Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Breakfast show?

• 30-11-2007 12:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭

Who do you love and who do you loathe on the breakfast circuit?

Personally Joe & Keith Crack me up (and I am not even a student)

The loathing goes to the 98fm morning crew. That fella has the most whining voice. 3 Gobeens if you ask me. The jokes are so bad and the toll trolls make me feel like commititing road rage.... Well nearly...

Best Breakfast Show? 118 votes

2FM
    0%
    98FM
    24%
    ChongbushdatkbbabilityhomerjkFoolitzVolvoboysalad dodgerGary ITRrasoulOrleeJellothemadchefchalkitdown1shockwavepatrickcGran HermanotubosgrenacheZonda999 29 votes
    Q102
    4%
    petalsSparkyoldsmileyTheDemiurgeClink 5 votes
    FM104
    0%
    sgt.bilko 1 vote
    Today FM
    10%
    PullMyFinger!PatrickisperfecandrewieAXCarroller16tread_softlyRadio Mad.lampydooRobertaHQDame EdnaSHHFresh Pots 12 votes
    Spin 1038
    56%
    deRangedbyteTom DunneMr EmollserefbZaphdcr22BmasterKroboraven136keano_afcccBadabingRay777ro1798FiretrapchristebEdgarAllenPooswingking 67 votes
    Other
    3%
    ashyleQualitymaxwell jump"V" 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

98FM
    Colm & Jim Jim. Living in Cork all my life, I had never heard them until the morning they started on 2fm. I thought I'd hate 'em, but I gotta say they've really grown on me. I listen to them almost every morning, now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Spin 1038
    Today FM for Gift Grub alone.

Colm and Jim-Jim wreck my head, but not as much as the Limerick Live95 muppets/morons/shotheads etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Spin 1038
    I picked Today FM solely for Gift Grub. Starting to go off Ian Dempsey. Slightly repetitive these days and their sports news on the half hour drives me mad. So many interruptions all the tiime. Just get on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Spin 1038
    Colm and Jim-Jim wreck my head, but not as much as the Limerick Live95 muppets/morons/shotheads etc.

I HATE those presenters on Live 95, what is with their accents. Colm and Jim Jim wreck my head too.

I listen to Ian Dempsey, mainly because there is no alternative. I'm not a huge fan of Gift Grub, I know I'll probably get shot down for this, but I think a lot of the impersonations are quite poor. Sometimes I find it hard to tell the difference between Bertie and Ronan and I think Mario's take on Roy is terrible, it sounds nothing like him. I also hate the way he uses phrases 'all credit to...' and 'at the end of the day...' for Roy, and 'come on' or 'in fairness' for Ronan completely out of context, but a lot of the sketches are good if you can overlook these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I think Mario's take on Roy is terrible, it sounds nothing like him.

Jesus man, you need to sit down and listen to the Roy talks to Roy interview :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Spin 1038
    Of the list, Ian Dempsey is far and away the best (in my opinion of course). Gift Grub is brilliant and I really like Ian as a presenter. His style is so natural and engaging, and his taste in music is great. He often makes smart comments about any awful chart stuff he has to play - for that alone he gets my respect.

Not everyone on Boards is in Dublin you know! My local stations are RedFM and 96FM in Cork - wouldn't listen to them if you paid me.

I used to live in Dublin - wouldn't touch 98, 104, Spin, Q with a bargepole.
    The only Dublin station I listened to in the mornings was Phantom.

And for current affairs, NewsTalk. Their breakfast show is the only thing I'd listen to on that station. I'd flick over to Morning Ireland the odd time just to check, but I never listen to it for long unless there's something exceptionally interesting on.

So when in Dublin: Today FM, Phantom, NewsTalk, Morning Ireland.
    When in Cork: Today FM, NewsTalk, Morning Ireland (Phantom if I was listening online but that doesn't really happen in the mornings).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Spin 1038
    Ian Dempsey by a mile, does everything his way great taste in music and Gift Grub is so much better than knob oliver callon nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Agree with Dudess, very narrow Dublin-focused poll.

Stick LMFM in for the laugh and see if Seamus Farrelly gets ANY votes! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

Spin 1038
    Out of that selection, Ian Dempsey by a mile. I despise the local Dublin stations, and haven't listened to 2FM in the mornings since Tubridy quit the Full Irish.

I usually find myself listening to Morning Ireland nowadays. If I want to listen to music, I prefer to choose it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SpartanKiller

i listen to today fm in the morn purely for giftgrub and the sports news,but dempsey is an idiot,hes stupid,plain and simple,he ****s up all the comps as well,then he plays nothing but bruce springsteen and david bowie all the time,when he annoys me i'll switch over to phantom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Spin 1038
    he ****s up all the comps as well
    That's what I like about him - his natural, relaxed, unpolished, unrehearsed style; the way he doesn't have to resort to generic DJ-isms. I think he's excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

98FM
    used to love Dempsey.but now he seems more into himself than the show, Colm and Jim Jim for me now, they are the funniest by far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭cor

The breakfast shows are so bad (apart from Phantom) that I usually listen to my IPOD. If I am listening to the radio I listen to Phantom, and I flick over to Newstalk for the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

98FM
    Colm and Jim Jim (notice the way I give the bosses daughter no mention... that because she's out of her depth)

Outside of the Ireland it has to be Chris Moyles. Top show... would recommend his podcast...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I always hated Colm and JimJim, arseholes.

