Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eGun.de

Options
  • 29-11-2007 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone here ever used this site? They have a lot of tasty gear at a lot of tasty prices. Any experiences are much appreciated, and you may even find something which piques your own interest floating around.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Don't know much about it other than it being an eBay for guns. This can present difficulties because of the fact that you may be dealing with individuals who are not prepared to wait for you to get a licence and Article 7's and Import Licences etc.

The second problem is to do with shipping. It's a very difficult proposition to ship a firearm in Europe unless you are already set up for it. Some countries are so expensive to ship from that you would find it cheaper to fly there and collect (I jest not).

That's my take on it, others may have had different experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Was directed to it, seems really good but i'm not sure about buying anything i need a cert for from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Some of the prices are so low you could pretty much justify flying over to collect and it'd still be a good price. If I could find a seller who's prepared to wait for a licence, which by all accounts isn't too slow or too much hassle where I am, it could possibly be a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

rrpc wrote: »
    Some countries are so expensive to ship from that you would find it cheaper to fly there and collect (I jest not).

Who actually lets you put a firearm in the hold?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

kowloon wrote: »
    Who actually lets you put a firearm in the hold?
    Most airlines. People have to fly with guns all the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

I use Egun a good bit and never had any problems with sellers waiting for certs, permits, etc. You can get good bargains as well as over-priced stuff. Just like any other auction site. For live firearms the seller will apply for addendum 19 and re-registration of the firearm at his/her local authority while you get your A7 and a copy of your firearms cert for him/her. The Gardai need to issue you the firearms cert with the details of the firearm you purchased before it can be send over.

I bought my rifles from Egun and never had a problem with shipping from Germany and Austria to Ireland as long as you follow the rules laid out by all countries involved. It isn't really complicated but then I speak German so there are no communciation problems. Although you can get the main info on the Egun site in English it is not necessarily correctly translated.

For deacts the same applies but without the firearms cert and without re-registration in Germany, etc. You just need to explain to the seller that you have to wait for the A7 and once you got it you can scan it in and send via email to the seller. He/she will print it out and include it with the deacts.

Never had any problems with deacts from Germany or Austria. In fact, I am awaiting two Stens (MKII and MKIII) which I purchased on Egun recently and the seller had absolutely no problem waiting for the A7's.

Anye questions re: Egun just pm me. I'm more than happy to help out.

Best,
    Preusse

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

I've used it and would endorse what Preusse says. Buying second-hand items sight-unseen and distance buying from individuals usual caveat emptor considerations apply. If buying something that requires a FAC you should explain to the vendor there is liable to be a significant delay on documentation from your end, and have an agreement in advance as to what happens if your licence application is unsuccessful (e.g. he refunds your money less his re-listing fees).

Thanks very much Preusse, good to get positive feedback on it. I have my eye on a couple of rifles, and one in particular. Hopefully it'll go okay. Causing a pain in the ass to register though; every time I fill out the form and click to register it refreshes the page.

I always made a point of getting the details of the rifle I am going to bid on and ask my local firearms officer or Super if there would be any problems in getting a licence etc. before I actually started bidding on it. That saves a lot of hassle particularly as most sellers will not allow you to withdraw from the purchase after the auction is over. Always clear up any problems/questions beforehand. Make sure you will not encounter any problems regarding a licence when you start bidding. You are obliged to buy what you successfully bid on unless there is a problem with the product. Not knowing if you will actually get permission to own the item and/or import it after the auction closes does not exclude you from payment committments.

You also have to make sure that the seller actually ships outside his/her homecountry. Some sellers do and some don't, it usually says that in the auction text. Don't mix up the bid about European Addendum 19 information below the text which is not an agreement by the seller to send his firearm to another EU country but just information regarding the import/export licences put ther by Egun. Some people thought because it mentions Ad19 that the seller automatically ships outside his homecountry.

The local guards are decent enough about Firearms Certs it seems, already had a word with them, said there should be no problem. I've sourced one that seems to be fine as regards shipping abroad. All the other lefties were not too fond of the prospect, which was a pain in the ass.

this is the rifle in question: http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=de_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.egun.de%2fmarket%2fitem.php%3fid%3d1566656%26PHPSESSID%3d04d78f4d042e2de4e959f9936f161f51

• Advertisement

Ah yes, the babelfish translation ;) If you need specifics let me know and I'll try and translate it for you.

It may be helpful when approaching sellers about shipping to Ireland to let them know that you will provide all the necessary Irish documentation.

This one is a bit different. The German seller will not require your firearms cert as any air rifles and pistols are available at age 18 in Germany without a licence. The seller only needs your A7. It would be different for rimfire and centrefire firearms.

How does that work out for me though? I don't need to have a firearms cert to buy it, but on this end, how does it work? Have it shipped to a firearms dealer to be collected when my license is approved?

Well, I would just ask the seller if he would wait with shipping the item until you have all the required Irish documents ready. What I usually do is to sweeten the waiting time for the seller: as soon as I am successful in the auction I send the payment. All the sellers I have dealt with are then more than willing to wait until your documents are ready because they got the money and just have to wait for your go-ahead to ship the item.

Quite right, you don't need to have a FAC to buy an air rifle in Germany but you will need the FAC to import and take possession of it here in Ireland.

Yeah, I had thought about that, but on the offchance that they're unhappy with waiting, or even just for the security of not leaving the shipping until long after the rifle is paid for, would it be as convenient to have it shipped to a firearms dealer?

I'll probably follow the route you suggest, as it's obviously the most pleasant and carefree route. Hopefully it works out.

Might have a word with the boys in blue tomorrow and get their own slant on it. Hopefully they won't be slow with regard to granting the application.

Advertisement