Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probably a dumb q from a newbie ...

Options
  • 29-11-2007 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭

My son (age 10) is asking me to buy him GH ...

Is this a good way for a kid to learn to play a guitar, or should I just buy him a guitar ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Short answer - Buy the guitar.

Long answer:
    In no way shape or form are the GH games a legit Guitar simulator. It's a case of watch the X factor and you see Simon Cowell tell some dozy teenager that she can't sing and will never make it when her friends told her she'd be great and go for it because she got the most points out of the lot of them on Singstar!

In all seriousness:
    If you want a fun game, GH is for you, if you want to learn to play guitar, get a basic guitar, probably less money too.

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

Ty !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I was going to post a version of this message in the "how to hold guitar" topic but here seems more on-topic.

Firstly, if your son wants GH you should probably buy him GH, if he wants to learn the guitar you should probably look to buy him a guitar. ;)

Guitar hero will teach you some basic timing and rhythm, it will also train dexterity in your fingers but it's fairly far removed from a guitar. You have 5 buttons and a single strummer as opposed to ~24 frets and 6 strings to strum accross. Even at that some people stick to just 3 or 4 buttons (nothing wrong with that). Fretting a mm thick guitar string is a lot different to a 1 inch plastic button. The list goes on but ultimatly there is minimal comparison and I doubt many will disagree. Having said that, I do feel that having guitar experience before playing GH has helped me in the game so there is some connection (likely to be rythm, dexterity and form).

However, I find that GH really boosts my eagerness to go and learn the GH song on an actual guitar so my suggestion would be to try GH out first and if your son is enjoying it and shows interest in the "real deal" then persue it, you won't be ripping out show-stopping solos after a weeks worth of play but it's not that difficult to learn memorable riffs from songs (Woman, Wayward Son, etc...) within a reasonable timeframe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Get him GH first, and if he loves it a lot, which he must!!! He will be far more interested in playing real guitar then. Buying a guitar first would probably result in the guitar being forgotten about in a few weeks.

Advertisement