Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Speed Ramps, Roselawn/Tramore Heights

Options
  • 30-11-2007 2:11am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed today that new speed ramps have been put around Roselawn and Tramore Heights. There the big long ones that you see before and after Spar. No warning when coming from Spar up into Roselawn.

Honestly think putting ramps uptowards Roselawn is pathetic. Bad enough that a certain council member decided that its a good idea to remove the bollards - which to many were historic for the area - to prevent anti-social behaviour (ha). At least they could have put down the ones that are already there - the square ramps on both lanes.

Minto, since your from that road - did you hear about this? I know that counciler likes to send out a newsletter but I dont think he mentioned this..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I wouldnt call those bollards historic, dont think much people would have cared about them going anyway

As for the ramps, if they are in addition to the (pretty useless) ones that are already there then I dont really see the point

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I had a few people comment on the fact they were there a considerable long time and were disapointed to see them go - for such a silly reason.

The ramps were added up past the enterance of Tramore Heights right up to the back enterance of the Holy Cross. Also, down Tramore Heights (more then the usual ones). They left two old ones there tho.

What I cant get over is the fact that one of the lads working in the Ambulance lives up in Roselawn and often brings the ambulance with him. They told the council that they dont like those speed ramps which is why they wont put them out towards Newtown Cove. Yet, they feel the need to put them up this way!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 sm123_irl

Sully wrote: »
    I had a few people comment on the fact they were there a considerable long time and were disapointed to see them go - for such a silly reason.

The ramps were added up past the enterance of Tramore Heights right up to the back enterance of the Holy Cross. Also, down Tramore Heights (more then the usual ones). They left two old ones there tho.

What I cant get over is the fact that one of the lads working in the Ambulance lives up in Roselawn and often brings the ambulance with him. They told the council that they dont like those speed ramps which is why they wont put them out towards Newtown Cove. Yet, they feel the need to put them up this way!?

There is no problem with the speed ramps and with the ambulance going over em sully they are the same as the ones in the rest of the town, you seem to have an opinion on everything and most of the time ya seem to be wrong so keep your opinion to yourself until you have facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

No previous warning on the ramps, but couldn't your GF have told ya that? Doesn't she live on the road behind me?

There's nothing wrong with the ramps. The ambulance should have no problem going over those ramps.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

sm123_irl wrote: »
    There is no problem with the speed ramps and with the ambulance going over em sully they are the same as the ones in the rest of the town, you seem to have an opinion on everything and most of the time ya seem to be wrong so keep your opinion to yourself until you have facts.

Ya I know there the same as they are around the town. But, im only stating what I read in the paper. Hardly a crime. They stated the ambulance (emergency services in general I believe) didnt like them. My point is, and im entitled to it, why are they putting these down when there not needed in Roselawn (Tramore heights, I can understand) and its already known the emergency services dont like them? Is it something I havent noticed, as if it is, then I can see why its needed. But I cant see why there needed in the Roselawn direction.

The ones towards the cove are needed, down by the prom, up by the schools also.

So, it is fact. The emergency services stated to the council, who reported in the News & Star, that they dont like the ramps. Hence why, they would not be placed out towards Newtown.
    Minto wrote: »
    No previous warning on the ramps, but couldn't your GF have told ya that? Doesn't she live on the road behind me?

There's nothing wrong with the ramps. The ambulance should have no problem going over those ramps.

Just checking did you hear anything, as you seem to have your ears open (no offense intended) on a lot of local things!

Anyway, cars get over them slowly so I assume its something to do with the size of the ambulance, its load and the hurry there in when attending a call. (As I said, I didnt come up with this idea on my own. They said it.)

• Advertisement

Since apparently what I state isnt fact.. god help me for my opinions.. but here is an article (tis old, but I cant find the most recent one) about emergency services and ramps:-
    He pointed out that the noise of vehicles going over these ramps could be quite disturbing to people at night And he said the fire and ambulance services had complained that ramps slowed them down when they were responding to an emergency call.

Source: http://archives.tcm.ie/waterfordnews/2003/07/25/story11225.asp

It also covers, briefly, about having ramps in estates. I personaly aint seen much trouble in Roselawn, Tramore Heights hasnt had much either but its a dead straight road leading out onto the ring road so I can see why its needed.

I do think the ramps are needed up around Roselawn, a lot of kids play soccer and skateboard around there and its a straight road, so people are going to drive fast around there.

Minto wrote: »
    I do think the ramps are needed up around Roselawn, a lot of kids play soccer and skateboard around there and its a straight road, so people are going to drive fast around there.

Oh I agree, to an extent. Though children are in the sub-estates and not on that straight stretch. So, as the article stated, people are still going to speedup after the ramp anyway and drive fast into the estates. Also, as the article states, most people driving up that way are residents..

But I do agree, something is needed to calm traffic to keep the flow slow. Just not sure those size ramps are whats needed. :)

Yea, but I always thought the old one they used to have were kind of useless. My mom's car could drive through the middle of them! Ok, it was only a Seicento, but it still got through!

LOL well the avensis does the same.. but you wont drive over them at top speed. Your mother drives slow (well, I suppose top speed for the car ;)). Those ramps calm the traffic. The new ramps make you pretty much stop, go over, accelarte and speed up. It works, but I think calming is whats needed when approaching an estate area.

Sure, its the same as driving the ring road. To your right and left tis all estates, but its dead straight with liddle or no kids (apart from the traffic lights, which attract people). I cant see them putting ramps on that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

The historic bollards, were they built around the time of the Napoleonic Wars or something? :D

DéiseGirl wrote: »
    The historic bollards, were they built around the time of the Napoleonic Wars or something? :D

Tis a shame. If anything, they should have removed them and put em in a museum.

Anyway, I meant historic as in they have been there for many years and there was hardly any point in removing them.

Advertisement