Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please feel *obliged* to offer advice!!

• 29-11-2007 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hey people! :)
    Thinking of doing arts in psychology, english and anthropology!
    Can anyone give me any info, tips...anything.....
    are these good subjects to choose together?

Loved maynooth on the open day! its a really nice college!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Woop_01

Yes I have to agree with you about the open day for 2007 on sat . it was more than nice and lovely . Did you get the talk about psychology MH101 and MH106 ?? . If not well in one talk some boy asked what subjects are the best to take with it . She said don’t do it pick subjects you will like after all over 170 people done psychology in first year . And only 30 get into second year . So pick subjects which you do like if you don’t get into second year after all . Any if you get into the arts at NUI Maynooth the first 3 weeks you can go to class’s which subjects you are thinking of studying to see what they like at university level . Psychology is a long subject and lots of learning +

Maths which most people don’t know about !! i hope this helps

oh you don't have to pick them uptill the three weeks are up . If your going to do english i would pick history with it . But after all you can't do history and psychology !! .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

My god! English, Anthro and Psychology? You do realise you'll have to read a hell of a lot of books. I did English and Anthro in 1st year and I was up to my eyes with reading.

I can't praise English enough though, I love the course. Anthro, I can't stand though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Well, I'm doing psychology at the moment in first year. The first few weeks it's all biology and experimental theory and statistical theory... A lot of people who thought it would be completely different hate it, but I personally love it :)

There's a lot of work, and it's all very new. Especially the lab reports, they're nothing like what you do in school haha. Don't be scared off by maths in statistics! It's insanely easy so don't worry. So far anyway :p If you have any other questions about it let me know.

From talking to other people... Anthro get's mixed responses but people seem to love english :) A lot a lot a lot of reading for those two though... Seriously...

I'm also doing Philosophy and non-beginners spanish if anyone's interested in those :p

kisaragi wrote: »
    Well, I'm doing psychology at the moment in first year. The first few weeks it's all biology and experimental theory and statistical theory... A lot of people who thought it would be completely different hate it, but I personally love it :)

There's a lot of work, and it's all very new. Especially the lab reports, they're nothing like what you do in school haha. Don't be scared off by maths in statistics! It's insanely easy so don't worry. So far anyway :p If you have any other questions about it let me know.

From talking to other people... Anthro get's mixed responses but people seem to love english :) A lot a lot a lot of reading for those two though... Seriously...

I'm also doing Philosophy and non-beginners spanish if anyone's interested in those :p

Yes at last !! , well I’m a LC student and thinking of studying in Maynooth it looks great !! . But I find Psychology very appealing to study and particularly developmental psychology and Cognitive
    Psychology I have read books on it . And got a book on statistical for psychology ... ok the maths are ok ... maybe a lot easier If someone showed me how to them . I hate maths so much !! . some maths I like ok lol :D . But in your first year do you do more maths than any other subjects in psychology ??? which subject do you study the most in psychology ?? . Do you have to study parts of the Brain yet ??? . So what’s the teaching like really ??? . And I was thinking of studying History , Economics , Psychology . But a big no for history its on the same time as psychology . Psychology will all ways be my first choice . But I was thinking of studying Spanish . I love the country . But is it hard to learn ... Did you do it in school . I'm sorry I’m my questions are all mixed up . its just what comes into my head . I was think of studying Spanish . with economics, psychology . is Spanish a good choice in first year of someone new. sorry sorry for so much questions . Is psychology hard in first year ?? . Is Spanish hard ??? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Noodlehead

I'm doing psychology and spanish as well, psychology does require a good bit of attention. You would definitely want it to be your academic focal point for the year. The languages I don't think are too demanding, they're really based on continuous assessment and attendance though so to build up your marks you need to make an effort to show up! Anthropology, sociology and english are, in my opinion, not good ideas to go with psychology, you would never NOT have a book in your hand.

As for beginning Spanish, I think it may in fact be the EASIEST language to learn, especially if you've done a language before. It's insanely simple. I only did it for 5th and 6th year in school and got a B1 in the LC. I've heard economics has a really low fail rate, but that its mind-numbingly boring.

Noodlehead wrote: »
    I'm doing psychology and spanish as well, psychology does require a good bit of attention. You would definitely want it to be your academic focal point for the year. The languages I don't think are too demanding, they're really based on continuous assessment and attendance though so to build up your marks you need to make an effort to show up! Anthropology, sociology and english are, in my opinion, not good ideas to go with psychology, you would never NOT have a book in your hand.

As for beginning Spanish, I think it may in fact be the EASIEST language to learn, especially if you've done a language before. It's insanely simple. I only did it for 5th and 6th year in school and got a B1 in the LC. I've heard economics has a really low fail rate, but that its mind-numbingly boring.

Thanks for the help . Yes I would agree with the economics part for some people. Thanks for the help In regards to psychology and Spanish it was really obliging thanks Thanks for the help . Yes I would agree with the economics part for some people. Thanks for the help In regards to psychology and Spanish it was really obliging thanks :D:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭nc0987

Noodlehead wrote: »
    Anthropology, sociology and english are, in my opinion, not good ideas to go with psychology, you would never NOT have a book in your hand.
    i know what ur saying but nothing else on the arts course really interests me ANY SUGGESTIONS ON SOMETHING THAT WOULD GO WELL WITH PSYCHOLOGHY AND GIVE ME A bit of a break at the same time?
    (sorry bout the CAPS but too lazy to fix them..):D

nc0987 wrote: »
    i know what ur saying but nothing else on the arts course really interests me ANY SUGGESTIONS ON SOMETHING THAT WOULD GO WELL WITH PSYCHOLOGHY AND GIVE ME A bit of a break at the same time?
    (sorry bout the CAPS but too lazy to fix them..):D

when you think of it you better not do that just in case you don't get into second year only 30 people get in to it in second year after all . so pick you subjects that you like . +++ You have to pass all subjects in first year and get a one of the 30th places into second year psychology . After all you have 3 weeks to go to all the subject that your are interested in . that what the said at NUI Maynooth of the Arts said on the open day .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭nc0987

Woop_01 wrote: »
    when you think of it you better not do that just in case you don't get into second year only 30 people get in to it in second year after all . so pick you subjects that you like . +++ You have to pass all subjects in first year and get a one of the 30th places into second year psychology . After all you have 3 weeks to go to all the subject that your are interested in . that what the said at NUI Maynooth of the Arts said on the open day .

oh no, but psychology is the one i want!!! i know about the 30 places but i work hard when i put my mind to it. :oi want to do it in arts because i dont just want to do psychology.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Anthro is fine 'til you start to get reeeeeeeeeeeeally lazy.

Woop_01 wrote: »
    Yes at last !! , well I’m a LC student and thinking of studying in Maynooth it looks great !! . But I find Psychology very appealing to study and particularly developmental psychology and Cognitive
    Psychology I have read books on it . And got a book on statistical for psychology ... ok the maths are ok ... maybe a lot easier If someone showed me how to them . I hate maths so much !! . some maths I like ok lol :D . But in your first year do you do more maths than any other subjects in psychology ??? which subject do you study the most in psychology ?? . Do you have to study parts of the Brain yet ??? . So what’s the teaching like really ??? . And I was thinking of studying History , Economics , Psychology . But a big no for history its on the same time as psychology . Psychology will all ways be my first choice . But I was thinking of studying Spanish . I love the country . But is it hard to learn ... Did you do it in school . I'm sorry I’m my questions are all mixed up . its just what comes into my head . I was think of studying Spanish . with economics, psychology . is Spanish a good choice in first year of someone new. sorry sorry for so much questions . Is psychology hard in first year ?? . Is Spanish hard ??? :)

Sorry for the delay in answering!

In first year you do more stats than any other area yes. In semester one you do 4 lectures on biological psychology (how the brain works more or less...), 8 on developmental psychology - that's ps101, 12 on stats - ps104, then you do I think 4 lectures on "conceptual & experimental" psychology, that teaches you how to carry out experiments and then you do 2 practicals with support classes for each and you have a few free classes to "give you time to write your report" - ps103. Next semester we're doing ps102 instead of ps 101 which is cognitive I think :)

But not all stats is maths! you only really start getting into the maths around lecture 9? There's a lot of definitions and new terms etc you have to learn...

