Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on knocking down stud wall

Options
  • 30-11-2007 1:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I live in a dormer bungalow and wish to knock down part of a stud wall in order to enlarge the kitchen. My concern is that I am unsure if this is a retaining wall or not. I have been told that this can still be a retaining wall regardless that it is studded and not solid. I would appreciate advice on this. Maria

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭miles teg

It would really need to be looked at to determine if its load bearing or not. nobody can say offhand but here's a link with a few tips on checking:
    http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/load-bearing_walls.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

How much of the wall are you knocking, whats over it and what are you putting there instead ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Maria Mac

miles teg wrote: »
    It would really need to be looked at to determine if its load bearing or not. nobody can say offhand but here's a link with a few tips on checking:

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. Maria M

How much of the wall are you knocking, whats over it and what are you putting there instead ?

Just want to open it up with perhaps an archway and use it to enlarge the kitchen. There is a bathroom and landing over it. I've checked the direction of the joists and they are running in the same direction as the wall. The load bearing walls are running at right angles to this. I just need to check if I need to put in an RSJ. Maria M

miles teg wrote: »

Thanks Miles. Great site with endless amounts of relevent info. Appreciate it. Also have decided to get builders in to do the wall as I'm not confident or skilled enough to take a chance with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Probably best to put on a steel lintel, or perhaps even just a flitch plate on the joist would be enough if you are putting an archway there. Just beware that it isn't under any big point loads like a bath! If in doubt, stick in an Acro until you have the flitch/plate or lintel installed.
    Price it with builders before you get them in, They'll ride ya otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Maria Mac wrote: »
    Thanks Miles. Great site with endless amounts of relevent info. Appreciate it. Also have decided to get builders in to do the wall as I'm not confident or skilled enough to take a chance with it.

Maria,
    Having said that if u strip one side of the wall of the PB, given that u are doing the job anyway, u will then know if it is LB or not:)

If you do, post a pic or two....

AngryHippie
    ...They'll ride ya otherwise...
    to a poster signing as Maria: Now now!
    Perhaps you need to go see the SOM
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2006/07_july/11/maria.shtml

Thanks everyone. Lots of good advice. The family have "requested" that I leave it till after the Christmas holiday before starting any work on it, so, I've capitulated gracefully to their request. Found lots of info on the sites given to do other work in the meantime. Like making a new fire surround for the sitting room and doing a makeover with the kitchen cupboard doors. I will send pics when I start it after the holiday. Maria M

Advertisement