Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smartphone or PDA ?

• 29-11-2007 7:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a new PDA, I've had a few over the years from Palm and Handspring (and actually had a Newton when it first came out !!!), but haven't really used one in a couple of years for various reasons.

Anyway, I want something that will mainly be used for working on MSOffice files - Excel and PowerPoint when I can't get my laptop out. GPS would be my next priority and then the integrated phone function would probably be third on my list of priorities.

Can anybody advise if I'd be better off getting a PDA or a BlackBerry ? I've been looking at either a Blackberry Curve, iPaq 6920 or perhaps something like a Dell Axim x50v or an older Ipaq 4700.

Any suggestions ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

simpsonsnewtonpanel.jpg

Get another Newton!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

i still have a pda and seperate nokia 6230 phone. this is handy for when i want to turn off the phone for a break, and still use the functions of the pda.

depends on your own requirements, but i love the ability to use the full screen on my palm tx for editing office files, watching vids etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Thanks - I've still got the Newton !

and a Palm3, a Handspring Visor, a HP 95?, a couple of old Casio Boss's and a...and a.. oh I can't remember now, I need the PDA just to remind me what old PDA's I've got lying around the house.

Im beginning to think that having them seperate may be the way to go as none of the phones seem to have the same functionality, but I'd like to have a look at a Blackberry before I make my mind up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Noblestee banned for a week. Pm me in one week. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

your a bit trigger happy with the ban there mate, you must have no humour in your life ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

that is a bit harsh, when i read the post i thought i was back in primary school when i would have to do time in the corner and get back to my teacher in 5 mins with an apology? i'd have to agree that having both phone and pda is rather handy, in my opinion a phone is for calls and pda's should focus on business related applications and email etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

that is a bit harsh, when i read the post i thought i was back in primary school when i would have to do time in the corner and get back to my teacher in 5 mins with an apology? i'd have to agree that having both phone and pda is rather handy, in my opinion a phone is for calls and pda's should focus on business related applications and email etc.

Crazy ban alright.
    In fairness Sarge apologised in feedback but it'd be nice to see an apology in this thread as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Guys, lets keep on topic , feedback is kept in that forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

At the moment the asus eee is very portable and not too expensive option. But good bit bigger than a pda

Something like the axim x51v. No built in keyboard... but has a good screen and can do vga out with an adapter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭deise-lady

This is probably a really stupid question (I'm not very good with technology), but can anyone tell me if I have a mobile for calls and a PDA for emails and have the same number for both of them at the same time?
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

You should have a look at the ipaq 514, it is a smartphone with windows mobile in a phone footprint. Good value at about 250 euro.

dingding wrote: »
    You should have a look at the ipaq 514, it is a smartphone with windows mobile in a phone footprint.

I have no idea what any of that means...sigh...:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

deise-lady wrote: »
    This is probably a really stupid question (I'm not very good with technology), but can anyone tell me if I have a mobile for calls and a PDA for emails and have the same number for both of them at the same time?
    thanks

I think you mean have two separate SIM cards, one for each device both having the same number. Technically yes it is possible but not currently offered by the mobiles networks in Ireland. Although I know it was trialled by at least one network in the past.
    You could have two SIMs on the one bill? Or a PDA that is a phone as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

deise-lady wrote: »
    I have no idea what any of that means...sigh...:o
    Just means it's a device (smartphone) that combines pda and phone functions but it's not much bigger than your average mobile phone.

Windows Mobile is just the operating system on the device. It's just a cut-down version of Windows on PCs.
    There are other operating systems on other smartphone devices e.g Nokia use Symbian.
    But ipaq use Windows Mobile.

PDA functions just mean stuff like email, internet, calender, tasks, contacts, office applications etc and ability to add more applications.
    Plus most pdas have wifi and bluetooth to communicate.
    Phone functionality just enhances all this.

Seems like a nice cheap smartphone TBH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Dont know if this is the correct thread. Mod, please move if not. Did anyone buy one of those CECT phones from dealextreme. What are they like, usewise?

mkennedy wrote: »
    Just means it's a device (smartphone) that combines pda and phone functions but it's not much bigger than your average mobile phone.

Windows Mobile is just the operating system on the device. It's just a cut-down version of Windows on PCs.
    There are other operating systems on other smartphone devices e.g Nokia use Symbian.
    But ipaq use Windows Mobile.

PDA functions just mean stuff like email, internet, calender, tasks, contacts, office applications etc and ability to add more applications.
    Plus most pdas have wifi and bluetooth to communicate.
    Phone functionality just enhances all this.

Seems like a nice cheap smartphone TBH

Thanks for all that, I think it's just what I need. star bar!

Advertisement