98fm is so unfunny it's cringeworthy.

Them two planks on Spin.
    bbability wrote: »
    Outside of the Ireland it has to be Chris Moyles. Top show... would recommend his podcast...

You have it spot on there. I wake up to Moyles at 6.30 and listen for a half hour (I got my Logik Internet Radio specifically for this purpose), then head accross Dublin to be in work for about 8.15 and then listen to the rest of the show.

On the journey I listen to Newstalk.

I'm currently trialling a new application on my phone, Spodtronic, they haven't got the BBC stations yet, but I hope they do when it gets a proper release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Morning Ireland ftw! News and no bullsh!t tomfoolery a la Colm and Jim Jam.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Spin 1038
    I listen mostly to Ian Dempsey in the morning.

Spin 1038
    Big Balls wrote: »
    Jesus man, you need to sit down and listen to the Roy talks to Roy interview :confused:

I have, and while i'm not saying that the interview wasn't funny, I just don't think that Mario sounds like Roy, like what's the laugh about???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Spin 1038
    I'd have to go with Today FM, I think it would be lost without Gift Grub though. But Dempsey is the least annoying punter to listen to in the AM so gets my vote :)

Colm & Jim Jim, that old routine is old hat at this stage and they aint all that funny.

98FM - Just pure grade A poop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 nakedlykeenthen

Red Fm, Cork station, KC and Lenny, brill show, gets my vote!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Spin 1038
    today fm all the way :D I love it when jay comes on the radio and starts giving out,hes a LEGEND!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Newstalk in the morning or Dempsey (even though he's bland beyond belief) mostly for gift grub...
    Usually just cds though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Newstalk; Byrne and Gilroy are great presenters and its good to get a good fill of news before breakfast.

Ian Dempsey is an idiot and a bad presenter who cant come to the point at all and has to meander and meander, his interview with Ricky Gervais was pure cringe. Gift Grub is ok, but I blame a lot of Aherns popularity on this, so therefore its fundamentally evil.

Colin and Jim Jim can eat **** whatever station that they are on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 d.harney

Spin 1038
    today fm for gift gurb... its very funny!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

The Red Rooster is best in Cork, leaves 96FMs dull dull brekk show in the shade.

Tried listening to 2FMs "Gollum and Dum Dum" but you can only take so much meandering and routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

BBC Radio 4's The Today Show. Brilliant, brilliant news focus programme every morning. I don't know how they do it.

I'd love to see something as meaty on Irish radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

the problem with Ian Dempsey is that he seems likes he's constantly "padding" to fill time. It's very annoying. Plus there are too many "in-jokes" between the staff on the breakfast show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭TheDemiurge

Q102
    Have to say, I don't find the 98fm show too bad at all. Dempsey is too sedate and reminiscent of 2fm circa 1984, and one of my New Year's resolutions was to change the morning dial from the horror that is Colm and Dim-Jim Nugent Show, which I listened to for want of an alternative. 98fm might be crap but it's far more buoyant in a positive way than Colm/JJ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

DMC wrote: »
    Agree with Dudess, very narrow Dublin-focused poll.

Agreed, I'd vote for Paddy Mac's "Good Morning Dundalk" on Dundalk FM over that lot any day!...

Honest...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Always been a Morning Ireland junkie although recently it seems to be shipping a lot more non-stories and losing its bite. Would not listen to anything that involves people thinking they are funny or that shouting on radio early in the morning is good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

Q102
    Luv Joe and Keith on Spin and the 98fm morning crew... They have good homour etc for that hour of the morning and those Toll Trolls are just legends!

Don't like Colm and Jim-Jim at all. I've tried to listen a few tiems and I just see some of the homour they have a drunken pub homour and shouldn't be on radio at that hour of the morning.. Like one day for example I was listening and they had this rubbish joke about buying a car with a turd on the seat of it. Come on like it's 6-9 in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Spin 1038
    I'm in Dublin, but I reall really can't stand Q102, Spin, 98fm and 2fm
    The only ones I listen to reguarly are Ian Dempsey on Today FM, The Classic Breakfast on Lyric, And Sinister Pete on Phantom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Pity, some BBC stations are not included in the poll :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 trish123

Spin 1038
    I have listened to Ian Dempsey ever since he moved to TodayFm and before, but just recently I have been really getting p***ed off with the intervention from the Newsreader Emma Tully .. she does my head in, and Paul Collins .. if it's not Tipperary related - it's not worthy ! Ian is grand - but I really think he's got too comfortable of late - same o, same o ! Maybe I'm just getting too old for it ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Newstalk; Byrne and Gilroy are great presenters and its good to get a good fill of news before breakfast.
    Your kidding. Byrne sounds like some bird in Cafe en Seine witless and clueless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

mickd wrote: »
    Your kidding. Byrne sounds like some bird in Cafe en Seine witless and clueless

