Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light switch pops, sparks & blows fuse when turned on

Options
  • 29-11-2007 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi all,
    I have a double light switch in the kitchen. One of the switches is ok, turns on & off the relevant lights. The other though sparks & blows the fuse in the fuseboard when I turn it on. I replaced the fuse a couple of times, but everytime I flick the light switch, it goes again. Could anyone advise as to what the problem might be? Would getting & wiring a new switch sort it, or could it be the wiring or light fitting itself?

I did a search & had a look at other posts, and saw plenty about wiring, but none specifically about this. Apologies if it's already been discussed.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It sounds like a short. Get an electrician in.
    Refrain from using it until you had a pro look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Just sounding this out...

You have a fuse board (with fuses which blow) and not with switches (MCB's)...?
    If it's a physical fuse which is blowing, you have a short across the Live and Neutral, either at the back of the switch or in the fitting. If there is a seperate MCB added to the bank of physical fuses, then this is the RCD which detects live to earth conditions. Is this popping?

If you don't have any MCB's or RCD's, you may ask the electrician who attends to rectify the issue with the short to quote you on a new fuse board also, as you may be starting to experience breakdown of the cladding on the house wiring, and a new board will help to protect you somewhat from this. Of course, the electrician will be able to advise better on this matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 marvinsa

Thanks for the above posts guys, I'll get an electrician in rather than risk electrocuting myself or someone else!

Advertisement