accusations of racism or anti semitism as a way of bypassing legitimate or honest criticism. Which is a bit of a pain and kind of inversely fascist imo.

• Advertisement

I agree with disagreeing on the jokes thing. It would be racist if said maliciously to someone belonging to the race involved though.

Ok, but it also depends on how the said joke is delivered

ie: "Did you hear about the n***er etc etc..." in any scenario, wouldn't be acceptable IMO
    Morlar wrote: »
    I think some people who cry 'racist !' a lot deep down they think they are somehow superior to the (insert minority name here_) and in their arrogance think that they (minority) need defending from any criticism negative or unfair or whatever. I think its this inate superiority complex that the pc crowd have marks them out as being the most likely to scream racist. Thats my theory anyway.

I think also a lot of times its just an emotional over-reaction - or a reading of things from a perspective of actively looking to find elements of political incorrectness.

If you look hard enough you can see things that arent necessarily there - or you can see stamements that are meant to be factual or honest and free of bias as being unfairly negative.

To some people if you say ANYTHING remotely negative about certain selected minorities - you are racist. Its much the same as if you criticise israel to some people will say that you have to be a devout evil anti-semitic person - and that you cant just . . . . . for example not be a fan of the way the state of israel behaves on occassion. Some people use accusations of racism or anti semitism as a way of bypassing legitimate or honest criticism. Which is a bit of a pain and kind of inversely fascist imo.

yeah, i'd agree with you there Molar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Well that would be the derogatory terms, the joke itself 9 times out of 10 can be told without any offensive words.

There was an 'afro turf' one I heard recently that I dont think anyone could take too much offense to. I wouldnt take any more offense to a joke about my skin colour than I would about some other physical property I cant change - say the shape of my nose or size of my feet.

I wouldnt take any more offense to a joke about my skin colour than I would about some other physical property I cant change - say the shape of my nose or size of my feet.

good point TBD, but I've heard some really funny jokes with racial themes from black and jewish friends, that I wouldn't feel comfortable telling myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

i was refering to white people

I think his point is that you uniquely associated hip-hop and reggae as something that is representative of black music taste as a whole, when in fact there are black people that like neither hip-hop or reggae. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Moved from AH at the OP's request.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Chris Rock on racism.
    I guess he divides it up along the line black people/n*ggers as white people/white trash.

Enlil_Nick wrote: »
    I think his point is that you uniquely associated hip-hop and reggae as something that is representative of black music taste as a whole
    well, actually i never mentioned black people once, when i refered to iPod & Hip Hop or Reggae, I was refering to white people. The reason I mention it, is that when i've expressed my own dislike of hip hop, in the past, I've gotten some odd reactions from people, assuming i didn't like it because it was associated, to some degree, with black culture, as opposed to just not liking it musically.
    when in fact there are black people that like neither hip-hop or reggae. :rolleyes:

eh ? yeah, like i don't know that ? i have at least 3 black friends in Dublin that dont like hip hop, so it's not exactly news to me.
    Terry wrote: »
    Moved from AH at the OP's request.

thanks terry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

I wouldnt take any more offense to a joke about my skin colour than I would about some other physical property I cant change - say the shape of my nose or size of my feet.

I don't think it's that simple really. You can have 10 PhDs, Nobel prize and an Oscar but they will be people who will still think you are something lesser, coz you speak with a funny accent. This can be annoying for some people.

Having said that, I do think that the word Racism is way overused. As I said somewhere else on the boards, i think people who do it are as bad as actual racists.

We have our differences, and pretending otherwise just causes problems. Especially in Ireland now with the influx of foreigners. This has an effect on this country, in some cases good in some cases bad. Pretending that nothing is happening is just plain stupid and short sighted. I mean nearly a million people from loads of different backgrounds came to the country with a population of 4 million within the last 10 years. Of course there will be consequences.

The problem with that is that there is no discussion about it. The mantra is we are all equal, the same and that's that. Whoever says differently is a racist. Even Kevin Myers stopped writing about immigration - i don't exactly agree with everything he says, but at least he was trying. But he was stopped by the PR brigade and just had enough. And I don't blame him.

And just to make it clear, i'm a foreigner myslef, so i'm kinda allowed to go on rants about that ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

well, actually i never mentioned black people once, when i refered to iPod & Hip Hop or Reggae, I was refering to white people. The reason I mention it, is that when i've expressed my own dislike of hip hop, in the past, I've gotten some odd reactions from people, assuming i didn't like it because it was associated, to some degree, with black culture, as opposed to just not liking it musically.
    thanks terry

I didn't mean to be too sarky, I just found that point a little unclear. :o

I've also never met someone who would assume a person's opinions on hip-hop stems from their feelings towards the entire black race. I have, however, met racist bastards whose favourite artists are 50 Cent, though. :confused:

I didn't mean to be too sarky, I just found that point a little unclear. :o
    jeez, no offence taken, no worries ;)
    I have, however, met racist bastards whose favourite artists are 50 Cent, though. :confused:

yeah, so have I, and i'm thinking WTF ????:confused: Like irish republicans, who support Man Utd/Liverpool, thats a fckn mystery to me ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

I think his point is that you uniquely associated hip-hop and reggae as something that is representative of black music taste as a whole, when in fact there are black people that like neither hip-hop or reggae. :rolleyes:

and there are irish people who DONT like trad music

boys who DONT like football

and newzelanders who DONT play rugby

its not racist to make assuptions about likes/dislikes unless done in a negative light

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Heads up: you're in Politics now, and Politics rules apply. Posts from this point on will be moderated as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It's very simple as far as i can see. If you intend to put someone down or discriminate against them because of their race, then it's racist. Not liking a certain type of music is not racist, to not like it simply becaue it is black/asian music wold raise questions about your own prejudices.

Turn the whole thing on it's head for a moment and put yourself in the shoes of someone being descriminated against. What would upset you? do you dislike jokes about the Irish, or only when told by a Brit as a put down? Do you dislike the term Paddy, or only when used by a Brit as a put down.

The whole racism thing is fairly straight forward, do unto others and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

People who are very PC do not want to offend anyone and in the process they do offend someone. For instance last year AFAIK in crumlin childrens hospital they took down a manger at christmas in case it offended any non christians. but what about the people in the hospital who were christian?(this is just an example)

Trevor McDonald made a joke after bernard manning died calling him a fat,white bastard. I can appreciate the context this was in as bernard was a racist but it makes you think... if this had been a white newsreader his career would be over and he'd probably be sued to hell.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/06/26/njoke126.xml

Im by no means a racist ive got friends from many different cultures but i can see where some people would get the hump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I agree, its another form of positive discrimination, where someone feels that they have to defend the poor down trodden ethnic minority. It especially pisses me off when that same person complains "skangers" or "knackers" and treats travellers or people from inner city estates in the same way or worse as racists treat other ethnic minorities. Happens a lot to imo.

• Advertisement

I'm confused sometines about the RAR (Residents Against Racism) group.
    In principal, their cause is a good one, but I've only ever seen them on the news defending the rights of Africans, to stay in Ireland, for example, I've never seen them on the news defending the rights of a Middle Eastern Person, or a Chinese Person :confused:

I've also wondered, if a former white farmer had come to Ireland from Zimbabwe, with his family, fleeing persecution from, the Racist, "Robert Mugabe" and his thugs at home, and were in danger of being deported. How quick would RAR be, to defend their right to stay in Ireland ?? and if they wouldn't take the case on board, wouldn't that be slightly racist ??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I remember seeing the BNP demonstrating outside a Mosque in London where a group of high rnking Immans were discussing how best to go about implementing Sharia (sp?) law in the UK. Because the BNP were there, Anti Fascist Action were there to try and disrupt their demonstration. The irony was, what was being discussed inside the mosque was far more discriminatory than the BNP's politics, but becuase they were Muslim, the AFA seemed to lose sight of the fact that they could be Racist/Sexist/homophobic etc.

It's a sad world when political views get in the way of decent ordinary common sense.

I know what you mean FF, I've also found some of the people who are most Pro Immigration/Multiculturalism can be very choosey. For example i'm sure there are parts of the world where Female Circumsision is allowed and practiced culturally. But when a person with those cultural beliefs come to Ireland the Feminazis are up in arms ??

I don't think its fair to say to someone, well we'll have this bit, and that bit of your beliefs/cultural practices, but you'll have to leave this bit, and that bit of your beliefs/cultural practices at the door.

You either accept something warts and all, or you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Depends on the context, and it depends on who's telling it.
    Believing Race can sometimes be an Issue, but not a Problem = Not RACIST
    Not sure I understand this one. Surely if someone believes that race is "an issue" ...
    I think some people who cry 'racist !' a lot deep down they think they are somehow superior to the (insert minority name here_) and in their arrogance think that they (minority) need defending from any criticism negative or unfair or whatever.
    Interesting point - does that make the people in question racist themselves?
    To some people if you say ANYTHING remotely negative about certain selected minorities - you are racist.
    Well, that would be racist, because you would be generalising based on ethnicity.
    The reason I mention it, is that when i've expressed my own dislike of hip hop, in the past, I've gotten some odd reactions from people, assuming i didn't like it because it was associated, to some degree, with black culture, as opposed to just not liking it musically.
    That has actually happened to me too, albeit just the once. The irony is that the guy making the accusations was one of the racist people I've ever met!
    ojewriej wrote: »
    I mean nearly a million people from loads of different backgrounds came to the country with a population of 4 million within the last 10 years.
    Let's not exaggerate.
    The problem with that is that there is no discussion about it.
    See, I just don't understand it when people say that. Scarcely a day goes by when the word 'immigration' or 'immigrant' does not appear in a newspaper. And besides, these issues have been discussed at length on this very forum!
    Even Kevin Myers stopped writing about immigration - i don't exactly agree with everything he says, but at least he was trying. But he was stopped by the PR brigade and just had enough. And I don't blame him.
    He stopped because he couldn't find enough people to support his warped ideas.
    DrumSteve wrote: »
    For instance last year AFAIK in crumlin childrens hospital they took down a manger at christmas in case it offended any non christians. but what about the people in the hospital who were christian?
    Religious symbolism has no place in public buildings.
    I can appreciate the context this was in as bernard was a racist but it makes you think... if this had been a white newsreader his career would be over and he'd probably be sued to hell.
    I don't think so. Bernard Manning was a racist pig - Trev was just telling it like it is.

djpbarry wrote: »

The key word here is really 'derogatory' but I don't think it matters who is telling the jokes, if they're derogatory, they are by their very nature offensive. Having said that I've heard some hilarious Black and Jewish jokes form Black and Jewish friends, that are racially motivated, but not derogatory, but, that said, I wouldn't feel comfortable telling them myself, being neither Black or Jewish.
    Not sure I understand this one. Surely if someone believes that race is "an issue" ...
    'issue' was probalby not the best choice of word here. But as an example, if your neighbour in an Apartment block was Muslim, I'd consider it just good manners, and having consideration for him/her by avoiding having loud, late night parties during Ramadam. In that case his race might be an issue, when plannng a party, but not necessarily a problem.
    If you know what I mean ?? Ok not suggesting you live like a monk because of it, but rather to try ones best to extend him/her the respect you'd like him/her to extend you.
    That has actually happened to me too, albeit just the once. The irony is that the guy making the accusations was one of the racist people I've ever met!

my experience exactly, see back a few posts.
    See, I just don't understand it when people say that. Scarcely a day goes by when the word 'immigration' or 'immigrant' does not appear in a newspaper. And besides, these issues have been discussed at length on this very forum!

I do think when 'race' (the elephant in the corner of the room) or immigration, for example, is discussed, many people are reluctant to mention the negative aspects of say, multiculturalism, for example, for fear of being labelled racist, and consequently, say nothing instead. Let's face it, who would want to be labelled a Racist ? Not me anyway, no thanks.

Ehhh, I have no special love for Myres, but I couldn't accept that as valid without seeing some stats. I personally think, it's more likely, that many people disliked his 'West Brit' persona and his tendancy to come over as arrogant.
    I honestlly think the manger only became Religious Symbolism in the last 5 years or so. Before then nobody had a problem with it.
    I don't think so. Bernard Manning was a racist pig - Trev was just telling it like it is.
    Yes Manning was a disgusting person, however if 'Brian Dobson' was to make a similar remark about Robert Mugabe, who IMO is also a Racist Pig, even in private circles, I believe he would be missing form the 6 one news pretty sharpish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I'm confused sometines about the RAR (Residents Against Racism) group.
    In principal, their cause is a good one, but I've only ever seen them on the news defending the rights of Africans, to stay in Ireland, for example, I've never seen them on the news defending the rights of a Middle Eastern Person, or a Chinese Person :confused:

I agree Marc, the RAR have little credibility, especially with a name like they have. Not every immigrant is a legitimate asylum seeker, in fact very few are in Ireland so it's bordering on defamatory accusing people of being racist for wanting to have an immigration policy that is based on international standards

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

biko wrote: »
    Chris Rock on racism.
    I guess he divides it up along the line black people/n*ggers as white people/white trash.

I guess he divides it up along the line black people/n*ggers as white people/[knackers/scumbags]...
    We have our differences
    Racist!:p
    I have, however, met racist bastards whose favourite artists are 50 Cent, though. :confused:
    Check out "Dave Chappelle - Black White Supremacist":D
    Im by no means a racist ive got friends from many different cultures but i can see where some people would get the hump.
    This, to me, sounds like someone saying "I'm not a racist, cos I've got friends who are n|ggers, ch|nks, and pak|es".
    djpbarry wrote:
    Agreed. An Irish person telling a "Irish man, an English man, and a Scots man" joke would be different if a English man said it to get people to laugh at the Irish.
    djpbarry wrote:
    Well, that would be racist, because you would be generalising based on ethnicity.
    And if you state that a lot the black people in Africe / the US / etc, are poor, than you're a racist.
    djpbarry wrote:
    See, I just don't understand it when people say that. Scarcely a day goes by when the word 'immigration' or 'immigrant' does not appear in a newspaper.
    "If you think there are lots of immigrants coming in to theis country, you must be a racist!"

"If you think that immigration is ANYTHING but 100% ok, you must be racist."

"If you think that we should look after the poor on our street, before looking after a non-Irish person, you're a racist Nazi."

"If you discuss a way that an immigrant can integrate into our society, you're racist: as we must not stop them from bringing in their customs."

My point: mentioning the words "immigrant" and "immigration" is usually followed by "you're a racist". This is not a discussion, it's bo||ox. The above are examples I've seen people sprouting, and are not my own beliefs
    djpbarry wrote:
    I agree on this one. No crosses, so jewellery, no headscarf's, or those thing the muslim women wear, covering them from head to toe.
    djpbarry wrote:
    Bernard Manning was a racist pig - Trev was just telling it like it is.
    I don't know either of them, but to condemn one person for name-calling, but to condoning someone else for name calling the person they condemned reeks of double standards.

the_syco wrote: »
    This, to me, sounds like someone saying "I'm not a racist, cos I've got friends who are n|ggers, ch|nks, and pak|es".

That old line "I'm not a racist, cos I've got friends who are n|ggers, ch|nks, and pak|es" dosen't wash with me, I really don't think a true Racist would even entertain the idea of having any friends from another ethnic group.

tbh, it's more like the kind of line RAR would come out with, trying desperately in their endless quest, to find a racist in everyone.

I've plenty of ethnic friends, but wouldn't be for a totally 'open door' policy on immigration, and some, but not all mind, of my ethnic friends feel the same.

Let's not exaggerate.

Ok then. What do you think the figure is?

This exactly proves my point. People are talking, so it is an issue.
    But people who can actually do something about it won't even try, because they don't wont to be branded a racist.

So what are his warped ideas?

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Racist!:p

No, it's ok, i'm a foreigner myself, i'm allowed.

Advertisement