Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European DX Conference 2009

• 29-11-2007 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I plan to host EDXC 2009, a conference for DXers and Radio Stations to meet and discuss like minded interests. If you are interested please contact me via boards, for futher details.

I need help in persons to give lectures on pure voluntary basis.

DXers would be interested in hearing from anyone who was in involved in pirate and local radio, new techology such as DAB, DRM, and also possible visits to Radio Stations or transmitter sites...

Also IRISH DXers and SWL listeniners are welcome to attend !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Irish DXer's ???

What do you mean exactly?

How is DX associated with Pirate and local radio??

Or am I missing something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Maybe "foriegn" local radio and far away "pirates".

I've never had much tolerance of pirate radio and now with a Gazillion licenced local radio and cheap access to Satellite and Internet (no "licence" in traditional sense needed), I now have NO tolerance for Pirate Radio. Parasite Radio more like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 irishdxradio

Irish DXer's ???

What do you mean exactly?

How is DX associated with Pirate and local radio??

Or am I missing something!

DXer is the hobby of listening to radio stations other countries, sometimes DXers listen to pirate stations and collect QSL cards.

I have met DXers in other countries that have QSL cards from pirate radio stations here in Ireland..

DXers can also be listeners to normal programmes from SW stations, like BBC, Radio Netherlands that broadcast in English etc.

Oh I see what you mean; Short Wave Listeners (SWL) DX!!

I understand the QSL stuff but your wording is not clear as to what interest you are looking for... i.e European DX Conference..

Something like EU SWL Conference might be a bit clearer...

Sorry not my scene I am afraid, but the best of luck.

Xperimenter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

DXing pirate (or clandestine) stations is a lot more like "real" DX-ing because.

1) Most of them run very low power (tens/hundreds of watts as opposed to hundreds of kilowatts)
    2) Stations change name/frequency/location so often (not to mention getting raided and maybe reappearing) that identifying them can be more of as challenge than getting the frequency of the BBC world service off the internet (or even in an old book -some of them havent changed in decades) and tying it into a digital keypad.

Plus theres actually the opportunity to hear some programming that tries to be different long the way rather than statistics for tractor production in some backwater province of China (OK maybe Im being a bit unfair to mainstream DX'ers here but Im just using some extreme examples to get the point across)
    a Gazillion licenced local radio

In most parts of Ireland there is still only ONE local station

On paper there are Five (and a half) national stations but one of them is broadcast in a minority language two of the "music" stations are very similar in programme content

And while there is satellite and internet radio just try listening to either in your car, on a bus/train or at work !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Where I live I can get Kerry, Clare, limerick, Tipp, main local Radios. Plus Newcastle West community station.
    Also the Regional Hostpital & Mary I. very local stations.

Thats all just on a Discone. With a 6 element beam I'd bet you can get over 1/2 the local stations in the country on VHF.

I can get most of the above on portable with whip too.

On Car Radio I can get BBC Radio Devon during daytime on MW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

With a 6 element beam I'd bet you can get over 1/2 the local stations in the country on VHF

1) Not everyone lives in Limerick (or Dublin)
    2) Not everyone has a 6 element beam because quite frankly a satellite dish is more practical (and gets more/better stations) but using either with your car radio/walkman/radio at work is hardly feasable.
    3) If it wasnt for pirate radio you wouldnt even have the "gazillion stations" you reckon we all have. There would still be be just one (part time) national station and three UK ones on the East coast

Is this about illegal broadcast radio???

It's not rocket science to pick up broadcast radio stations!

Outside antenna and some proper cable! plus alot of free time!

I prefer listening to my own tunes in the car!

What pirate stations are you talking about, do you have frequencies??

I will have a listen and give you my opinion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Antenna

I have found a website for EDXC:
    http://www.edxc.org/
    The original poster would have given more credibility to the posting if a link to the website was included as well- just some constructive critisim :)
    do you have frequencies??

I'd imagine it mainly related to the ones that operate on HF (usually on Sundays only) - usually between 6200 and 6400 kHz (using AM) - some of these have been heard in North America (see www.worldofradio.com etc)

Advertisement