The teaching is really good! All the lecturers are interesting and pretty friendly and have a few hours each week that you can go to see them in if you like :)

I learned Spanish in school, so I dunno what it'd be like from scratch... but as noodlehead said it's mostly continuous assesment so i'd imagine it's not hard to pass :)

As for whether it's hard or not... Well, it can be hard to get your head around some things, and since you have a lot less guidance than when you're in school, writing essays and such can be daunting as you're not sure exactly what you should be writing :P But they try to help you as much as they can :) there's tutorials and a stats support class so they should help if you've any difficulties.

Anyway it seems like you're really into psychology so I'd say you should go for it :)

But yeah, it's fairly comptetitive alright... so you'd want to keep up on your work and give your best effort in everything :)

As for other subjects... Well I'm loving philosophy and the work load is ok so far :) And the good thing about spanish is that you won't have any exams at christmas so it's less to worry about and you can focus on your psych exam :p (there's just one at christmas on bio + developmental)

hope that helped :)

Sorry for the delay in answering!

In first year you do more stats than any other area yes. In semester one you do 4 lectures on biological psychology (how the brain works more or less...), 8 on developmental psychology - that's ps101, 12 on stats - ps104, then you do I think 4 lectures on "conceptual & experimental" psychology, that teaches you how to carry out experiments and then you do 2 practicals with support classes for each and you have a few free classes to "give you time to write your report" - ps103. Next semester we're doing ps102 instead of ps 101 which is cognitive I think :)

But not all stats is maths! you only really start getting into the maths around lecture 9? There's a lot of definitions and new terms etc you have to learn...

The teaching is really good! All the lecturers are interesting and pretty friendly and have a few hours each week that you can go to see them in if you like :)

I learned Spanish in school, so I dunno what it'd be like from scratch... but as noodlehead said it's mostly continuous assesment so i'd imagine it's not hard to pass :)

As for whether it's hard or not... Well, it can be hard to get your head around some things, and since you have a lot less guidance than when you're in school, writing essays and such can be daunting as you're not sure exactly what you should be writing :P But they try to help you as much as they can :) there's tutorials and a stats support class so they should help if you've any difficulties.

Anyway it seems like you're really into psychology so I'd say you should go for it :)

But yeah, it's fairly comptetitive alright... so you'd want to keep up on your work and give your best effort in everything :)

As for other subjects... Well I'm loving philosophy and the work load is ok so far :) And the good thing about spanish is that you won't have any exams at christmas so it's less to worry about and you can focus on your psych exam :p (there's just one at christmas on bio + developmental)

hope that helped :)

Sounds immense but better than I thought yeah !! … . Thanks for the help really appreciated it . Can’t wait to get studying it at NUI Maynooth . The place looks great lots of history to it as well. Thanks again really appreciated it . :D:)

nc0987 wrote: »
    oh no, but psychology is the one i want!!! i know about the 30 places but i work hard when i put my mind to it. :oi want to do it in arts because i dont just want to do psychology.

Were on the same boat it looks like :D:D;)

Good luck you guys ^.^ I'd advise you to try and get into the mh106 stream... it'll take a lot of pressure off you for the year :)

But you might be happy to hear that our class size has GREATLY reduced since the first few weeks... a lot of people don't really know what they're signing up for and tend to hate it... but there's also those who love it :) But yeah... massive loss of people :p

Oh what do you do when its laboratory class in psychology ?? And the language lab what happens ???

Lab class is experiments... For example the first one is on change blindness so you do the experiment and they talk you through how to write it up etc, it's not like school experiments, they should be about 2500+ words describing relevant research and why you're doing it and what you predict will happen and describing your data... etc...

The language labs are basically tape work :D

Lab class is experiments... For example the first one is on change blindness so you do the experiment and they talk you through how to write it up etc, it's not like school experiments, they should be about 2500+ words describing relevant research and why you're doing it and what you predict will happen and describing your data... etc...

The language labs are basically tape work :D

Oh is it hard ???? , thanks :)

Advertisement