Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Auld Racism"

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Islam is not a race, it's a religion. Plus there are more British than Chinese.

I said ethnic, not race. As in
    Of or relating to a sizable group of people sharing a common and distinctive racial, national, religious, linguistic, or cultural heritage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I think something alot of people are confused about, and something that Chris Rock highlights very well... there is a very big difference between race and culture.

The main issue with racism, is that people assume because you look a certain way, you act a certain way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

It's also how Racism is defined from country to country ,what's funny and just a joke to some is racist to others. The late british comedian Bernard manning was classed in some circles as being racist in his jokes but he defended his jokes as only saying (in his concerts and press ) what a lot of people thought ie, freedom of speech and all that .Quite a lot of non-white people (of which most of his gags were aimed at ) actually agreed with him .

We have to remember that some people in society have a bigger sense of what is right and wrong than others and act accordingly if they feel they have being wronged ,weather it's a racist /joke in bad taste,or a case involving the law and have more to gain in getting their point/ message across in any injustices they feel have being perpetuated against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

psi wrote: »
    I think something alot of people are confused about, and something that Chris Rock highlights very well... there is a very big difference between race and culture.

The main issue with racism, is that people assume because you look a certain way, you act a certain way.

best post of the thread :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

djpbarry wrote: »
    So, racism doesn't exist unless you bring together people of different races?

Racism is not a symptom of anything. Racism is a disgusting blight on any society and should be dealt with severely. Overlooking it is equally disgusting, in my opinion.

Ok, let me specify this - growth of racism is a symptom of increased immigration. Agree with all your points on racism, but as i said, it's just one of the problems we need to address, not the only one.
    No, his ill-informed "observations" are designed to instil xenophobia.

No they are not.His observations are designed to make people think and ask questions.

Probably because he is a xenophobe. Judge for yourself:
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/latelate/20070928.html

I think our definitions ox xenophobia differ. I believe it is irrationa fear of everything foreign. I don't think his fears are irrational.

Of course it matters. How can you have a rational debate about anything if you're not prepared to deal in facts? You say, "at least Myers is raising the issue of immigration". I say, he is a sensationalist who researches virtually nothing (as far as I can tell) and should be writing for the Daily Mail (if even they will have him). He constantly calls for public debate on immigration; so, debate it Kevin.

It doesn't matter wheteher there are Muslim countries who accept a lot of Christians. What matters is that we are accepting a lot of Muslims.

Stupid statement. So, if a group does not organise a mass-rally denouncing something, then, by default, that means they support it?

No, but that makes me think if they condone it. I want to believe that Islam is a religion of peace and Muslim people don't wish me any harm.. But it's hard to believe it when only assurances are coming from people who are not Muslims themselves.
    Why the hell should they?!? People are entitled to pursue whatever career they want.

No one forces them, but it's a good indication if the community is interested in integrating.
    :confused: How exactly?

Just of the top of my head:

Christmas decorations seem to be disappearing all over Europe.

Muslim Police officers refusing to stand guard outside Israeli embassy - and getting away with it.

Muslim women allowed to have their faces covered on the Driving Licences in Czech Republic

Right, so one incident in one particular country should be used to judge all other countries of the same religion? Well, that makes life easy for people like Myers, doesn't it? Saves them having to do all that research into facts and such.

It's not really one incident in one particular country though, is it? Remember what happened when the famous cartoons were published in Denmark?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

ojewriej wrote: »
    I think our definitions ox xenophobia differ. I believe it is irrationa fear of everything foreign. I don't think his fears are irrational.
    It would appear that this is where we disagree.
    It doesn't matter wheteher there are Muslim countries who accept a lot of Christians. What matters is that we are accepting a lot of Muslims.
    You're missing the point. My problem with the guy is that he does not deal in facts - I just used this one particular statistic to illustrate the point.

But seeing as we're on the subject, Ireland has not accepted "a lot" of Muslims - they are still a tiny minority in this country.
    No, but that makes me think if they condone it. I want to believe that Islam is a religion of peace and Muslim people don't wish me any harm.. But it's hard to believe it when only assurances are coming from people who are not Muslims themselves.
    You don't read the news much, do you?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/5111092.stm
    No one forces them, but it's a good indication if the community is interested in integrating.
    http://www.met.police.uk/associations/muslim_police.htm
    I find that hard to believe. There are Christmas markets popping up all over the place, in Birmingham (a major Muslim centre) for example.
    Muslim Police officers refusing to stand guard outside Israeli embassy - and getting away with it.
    You're twisting the truth here. First of all, we are talking about one particular case. Secondly, the guy objected on moral grounds because he had family in Lebanon, not purely because he was Muslim.
    Muslim women allowed to have their faces covered on the Driving Licences in Czech Republic
    Got a source for that?
    It's not really one incident in one particular country though, is it?
    Yes, it is.
    Remember what happened when the famous cartoons were published in Denmark?
    Yes, I do. What about them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Utter rubbish.

I live in the US, where they start with christmas decorations at the end of Nov. - I've just arrived in Europe and there are *far* more decorations here, more than I ever remember seeing.

So again, utter tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

War on Christmas! War on Christmas! War on Christmas! War on Christmas! War on Christmas! War on Christmas! War on Christmas! War on Christmas! War on Christmas! War on Christmas! War on Christmas! War on Christmas! War on Christmas! War on Christmas! War on Christmas! War on Christmas! War on Christmas! War on Christmas!

Bill O'Reilly said so! Secular progressives are raping baby jesus!

*(By Secular progressives, I mean Islam and it's sympathisers)

**(By all that I'm being a sarcastic fúcker toward the comment that christmas decorations are disappearing all over Europe and apologise in advance should my comments be too caustic for this forum!)

Ob.....Always gotta call it as I see it in politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Oh, by the way, here in good christian Korea, there seems to be a lack of christmas decorations.........ohhhhhh, who will I blame it on.......ahhhh those Islamist motherfúcks who happen to get **** because they are non-Caucasian, despite the fact that I am a 14 thousand miles different to the place, and despite the fact that they come from a place that is a lot closer then me........but......their skin is a different color.....imagine that!

FFS!

Yeah, Christmas decorations are disappearing :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 HomeBrewPlease

Just on the "whether we should take muslim immigrants or not" issue, Muslims are the third largest ethnic group in the country now, (after chinese and presumably Irish), and there are more muslims than travellers. They have been migrating to this country for a lot longer than poles or other europeans (there has been a mosque in Mayo since the 70s-I can't remember the town but there's a sizeable muslim community-can try and find out if needs be) and despite this we haven't had any major problems with muslims that I can see? Also, anyone can convert to islam, christian, jewish or whatever.

Ballyhaunis in Mayo has a mosque

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~isoc/mosques.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement