Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Dot Net Framework Necessary?

• 29-11-2007 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've just reinstalled XP and installed SP2 from a SP2 file, separately to the XP install. Anyway, all seems fine, but for some reason, I installed Framework before, and I had the install shell and just wondering should I install it again? When I google, only info on programming comes up, which I don't do, at all. So I'm just wondering, for a normal user, surf, email, msn, pro evo etc, do I need to bother with it?

I also installed about 80 updates from windows updater so it all seems up to date.

I think I installed it before for a sound issue I was having on my old laptop, it didn't help it though.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well any application developed using the .net framework will need it installed for it to run. Applications using it will become more and more common. You may as well install it, it won't do the computer any harm and chances are sooner or later you will use an application that needs the .net framework to run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

you again? :D

Thanks for the info, I do recall, after installing it before, something with the login happened, I forget what, but it was pretty annoying.

The shell I have is the 1.1 package, I searched for a newer one, but they all seem to be named something to do with programming, is 1.1 the latest one or do I get the one aimed at programmers or what's the story? :)

By the way, I don't suppose you know why, after installing Klite mega pack, latest version, that QuickTime files aren't recognised in IE/FireFox even though it says I've QT-alternative installed? You seem to know a bit so worth a shot ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Version 3.0 is the newest one. It should be on windows update, under optional software.

I think you may need to install a plug in for your browser before it will play the files.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if you have installed .NET you might as well get http://getpaint.net it's like a free version of paint shop pro

no point in installing .NET until you need it if only because you have to down extra security patches, but if you need it to run a certain program then nothing else will do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

if you guys think there will be a lot of future programs needing it, sure I may as well just download it now while I'm downloading/installing everything else on my new comp :)

what's paint shop pro? I have photoshop, I hate extra bulk on my pc, programs I'll never use. If I have photoshop, is there any need for paint shop pro?

Thanks AC, I see it in the optional section :) I assume there's no need to get 2 and 1 if I get 3? I definitely think 1.1, the one I have, did something to the log in process before when I installed it with SP2. I hope this doesn't do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

cormie wrote: »
    I assume there's no need to get 2 and 1 if I get 3?

wouldn't count on it....i had version 2 installed, and tried to install synctoy, which demanded i download and install version 1.1 before it would install....any application I've seen that needs dotnet will tell you when you run the installer anyway...so i wouldn't get too hung up on it, install on demand i'd say

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

cormie wrote: »
    iwhat's paint shop pro? I have photoshop, I hate extra bulk on my pc, programs I'll never use. If I have photoshop, is there any need for paint shop pro?
    if you already have a legit copy fine, but full blown photoshop isn't cheap. Also the license states that unlike the rest of us you can't use the word photoshop as a verb - photoshop is the one program you can't photoshop a picture in.

http://www.micromail.com/MMprodDetail.aspx?productid=7740
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0 Windows
    EUR 83(Price inc VAT EUR 100.43)
    Micromail Number: 7657
    actually it's probably cheaper to buy a scanner/camera that comes with photoshop elements bundled !

http://www.micromail.com/MMprodDetail.aspx?productid=10242
    Adobe Photoshop Extended CS3 Windows
    EUR 1069(Price inc VAT EUR 1293.49)
    Micromail Number: 9690

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Gryzor wrote: »
    wouldn't count on it....i had version 2 installed, and tried to install synctoy, which demanded i download and install version 1.1 before it would install....any application I've seen that needs dotnet will tell you when you run the installer anyway...so i wouldn't get too hung up on it, install on demand i'd say

THere are, at the moment, a couple of different versions of the framework, v1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 (released last week)

If you design a program in 2.0 you need 2.0. If you design it in 1.1 you need the 1.1 framework. You get the picture. The version number is important. In the config files for the programs and in the installer usually it will specifiy what version it requires. And if thats not installed it will either download it or if its part of the installer it will install it from there. As per your experience

For security reasons, just install it on demand as was said before.

Advertisement