Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling my car privately - Dont know its value

Options
  • 29-11-2007 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭

I am buying a car at the weekend, so I've a problem with what to do with my current car. The garage only offered me €800 for it, but I think its worth more. Its a 1998 Clio (old model) with power steering, electric windows, cd player and with 93500 miles and taxed until april 2008. The salesman in the garage said that the fact that the NCT is up in February is going against me. I paid €1600 for it during the summer, and I cant see how the value has halved seeing as I only drive it to and from work. So what should I be looking for if I go to sell it privately?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

check carzone for similar cars

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

AFAIK you can take the NCT test up to three months before it's due (ref) so you might consider doing that.
    I would imagine most buyers would be reluctant to buy a car with an NCT due shortly after purchase but would feel more reassured if the car had recently passed its NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

DeepBlue wrote: »
    AFAIK you can take the NCT test up to three months before it's due

Good advice. With a full 27(!) month NCT you should have no problem selling your car for damn near what you paid for it last summer

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Get it NCT'd and sell it privately, cheapish small cars are always in demand especially with learner drivers. Then go back to the dealer and haggle a straight deal price for the newer car.

The dealer is doing you no favour here. He is only giving you below trade value for it as he will probably offload it to the trade. Large dealers usually do not keep cars of this age or value in stock as they take up valuable space. They sell them on to smaller dealers at trade price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

that price is about right
    I helped a friend buy a 97 clio with the sames features and similar mileage for €800 in the summer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bazz26 wrote: »
    The dealer is doing you no favour here. He is only giving you below trade value for it as he will probably offload it to the trade. Large dealers usually do not keep cars of this age or value in stock as they take up valuable space. They sell them on to smaller dealers at trade price.

What do you think the trade value of a 10 year old Clio is?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What do you think the trade value of a 10 year old Clio is?

A little bit more than €800 I would image.

Imo I think there is no financial benefit to the OP of trading a car of this age or value in against another one. A straight deal would work out better imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

If you get a new NCT you might get 1000-1200 for it (quick sale).

Advertisement