Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I run in cycle lanes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

rp wrote: »
    Luckily, "bicycle" is the same in both.

rothar is that bike in irish and polish??? god shows when the last time i saw irish was:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hmmmmm why can't you all just use the road and stick a cycle lane in there as opposed to cycling on the path beside us pedestrians who are either running or walking.

RasTa wrote: »
    Hmmmmm why can't you all just use the road and stick a cycle lane in there as opposed to cycling on the path beside us pedestrians who are either running or walking.

why dont YOU walk on the road:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭gimmeaminute

kona wrote: »
    why dont YOU walk on the road:rolleyes:

Oh, why can't we all just get along?

Except for motorists, they should be shot. Or banned. Or banned and shot.

Will a smiley stop this comment from being heavily moderated?:eek:

Oh, why can't we all just get along?

Except for motorists, they should be shot. Or banned. Or banned and shot.

Will a smiley stop this comment from being heavily moderated?:eek:

no i think not all motorist, (ive a car lol) i think people who drive jeeps should be shot in the knees then ran over multiple times with a jeep...........actually id say that goes for 75% of taxi drivers too, god can you believe some of them actually built the roads, bare handed, and they were nice enough to let the rest of use use the roads:rolleyes::rolleyes::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Because it's illegal to do so if there is a cycle lane on the path.

I agree with you though, cycle lanes on footpaths are inherently unsafe for all concerned and personally I would prefer to use the road in almost all such cases. Most cyclists hate cycle lanes but we are forced to use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

niceonetom wrote: »
    i suggest you should run in the road, there are almost no "real" motorists using it, only people trying to get to where they need to be.

nice one, niceonetom.

Are you trying to wind people up? It's a bit inconvenient for me sometimes but I've no problem with joggers - they clip along at about 8mph or more and they're like slow commuters. As for power walkers who think they need a fast lane :mad:

As you should know we can't just stick a cycle lane on the road as we don't have the authority. I too would like the roads to become cycle lanes (in the city) with access for emergency vehicles, disabled access (15kmph speed limit) and two hours a day for commercial deliveries (15kmph speed limit).
    However, the majority of our citizens do not share this self-serving dream. Joggers and cyclists would still be in competition though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

You mean you don't know?:eek:

Cycle tracks were put on footpaths so as to make more room on the roads for motorists. Laws were passed forcing cyclists to use them.

Yeah my last comment was tounge in cheek and so was some of my first. End result is I still think I'm going to run in the cycle lane and if anyone gives out to me I shall punch them in the mouth.

Tomas_V wrote: »
    You mean you don't know?:eek:

Laws were passed forcing cyclists to use them.

Is that true? because I almost came to blows with a taxi driver in the summer who overtook me at about 50mph in a bus lane, beeped his horn and missed me by about an inch. His reason was, that I should not of being using the "taxi" lane when there was a cycle lane right beside it that I should of being in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I would say the one thing you sure shouldn't do is to drop into the cycle-lane (on the road) to get past a load of people on the footpath without checking to see if I'm cycling in the lane.

I'll try and brake and what not, but brother I'm going to crash into you instead of swinging out to the right in front of whatever might be speeding along in the car lane. Dunno about the rest of them, but I'll take my chances on the soft jogger instead of the bus bumper.

Is that true?
    Unfortunately it is. It is in a statutory instrument passed in 1997. Because it was an SI, it got passed on the say-so of the minister & didn't need to be debated in the Dail.

Cycling groups have been trying to get it repealed for years.

But many cycle tracks don't comply with the law & you'd probably get the case dismissed if you were prosecuted for ignoring one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

kona wrote: »
    im in the same boat,......get a better pair of runners and pound the pavement.
    its dangerous tbh,a cyclist doesnt have the luxury of a headlight, so wont see you a easy as a car.

You are meant to have lights on your bike and they should be seeing pedstians and other things in your way not just for being seen yourself.

The majority of cycle lanes in D15 are not on the road but the halved the footpath and made half of them a cycle lane.
    This to my mind is bloody dangerous to all on the path/cycle lane.
    Really do they idiots that plan these things think cyclists only go 5 miles per hour ?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Thaedydal wrote: »
    You are meant to have lights on your bike and they should be seeing pedstians and other things in your way not just for being seen yourself.

the lights you are required to have are purely to be seen. they only emit enough light for about a foot ahead of you. It costs hundreds for any kind of light that emits enough to see by..

Thaedydal wrote: »
    The majority of cycle lanes in D15 are not on the road but the halved the footpath and made half of them a cycle lane. This to my mind is bloody dangerous to all on the path/cycle lane.Really do they idiots that plan these things think cyclists only go 5 miles per hour ?
    It's an Irish solution. Pretend facilities are created and politicians pretend it's a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Is that true? because I almost came to blows with a taxi driver in the summer who overtook me at about 50mph in a bus lane, beeped his horn and missed me by about an inch. His reason was, that I should not of being using the "taxi" lane when there was a cycle lane right beside it that I should of being in.

so you do use the cycle lane when you're on foot, but not when you're on the bike. right. i didn't realise that being in the way could become a hobby.

Well I cycle pretty fast and this stretch of road was full of people leaving work like myself so it was safer to go on the road.

Well I cycle pretty fast and this stretch of road was full of people leaving work like myself so it was safer to go on the road.

yes, don't you just hate it when pedestrians are in the way. now how sis this thread start again.....?

Hmm you're taking my original question way out of context and trying to make a totally different point. I'm talking about a single person jogging in a cycle lane which isn't comparable to groups of people in a cycle lane leaving work. Try and come up with another smart ass noise answer or make a valid point about joggers not using cycle lanes. Oh and don't forget to think before you type, bit of common sense never hurt anyone.

Ultimately you are entirely right though, off-road cycle lanes are actually more suited to and safer for joggers than they are for cyclists. If you have something that looks like a footpath, quacks like a footpath, pedestrians/joggers will use it, and I don't blame them. Bikes belong on the road.

• Advertisement

I'm talking about a single person jogging in a cycle lane which isn't comparable to groups of people in a cycle lane leaving work.
    Its starts with just one person breaking the law, then pretty soon everyone is doing their own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

There is a runner that I regularly see on my commute home through Milltown/Dundrum. On at least three occasions, he has been running on the road, outside of a line of parked cars, presumably to avoid other pedestrians on the pavement. He's quite a gangly guy, so when I roared at him from the bike about taking my space, he jumped and waved his arms like a windmill before moving back to the path.

The funny think is he could take a nice quiet off-road route along by the Dodder and/or through Columbanus, but he seems to prefer the main roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

For indiviuals like this, please refer to the following thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055161171

The funny think is he could take a nice quiet off-road route along by the Dodder and/or through Columbanus, but he seems to prefer the main roads.
    Along the seafront road at Clontarf, there's no less than three footpaths and some beautiful grass verges to choose from, all in good condition. The runners choice?: the cycle track. They get a real thrill out of dressing in black and running around the blind, unlit corners on the cycle track at the back of the car park near Vernon Avenue.

I think its some kind of "Laws are for losers." attitude. No doubt these same runners drive in bus lanes & complain about cyclists with no lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

blorg wrote: »
    Ultimately you are entirely right though, off-road cycle lanes are actually more suited to and safer for joggers than they are for cyclists. If you have something that looks like a footpath, quacks like a footpath, pedestrians/joggers will use it, and I don't blame them. Bikes belong on the road.

Hell yeah. More bike lanes and less of these crappy 'paths' that cut through bus stop crowds, driveways and foot space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Along the seafront road at Clontarf, there's no less than three footpaths and some beautiful grass verges to choose from, all in good condition. The runners choice?: the cycle track. They get a real thrill out of dressing in black and running around the blind, unlit corners on the cycle track at the back of the car park near Vernon Avenue.

I know this area well and to be fair, for every runner in the cycle lane (or worse rollerbladders :mad:) there are cyclists on the promenade which is clearly marked for pedestrains only.
    It's a not case of people being confused, it's just a conscious decision to ignore the rules. After all, the promenade and the cycle lane are about 30 metres apart so how do some cyclists and some pedestrians mix them up?:confused:
    Another example is the new bridge by the IFSC is not for cyclists but who here gets off and pushes their bike across?

Meh, no matter where you go people will ignore rules so no point getting stressed over it. If they are a danger to you then shout abuse and hit them if neccesary but this problem is never going away

micmclo wrote: »
    Meh, no matter where you go people will ignore rules so no point getting stressed over it. If they are a danger to you then shout abuse and hit them if neccesary but this problem is never going away
    These two statements seem quite contradictory. And, I don't agree with not doing anything about the problem. Attacking runners, no matter how inconsiderate, will solve nothing.

Persistently and politely reminding them of the need to behave in a socially acceptable fashion (i.e. by respecting the law) is the only way.

But I think the main point of this thread is that the runner who started it thinks that the use of cycle tracks by runners is negotiable. It isn't.

In fairness, I think the footpaths are concrete, while the cycle track is tarmac; this is probably why they run on it. And again, I don't mind if they are considerate.

Agreed on the danger around that carpark; and I've actually even been assaulted by a jogger on that path before after asking them to keep to one side.

Hmm you're taking my original question way out of context and trying to make a totally different point. I'm talking about a single person jogging in a cycle lane which isn't comparable to groups of people in a cycle lane leaving work. Try and come up with another smart ass noise answer or make a valid point about joggers not using cycle lanes. Oh and don't forget to think before you type, bit of common sense never hurt anyone.

right. you may think i'm a smart-arse but i'm fairly sure you're a hypocrite. imo you can't start a thread about how you, as a pedestrian, think it's acceptable to use the cycle lane and then go on to complain about pedestrians in the cycle lane without expecting to be called on it. and yes, joggers are pedestrians.

whether cycle-lanes should ever be on the pavement as opposed to the road is a separate issue and not relevant to the original post.

my position is that the only way to gain any respect for the concept of cycle-lanes is to have a zero compromise attitude: if you're not on a bike, stay out. once we say it's acceptable for a lone jogger we open the door to the abuse of the lane, leaving cyclists in the position where the cycle lane is unsafe to use due to pedestrians, and it is illegal to use the road where a cycle-lane is provided.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Yeah my last comment was tounge in cheek and so was some of my first. End result is I still think I'm going to run in the cycle lane and if anyone gives out to me I shall punch them in the mouth.

You don't strike me as being a particularly nice person.
    Perhaps if you put a smidgen of thought into what you're doing (you know, common sense), and perhaps stopped going around looking for and getting into fights, then you might find it easier to train in this city, which you apparently view as your own personal gigantic gym.

As I said, I doubt anyone can stop you from doing it, you seem quite intent on doing it, but your reasons for doing it are pretty stupid.
    And personally I've better things to be doing than having to a)avoid running over inconsiderate joggers and b) engage in fisticuffs with joggers who feel like they have to punch me in the mouth.

In short: stop trolling.

Your friend,
    B. Gadabout.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement