Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I run in cycle lanes

Options
  • 29-11-2007 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭

Yay or nay?
    I used to be into my cycling and people in my beloved cycle lane used to piss me right off. I have now taking up jogging a couple of nights a week and have to admit the surface on the cycle lane is much better then the pavement beside it.

Should I be banished or can we allow are jogging brothers into the lanes since no real cyclist really uses them for training hence I feel I would not be slowing anyone down.

Comments

If it's a separate lane, then go ahead but I'll ring my bell at you if I'm near you :)

If it's by a road, I don't think it's a good idea, but if you insist, wear the high visibility stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

RasTa wrote: »
    Should I be banished or can we allow are jogging brothers into the lanes since no real cyclist really uses them for training hence I feel I would not be slowing anyone down.
    No, you shouldn't, it's against the law.

You wouldn't drive in a bus lane, would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

if you insist. And I'd probably prefer you didn't, then run against the flow, and move well out of the way in good time if someone's cycling against you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

The thing is, joggers are out there jogging to nowhere in particular, for exercise or whatever, whereas the cyclist is actually trying to get somewhere. It's no good to be getting in peoples way when they're trying to get somewhere y'know?

No one can stop you from doing it all the same, and I appreciate that jogging on tarmac is better than jogging on the footpath.
    Wear hi viz at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

im in the same boat,......get a better pair of runners and pound the pavement.
    its dangerous tbh,a cyclist doesnt have the luxury of a headlight, so wont see you a easy as a car.
    believe me, if your hit by a bike, you wont be running for a good while, lets say 100kg hurtling along at 10-20mph??? thats a heavy impact, especially hen sandwiched between metal(mostly bars) and pavement.:eek:

even a hi vis, needs light to reflect off it, and lets face it, cycle lanes are fairly poorly lit.

i run too and i stay on the pavement.

• Advertisement

No one can stop you from doing it all the same,
    The Gardai or a fast moving cyclist can. From my experience, runners on cycle tracks don't even look out for cyclists, and the language from them when asked to move out of the way really lets them down.

Runners must use a footpath where one is provided. That's the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I will answer with a question: I think I will start using the ladies toilet at work. I know I shouldn't but I suspect it will be much more fun than using the gent's.

On top of that, chances are the rim will be always dry.

Should I be told something by HHRR...? :p

gzoladz wrote: »
    I will answer with a question: I think I will start using the ladies toilet at work. I know I shouldn't but I suspect it will be much more fun than using the gent's.

On top of that, chances are the rim will be always dry.

Should I be told something by HHRR...? :p

and sure womens **** dont stink, unless its of roses:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

nay. for all the reasons above and more.

and what do you mean by "real cyclist"? being on a bike isn't enough?

niceonetom wrote: »

no you actually have to be a physical object, he sees ghost cyclist when out at night by the abandoned house:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

kona wrote: »
    im in the same boat,......get a better pair of runners and pound the pavement.
    its dangerous tbh,a cyclist doesnt have the luxury of a headlight, so wont see you a easy as a car.
    believe me, if your hit by a bike, you wont be running for a good while, lets say 100kg hurtling along at 10-20mph??? thats a heavy impact, especially hen sandwiched between metal(mostly bars) and pavement.:eek:

even a hi vis, needs light to reflect off it, and lets face it, cycle lanes are fairly poorly lit.

i run too and i stay on the pavement.

I actually managed to hit a jogger by accident one night coming home from knocklyon. It was in an area where the lights are covered by trees. To make matters worse it was drizzling rain. I was coming down the hill at just under 40km/h (speed clock). He was on the footpath but must have stepped out at last minute without looking. Thankfully there were no cars behind because i went A*se over head into the middle of the road. After some cursing from both of us he mumbled something and walked off. There isn't even a cycle lane on this road. It was just a road and pathway. not exactly the same thing as jogging in a cycle lane but still...

niceonetom wrote: »

Didn't notice this.....what is a real cyclist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

My guess is it would be acceptable if you wear hi-visability and run in the very left of the lane. That would show you are considerate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

By real cyclist I meant someone in training not just a commuter who can easily swerve to avoid me where as someone in training would have to alter his rhythm but in saying that most people I see flying around on road bikes are on the road anyway. Interesting responses so far, seems to be a bit of a mixed bag + the usual smartarses. I run around the D15 cycle lanes in Carpenterstown and Clonsilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

How do you feel about people cycling in footpaths?

kincsem wrote: »
    My guess is it would be acceptable if you wear hi-visability and run in the very left of the lane. That would show you are considerate.
    No that just makes you a law-breaker wearing a hi-vis jacket. If it were acceptable, it wouldn't be against the law.
    "RasTa wrote:
    I run around the D15 cycle lanes in Carpenterstown and Clonsilla.
    When you drive, do you use bus lanes when you shouldn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Are the cycle lanes on road or off road?

