Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the chances she come back?

Options
  • 29-11-2007 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Somebody either took my dog or kids might have let her out. She was out my back and some one must have climbed over side gate.:mad:

She is collie x v active and nearly a year old anyone one know what the chance of her making her way home? (assuming she was let out)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'd be proactive and start making posters and looking for her quick.

You'll also need to call the local garda station, the pounds, local vet surgeries and any rescues in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

:(ive done all the above havent heard anything back though wouldnt mind but she was ID but her collar broke when was walking her the other night now has no ID

Well the longer she is missing, the less likely she will come back of her own accord.

Post a message up on www.lostandfound.ie and www.petsireland.invisionzone.com
    Keep an eye on all the pounds near by, not just the one in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Has she come back? or how long is she gone now?

No ot back. trying to make sense of it all why would someone take/let her out. Not as if she noisy or a pedigree. After thinking of it couldnt have been kids coz i never went to bed that night 1230 and she was there soon b4. here hoping she safe n not hurt somewhere. She gone frome yesterday morn or night b4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Unless you go looking for her, she's unlikely to come back.

If she's stolen - and it's not always pedigree dogs that are stolen - you can wave her goodbye. But she may have just got out when someone left the gate open, and got lost.

Was she wearing a collar with a tag with her name and your phone number? Is she microchipped?

Here's a few things you can do:

Visit (don't phone) the pounds and shelters. (I think there's a list in a sticky at the top of the Animals & Pet Issues lists.) Leave a poster in each one, with her picture and your phone number. Keep visiting every four days. (In theory, the surplus animals are destroyed every five days, though often they aren't even kept that long.)

Put up *big* fluorescent-backed posters, which should have "LOST DOG" in *huge* letters, and a good big photo of her, and the information of where she was - "Missing from Wilfrid Street since Monday November 26" - and "Please phone xxx (your mobile number) if you find her" and "Beloved family pet".

Put them up at crossroads - passers-by will see them there, and if a driver picked up a lost dog, that driver may see the poster and recognise her.

Give them to teachers in your local schools and ask for them to be put on a noticeboard, because kids are more observant than adults. Give them to your local garda stations.

Check in parks (ask the park wardens), any empty fields and cemeteries near you - these are places where lost animals hide.

Or you could hire the Pet Detective (http://www.happytailsdetective.com/) - though he doesn't deal with *stolen* animals.

Oh yeah, forgot about vets, too - put up posters in your local vets (not just the one you go to).

Is she spayed? If not, she may have gone on heat and been pursued by a throng of hopeful suitors - in which case you can ask local dog owners, gardai, taxi drivers and so on if they've seen dogs flocking, and you may find her nearby.

Don't give up hope. A lot of dogs are picked up by people who keep them or bring them to pounds or shelters - and people who pick up a scared-seeming, disoriented dog often don't go looking too hard for the owner because they assume the animal's been abused. If they see a poster, they may change their mind and contact you.

:( Still no sign of her. No way the gate was left open as she prob the only one who used it bins are at the side of house. Somebody definately climbed over to open it. Put up posters but hed no pics of her. She spayed so wasnt that. Although she hadnt got her ID on (the little thing broke to attach it only last week) her collar v distinctive and she has v distinctive markings. Wouldn't even care if someone took her as long as i knew she safe and not abused! It's mad how much you can miss a dog!

Thank very much to you all for all your advice.

Check the pounds and shelters - they're the most likely place to find her. And don't give up hope - a friend of mine met her old dog on a bus two years after the dog went missing, and the dog went crazy licking her and wagging her tail. Kids who had her said they'd had her since a pup! My friend brought her home, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

OP was it a bolt type gate? if someone had to climb over the gate in order to open it could they close it from the outside? I can't see a dog thief closing the gate again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

Our dog went missing some time back. We searched the roads and ditches around town for over a week and were giving up hope. (This was some years ago when we didn't have the money or technology to print posters of her). One day my husband was talking to a man from out the country and mentioned about our dog going missing. He said he knew of a family that had found a dog wandering and had taken it in. My husband went there and it was our dog, they had found her wandering about 6 miles from our house and taken her in and looked after her.

I hope you have as happy an ending as we had, it broke our hearts too at the time when we couldn't find her or didn't have a clue what had happened to her so I can understand you saying you just want to know she's safe.

Yeah, I hope you get your dog back, Undecided.

One thing I've done whenever a cat went missing, by the way, is to walk around the neighbourhood in the early hours of the morning, calling the cat's name and giving the particular two-stroke whistle I use to call my cats.

Pretty embarrassing when I first moved in here and was observed by the neighbours peering into their gardens and crying "Pernod! Pernod! Pernod!"

Since it's a dog that you've lost, you might try doing the same on a bicycle, as dogs move faster and can hear you from further. Get a map of your neighbourhood and look for parks and graveyards and other green spaces.

Where do you live, by the way?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

Hi all

Just to let you know I got her back safe and sound! Im delighted and relieved. Somebody had found her and took her in thank god. Pity she cant talk to tell me who opened the gate...I'd love to know. Bad luck to who ever did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 cr1272

Aw, that's great :)

good news... glad she's safe

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Yay!!!!
    Great news! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

So happy for you :) Great news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

BTW might want to consider giving a box of Roses/a gift of some description to the person who took her in, for Christmas like! Just an idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

How did you manage to find your dog? It is important to have all dogs chipped & tagged just in case.

Glad it was a happy ending. :)

DaveMcG wrote: »
    BTW might want to consider giving a box of Roses/a gift of some description to the person who took her in, for Christmas like! Just an idea

Gave hime Tin sweets and few bob. Fair play to the young fella was only about 20 found her while doing a mixer in the area and took her home about 30mins away!

She came back with a few bad habits though shes had a few "accidents" and she keeps biting the legs of the chairs!:confused: Never had these problems before anyone any ideas?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Shes probably a bit traumatised after getting lost. It can be really traumatic for dogs to get lost and be away from their usual surroundings. Hopefully she'll settle down again in a few days. Also if she's peeing and drinking a lot, dont rule out a kidney infection.
    If it continues you might have to bring her to the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

So glad to hear you have your dog back! Please do invest in microchipping your dog! If another family had found her and wanted to keep her, you could have a very hard time, or it could even be impossible, to prove she was yours. Your local vet can do this for €45 max, or some SPCA centres may do it for less.

45 euro is that all thought it was way more than that! Had her spayed 2mnths ago cost 140 n was goin 2 get it done as well but thought it was alot dearer. Will b getting her done in the new yr!

Oh, pity you didn't get her chipped when she was spayed - it's cheaper if they do it at the same time, usually.

Great that you got her back, excellent! :) Fair play to the decent person who brought her in.

Incidentally, I found a dog the other night and brought her home. She had a tag on her collar with "Pettrace", a phone number and a registration number. Rang it but there was no answer; rang it again in the morning and got the DSPCA or ISPCA, and they said they'd contact the owner.

The owner turned out to live around the corner - he'd come back late and felt too tired to bring his dog (a beautiful lurcher) for a walk, so he let her out, and I met her at the other end of the traffic-heavy road that crosses his. ("Would you hang on to her till mid-morning? I'm still really tired," he said...)

Anyway, I met another guy with a dog today, who said his dog had a Pettrace tag as well, and the pound had insisted that this be on her collar and that she be chipped when he got her there.

So if you get a microchip (which will be registered at www.fido.ie), you might also think about registering her with Pettrace, Undecided.

Have you put a padlock on the side gate since?

Thanks a mill luckat your a goldmine of info! wiil look into that later! Got a big paddlock for the gate as soon as I got her back! really considered putting a load of nails or something along the top to teach the swine a lesson if they tried it again!:)

undecided wrote: »
    really considered putting a load of nails or something along the top to teach the swine a lesson if they tried it again!:)

Isn't that illegal? But hopefully the padlock should do the trick.

I wasn't serious luckat! I think the paddlock will suffice:)

Advertisement