Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Collection - Galway

Options
  • 30-11-2007 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I am looking at buying a car in Galway. Living in Dublin. Problem is just got my provisionsal, and have not got a breeze how to drive sufficent for a long journey like that. Does anyone know if there are mechanics out there who will do an inspection and then drive a car back to Dublin once they get the go ahead from the purchaser (me)? Any idea how much it might cost? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Get the AA to do an inspection and then ring around through the golden pages for a tow truck.I think it would be cheaper to get the guy to come from galway to dublin.Best bet is ring around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

drdre wrote: »
    Get the AA to do an inspection and then ring around through the golden pages for a tow truck.I think it would be cheaper to get the guy to come from galway to dublin.Best bet is ring around.

The AA Charge an absolute fortune for their checks ,i got a quote of around 320 euro to check out a car.

I'd say your best bet would be to find a local mechanic and see if he could sort you out, just explain the situation.

Better yet, if you have a relative or friend with a full license and a car, they can temporarily transfer their insurance over to the car to get it to your house or whereever.

Buying a used car is a bit of a minefield, but is not as daunting as some mechanics and dealerships would let you believe.

Service history is key, if its at the required intervals then it shows the car's been looked after. Walk away if you have a bad feeling about it, theres loads of used cars on the market at the moment. If its missing something, don't hand over any cash until that missing something is replaced.

Theres checklists that you can use:
    http://www.samarins.com/check/index.html

Thats just an example, but going through a list and ticking off the boxes is all a mechanic will do at the end of the day and you can easily do this yourself.

Thats the daunting part, looking at "a car" and not knowing where to start.

Best of luck with your car purchase, and remember, your buying, so your in the driving seat here, don't be afraid to offer less than their advertising, start low and work your way up. The worst that can happen is the guy can "pretend" to be offended because you offered him what he felt was an unfair price. If that happens then you can say, Sorry I'll leave it so. I guarantee you they'll want to negotiate further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Its better safe than sorry.Id rather pay the money for a check up but i would find someone abit cheaper than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

drdre wrote: »
    Its better safe than sorry.Id rather pay the money for a check up but i would find someone abit cheaper than that.

Aye, thats why I said mechanic.

On top of that a warranty from most garages isn't worth the paper its printed on. They always try and make out its your fault due to whatever.. could be solar flares or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'll drive it to Dublin for beer money ;) But im only covered 3rd party so accept no responsibility if I crash/someone crashes into me :eek::p:o:D

(Yes this is a joke before the PC losers get onto my back about declaring my income to the revenue) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement