Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

L.E.D. Array

• 29-11-2007 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭

alright, time to abuse your knowledge for my own gain :D

i'm wondering how easy/difficult it would be to make an LED array (say 3x3 or 5x5) that i can then run into my PC or an LED controller (if such a thing exists) that i can program to show various patterns. for example, a smiley face switching to a space invader guy.

if i can do this the idea is to program it into a winamp plug-in type of thing, just running through pre-programmed array structures (smiley faces et al).

i have the theory down alright, i've just no idea if it can be done, or if it's out of my league. i'm assuming maplin's sell the type of devices i need...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I'll leave the practical stuff to someone better qualified...

But, you'd be looking at a minimum resolution of 15*15 LEDs, I'd imagine, in order to end up with a usable image?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I'll leave the practical stuff to someone better qualified...

But, you'd be looking at a minimum resolution of 15*15 LEDs, I'd imagine, in order to end up with a usable image?

oh yeah i understand that i'll need to aim a lot higher then 5x5 to be proper, but i'd like to build a small one first so i know what i'm doing. trial and error etc. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Ah ok.

Nothing is impossible, let me do a bit of googling and see what's out there...

I remember something similiar was done with nixie tubes (think old LEDs-although they were in practise, completely different, and represented the numbers 1 thru 0 depending on the pins energised...)

Anyway I'm gone off on a tangent now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You're looking at multiplexing - that's easy, it's the programming which is difficult....
    Have a look at the datasheet for 74LS138 which is a 3 to 8 line decoder (€2).
    http://ece.colorado.edu/~mcclurel/sn74ls138rev5.pdf

With this and a 4x4 LED array for example, you can write to the lines in the array. For example, writing to row A, column 1, you'll get the top-left LED to light, writing to row B, column 1, you get the LED under A1 to light...

Then what you have to do is get the LED's in the array to light in a scanned fashion, giving the impression of a static image.

10-10-20 wrote: »
    that's easy, it's the programming which is difficult....

hopefully the whole college thing comes in handy then :D

if i manage to do a small one correct i may motion this idea as my final year project. whether it's applicable to an computer science style degree is another thing altogether...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

sounds complicated lads TBH.

anyway
    http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

is handy for the basic LED Arrays I use., but no where near useful for this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That wizard doesn't use the same array setup I'm thinking of... You're not lighting a row of LED's at a time, you are lighting one at a time, but you do it so quickly that it appears to be multiple.

Here... this is better...
    http://users.tpg.com.au/users/talking/Construction-Part1.html
    Ignore the PIC (16F84) as you are doing this at a lower level.

Look at the scan control transistors, they link into the second 74LS138 and are addressed via the binary input.

So, you would write to one '138 as the column controller, and the second '138 as the row controller.

thanks for all the info lads. when i get going on this i'll post some updates, let you know how i'm troubleshooting/programming. if i get to the finish line i'll post up the code for my winamp plug-in too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭LeBash

This can be done with a pre-programmed "DMX" system. Alot a good quaility LED manufactures make them. If you are going with basic white it will be no problem, if you want colours you need RGB LED's and not trying to mix them. I seen something simular to what your trying to do when i was doing OEM training on LED and lighting controls.
    If you can get your hands on the Osram corperate video you will see it done with DALI controls on an entire building. The DMX will do the same thing for LED, but because DMX will also dim LED's its an expensive enough piece of kit.
    Also, look into OLED, its a new technology that will replace LCD tv's the old OLED's if cheap enough would be perfect for that

Advertisement