Wrong on so many levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Spin 1038
    trish123 wrote: »
    I have listened to Ian Dempsey ever since he moved to TodayFm and before, but just recently I have been really getting p***ed off with the intervention from the Newsreader Emma Tully .. she does my head in, and Paul Collins .. if it's not Tipperary related - it's not worthy ! Ian is grand - but I really think he's got too comfortable of late - same o, same o ! Maybe I'm just getting too old for it ! :rolleyes:

PC has the same script which he rotates from day to day :rolleyes:

His best work includes :

"How ye goin"
    "How ye gettin on"

He lays it on with a trowel and also thinks hes a bit of a ladies man :eek:

Spin 1038
    trish123 wrote: »

I hate the two of them too. It annoys me the way Emily buts in all the time, I thought it was great the morning when Michael McMullen was filling in for Paul Collins, and she kept butting in asking questions. In the end he told her that if she shut up and let him finish his report she'd find out, that shut her up :D What's probably more annoying is that she feels the need to feature something 'interesting' from the mornings papers at the end of each news bulletin, leading on to 50 stupid questions from Ian. And as for Paul, how did he get a job reporting on sports? if it's not Tipp GAA, he doesn't have a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

Wrong on so many levels.

Oh no, I quite agree with Mickd. That Newstalk show has gone down the pan since they put her on with Ger. He did the show for a few weeks on his own and it was so much better. Then she comes along with her fake "trying to get a killer soundbite from this politician and nail him with one line" style and it falls flat. She doesn't have what it takes to do good radio journalism.

Now Dunphy, like him or loathe him, totally outclassed the both of them. He followed the ISSUE, almost in a Paxman way and wouldn't let his guest/victim off the hook if there was an important point to be made. Sorry he's gone, tbh. He might have went on a bit sometimes, but there was more substance in one of his programmes than a month of the current Newstalk show.

Back on topic - Out of all the crap that masquerades as breakfast radio - Phantom. At least they don;t play sh!te the whole time.

And the point earlier about BBC radio, totally agree. Both in music and talk, they lead. Could teach the fools over here a lot, if only they weren't so busy trying to be funny to listen.

B.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

Red Fm, Cork station, KC and Lenny, brill show, gets my vote!

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 aac.conroy

98FM
    the 2fm show by a mile! I don't like the FM104 1. Its not my kettle of fish.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

Spin 1038
    Why do the presenters on the 2fm breakfast show keep saying "that's brilliant,Wow! really?". It's pure ****e and what's with all the fake american accents doing the promos for the various shows on 2fm.Bloody annoying and totally uncool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Spin 1038
    Colm and Jim Jim make me want to hurt people...

Iano is a ledge, listening to him for as long as I can remember, he started on Today FM when I started college.

Ann Marie Kelly preceding Iano from 5-7am is pretty damn good with her music and interction with her listeners. All in all Today FM for teh win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

Spin 1038
    efb wrote: »
    Colm and Jim Jim make me want to hurt people...

Iano is a ledge, listening to him for as long as I can remember, he started on Today FM when I started college.

Ann Marie Kelly preceding Iano from 5-7am is pretty damn good with her music and interction with her listeners. All in all Today FM for teh win!
    Iano is starting to sound like alan partridge.He could almost phone in the show everymorning.Just goes through the motions.Without gift grub he'd be lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Pure morning on Phantom. Sinister Pete is in no way annoying to listen to and he mostly plays good music without any talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭rasoul

98FM
    love the gerry ryan show, cant listen to any of the other shows on any station prior to that, except maybe morning ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

Today FM out of those otions but Phantom is the only one where you don't have crappy presenters that think they're hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Phantom, I would say, by a mile has the best breakfast show with Sinister Pete. It has none of this rubbishy conversation setup so beloved of most music-based radio stations, certainly in Dublin, just plenty of music and the minimum necessary chat such as traffic updates. My second choice would be Newstalk - news stories with a difference - with or without Ger and Clare.

That said, I'm just slightly concerned about what I heard on Phantom this morning. I'm hoping it was just a St. Patrick's special. The breakfast show was co-hosted by Neil Austin. I've no problem with the guy, but there was a bit more banter than normal. Please tell me this is not a new look breakfast show. The big thing about Phantom, apart from its emphasis on the musical content, is that there is none of the god-awful conversations and attempts at humour. Viva la difference!

... By the way, seeing as nobody else mentioned it, my third choice on weekday mornings is Dublin City FM, for its brilliant traffic reports on Live Drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

I really miss Ryan Tubridy on the Full Irish on RTÉ2 back in 2004 ish. That was my favourite. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Subcitizen

By far, the best morning show is Howard Stern.

• Advertisement
Advertisement