Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a bird

Options
  • 30-11-2007 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hello

I am thinking of buying a parrot, I would like an African Grey, however when I go to work the bird would be left alone, and I understand that African Greys are very sensitive and may become stressed when left alone.
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend another breed which may be more suitable for me.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Certainly not a cockatoo, they are one of the more demanding parrot species and also one of the loudest.

African Greys are not as attention-demanding as cockies, I've know someone who works who keeps an African Gray, the bird has its small room in the house that is filled with branches and perches and things for the parrot to chew and play with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

African grey would be best - lots of toys & leave the telly or radio on when you are at work & spend lots of time playing/cuddling & talking when you are home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Alternatively you could get a smaller bird like a cockatiel to keep the grey company while you're out working. Also leave a radio on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

Budgies. easy to keep, entertaining, talks, and you can get two so they will keep each other company when your out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 harrins

Demonique wrote: »
    African Greys are not as attention-demanding as cockies,

I must disagree with this statement. As the owner of African Greys, I can most definitely state that they need attention and lots of it. However they can be left during the day, providing they have lots of attention in the mornings and evenings. A Grey is definitely not a beginner bird, if you have not owned big parrots before then I suggest you do not start with a Grey. They can live for 40-50 years, will go through terrible 2's and adolesence, and are a life long commitment.

However, if I havent managed to dissuade you and you would still like a grey, let me tell you that properly cared for, they are great fun, the best companions, and will keep you laughing for years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

buy a nestling budgie

i.e. a 6 week old budgie

and you can tame it and it will sit on your shoulder and maby talk

that's what i did when i was a kid

it was great fun

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

harrins wrote: »
    I must disagree with this statement. As the owner of African Greys, I can most definitely state that they need attention and lots of it. However they can be left during the day, providing they have lots of attention in the mornings and evenings. A Grey is definitely not a beginner bird, if you have not owned big parrots before then I suggest you do not start with a Grey. They can live for 40-50 years, will go through terrible 2's and adolesence, and are a life long commitment.

However, if I havent managed to dissuade you and you would still like a grey, let me tell you that properly cared for, they are great fun, the best companions, and will keep you laughing for years!

Can you recommend any other type of bird for the OP, (and Myself) I was interested in getting an african grey, i work 3 days....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

A nestling budgie will need a lot of attention too if it's a lone bird. If you are in full time work and aren't worried about bonding too strongly with them you could get two eg cockatiel or budgie or other smaller parrot. Even cockatiels are very demanding esp lone ones that are used to human company. You would be suprised how even these birds get frustrated and bored and can feather pluck etc. I feel more guilty leaving my cockatiels than my dogs lol.

Advertisement