Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with Gmail on a Nokia 6280 - Help

• 30-11-2007 9:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm trying to run the Gmail application on a Nokia 6280. I've downloaded and installed the application with no errors. I can also access the internet via my phone and have obtained the correct settings from O2. When I run the application however, I enter my username/password and select 'sign in'. The handset then asks me

"Allow network access"

to which I reply

"Yes".

I then get an error:

"This program requires a data connection. Please contact your carrier or visit the Gmail for mobile FAQ on your computer for more info"

Has anyone any ideas on this? I get the same error when I try to run the Google maps application. I have searched on this, and the only reponse I can find is a solution regarding the English UK/English US settings, but there wasn't enough detail in the solution. Any help would be great.

Cheers,

DC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭AlanD

do you have a "G" in a white box displayed to the right of your battery symbol?

My 6280 loses this G frequently, so to get it back, I have to take off cover and remove battery to reboot the phone. Do this while phone is on. Restart and you should get a good connection when you reconnect.

I think carriers set their phones to drop their data signals after about a year to get them to upgrade. 3 Ireland said it's probably that my phone is old (11 months) which is why the g drops. Scam artists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭spaczed

I had the same error message with my Samsung E-200 on meteor. Eventually after changing around the settings a few times (a lot of experimentation), and downgrading to an earlier version of the Gmail app (which is available to download online, you'd need to google for it), I got over this. I'm not sure if it was the fact I had changed settings and disabled/re-enabled data access for the app or the downgrade that worked, but you could give it a go.

Unfortunately, I then found that Samsung didn't think compatibility with RSA encrytption certificates, needed for things like the Gmail app, were needed on their phones, so couldn't use the app anyway. Unlike Nokia, which supports it fine. Grrr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

AlanD wrote: »
    do you have a "G" in a white box displayed to the right of your battery symbol?

Yes, the G in the box appears. I have no problem browsing the internet on the phone.

Cheers,

DC.

Advertisement