If they are off road, then I wouldn't be too bothered as long as they aren't heavily used lanes and you give right of way to the cyclist.

If they are on road, then it's probably not the best thing for your own safety. I wouldn't leave it to chance and simply trust anyone on a bike to see me. Also, there's plenty of fools out there without lights that you might not see. In the vast majority of circumstances you and a cyclist would probably easily avoid each other, but it will be messy when you get that one time that you don't.

I've seen commuters going quite fast, so not everyone can easily swerve to avoid someone in the cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Make sure at least to run contra-flow. If the cycle-lane is on the road, you have the possibility of cars using it for whatever reason, passing a car on the inside or whatever. High-vis at night is pretty essential for everyone on the roads this time of year.

That said, I've no probelm with joggers in cycle-lanes personally

By real cyclist I meant someone in training not just a commuter who can easily swerve to avoid me where as someone in training would have to alter his rhythm

Utterly ridiculous.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

a cyclist is a cyclist is a cyclist...if your on a bike your a bloody cyclist and if there's some muppet in your way on a cycle lane then that muppet is in the wrong full stop and not open to discussion, its like saying only real pedestrians are the one's that walk everywhere and not the one's that just walk from there car to there house...as such you should treat them differently.

stupid stupid comments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

I find the biggest danger are those joggers with ipods as they tend to be completely oblivious to whats going on around them and often just step out in front of cyclists. Mind you, I've seen similar behaviour from cyclists with ipods - cycling around Dublin is tricky enough as it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Cabaal wrote: »
    a cyclist is a cyclist is a cyclist...if your on a bike your a bloody cyclist and if there's some muppet in your way on a cycle lane then that muppet is in the wrong full stop and not open to discussion, its like saying only real pedestrians are the one's that walk everywhere and not the one's that just walk from there car to there house...as such you should treat them differently.

stupid stupid comments

I agree - a footpath is for people on foot be they walking or jogging, a cyle lane is for people on bikes. Would have thought that it was very straight forward .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭light123

Sure jog or cycle where ever the heck you like ...

I'll just start driving all over the path , not!

Please do not run anywhere on a road. It is extremely dangerous and I would consider foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

By real cyclist I meant someone in training not just a commuter who can easily swerve to avoid me where as someone in training would have to alter his rhythm but in saying that most people I see flying around on road bikes are on the road anyway. Interesting responses so far, seems to be a bit of a mixed bag + the usual smartarses. I run around the D15 cycle lanes in Carpenterstown and Clonsilla.

If anything you should be making more way for commuters. It might be somebody not especially fit lugging a cast iron frame about to whom any swerve would mean considerable discomfort trying to get back up to speed. Whereas a cylist in training would barely notice the physical demands of an altered rhythm.

As others have said, a cyclist is a person who cycles. No "real" about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i suggest you should run in the road, there are almost no "real" motorists using it, only people trying to get to where they need to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Personally I don't mind joggers on off-road cycle lanes if they are considerate and careful, run contra-flow and get out of the way when they see a cyclist.* Jogging on an on-road lane is insane however.

*I do mind if, as is common, they do none of these things.

tiocfaidh an lana????

i see you are one of these republican pro-gaeilge people.

how bout you tiocfaidh an car bumper?? feckin amadain:D

how bout you tiocfaidh an car bumper??

Eww, are you grooming me? I'm not into car pr0n.

Really though, I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Eww, are you grooming me? I'm not into car pr0n.

Really though, I don't understand what you're trying to say.

mix up lead to a crossing of wires which led to me having a brain fart(its not uncommon either:o:D)sorry random boards.ie torrets moment excuse my ignorance!!!:D:o

that and the fact my grasp of irish, is crap...i know more polish!!!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

that and the fact my grasp of irish, is crap...i know more polish!!!
    Luckily, "bicycle" is the same in both.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement