Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diagnostic cable/software ?

Options
  • 29-11-2007 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi all

How can I establish what cable /software I need for an 01 Octavia. There are plenty of cheap on line options but also a baffling amount of Items.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

You need vag-com software and cable.
    The software is free but you need the genuine cable as it acts as a dongle.

This cable is suitable for all vw's/seat/skoda/audi from 1990 to present models.
    http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=VCHUC&Category_Code=VAGCOM

Neil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mallet head

Thanks for the reply.

That one s about 300 quid. Whats the story with the cheap ones on ebay? are they for something different?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

The cheap ones on ebay have limited functions and I don't think they work with the proper vag-com software from ross-tech. I think the is other software you can download to use with the cheaper cables but the functions are limited.

Neil.

Neilw wrote: »
    The cheap ones on ebay have limited functions and I don't think they work with the proper vag-com software from ross-tech. I think the is other software you can download to use with the cheaper cables but the functions are limited.

Neil.

Thats great. thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Neilw wrote: »

Neil.

The cheap cables work exactly the same as the genuine ross-tech ones on the older vag-com software. You will be able to access the basic commands with the shareware version 409.1. You can buy a licence and use the full software with these leads. Their newer software requires the use of genuine leads ;) as the cable actually acts as a dongle and releases the Vag-Com software. It is however possible to get knock off leads that have the in built information also.

If you just want to read engine codes, knock off the MIL light and mess around with other basic settings the cheap ebay ones are all you need.

• Advertisement

VeVeX wrote: »
    The cheap cables work exactly the same as the genuine ross-tech ones on the older vag-com software. You will be able to access the basic commands with the shareware version 409.1. You can buy a licence and use the full software with these leads. Their newer software requires the use of genuine leads ;) as the cable actually acts as a dongle and releases the Vag-Com software. It is however possible to get knock off leads that have the in built information also.

If you just want to read engine codes, knock off the MIL light and mess around with other basic settings the cheap ebay ones are all you need.

What I want it for is a bit of a diy project. The engine check light is on and I was presuming the cheap cable and software would let check the sensors and allow me to pinpoint the problem and repair it. Till recently I never bothered looking under the bonnet and a friend showed me how to service the car so now I'm hooked on learning about cars and what makes them tick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I have a 00 Octavia and Used VAG-COM on mine, got the cable from eBay and tried out the Shareware Version.

The reason I went about trying it out was because I was losing power at anything above 2500 - 3000.

Plugged in VAG-COM and it came back saying there was an Intermittant reading from the Mass Airflow Meter.

After googling it, it appeared this was a common thing, so i dropped into a Skoda garage, picked one up, replaced the one on the Airbox and voila .. back to normal again.

One thing i will say is be careful not to test the Airbags, apparently theres a bug whereby it can set off the Airbags (this is after research on briskoda).

Best of luck

Advertisement