Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer Slaughter

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

juuge wrote: »
    I can see this thread going off in all directions and understandably so, however I intend to go walking in that area over the weekend and I would really appreciate some advice as to how I should handle it if by chance I come across this type of thing. (within the law that is)

If you are going out to deliberately look for these people then bring a camera and discreetly photograph/video them whilst ringing the ranger & Gardai. Do not confront them. Do not compromise yourself in any way.

Remember, if they are acting illegally, which I am sure they are, then they may not think twice about walloping you. If they are going to be butchering & shooting then you know they are going to be carrying large sharp knives & firearms.

Vehicles (with number plates), carcasses & persons are what you need to be photographing/videoing, (if videoing preferrably use a tape & not digital imaging). And bring a friend or two.

If you are not accustomed to covert surveillance then I do not recommend you do any of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Trojan911 wrote: »
    If you are going out to deliberately look for these people then bring a camera and discreetly photograph/video them whilst ringing the ranger & Gardai. Do not confront them. Do not compromise yourself in any way.

Remember, if they are acting illegally, which I am sure they are, then they may not think twice about walloping you. If they are going to be butchering & shooting then you know they are going to be carrying large sharp knives & firearms.

Vehicles (with number plates), carcasses & persons are what you need to be photographing/videoing, (if videoing preferrably use a tape & not digital imaging). And bring a friend or two.

If you are not accustomed to covert surveillance then I do not recommend you do any of the above.

Thanks for that…….I’m not familiar with the area but I will be in a group of at least six and I will bring a video/still camera. The chances are however we will not see these people as I’m told they move around the Wicklow area.
    I was curious to know if others had experienced the same type of behaviour and if so how they handled it. My work colleague who stumbled upon these creeps last week told me the Gardai were really not pushed and admitted to him that they didn’t have a car in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

If you want to film discretely you could use a covert camera

I just did a google search and found this was the first site:

http://www.pimall.com/nais/e.menu-b.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Thanks for that…….I’m not familiar with the area but I will be in a group of at least six and I will bring a video/still camera.
    Well, any luck?
    The chances are however we will not see these people as I’m told they move around the Wicklow area.
    They will only be where the deer are so you may not see them again. Your friend did his best by informing the relevant authorities.

Well, any luck?

They will only be where the deer are so you may not see them again. Your friend did his best by informing the relevant authorities.

There were no scum-bads spotted on the day and I have since found out that the local response has been so great that there are all sorts of friends and neighbours keeping a look out should they return. It seems the registration numbers of the vehicles were passd on to the local Gardai, that should help ! I'll be up that way again in a few weeks and I will keep this thread up dated.

• Advertisement

Well, any luck?

There were no scum-bags spotted on the day and I have since found out that the local response has been so great that there are all sorts of friends and neighbours keeping a look out should they return. It seems the registration numbers of the vehicles were passd on to the local Gardai, that should help ! I'll be up that way again in a few weeks and I will keep this thread up dated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

Fits-your dog is very beautiful but he's NOT a lurcher!He is in fact a longdog as he is very obviously a first cross saluki greyhound.A lurcher is a cross between any breed of hound and any working breed,eg,whippet x collie or greyhound x GSD or Saluki x sheepdog(have one of these and he looks like a labrador) etc etc.A longdog,which is what your gorgeous boy is,is a cross between two breeds of hound.The 'classic' lurcher - the grey spiky haired type is more likely to be a longdog too and not a lurcher at all-as he's most likely to be a greyhound x deerhound.Your boy was not bred for deer,in as far as he was bred for anything by the people(read idiots)who breed this type,he was bred for hare /rabbit coursing.Lurchers for deer are pitbullxgreyhound

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I disagree. He's way too chunky to be a greyhound saluki cross, believe me. I've considered it. He's a really substantial dog with a lot more bone in his legs than a greyhound saluki cross could possibly have. You might get a better idea of his width in this one. Thats my OH standing beside him who is 5'10

DSCI0012.jpg

Perhaps he technically is a longdog, as i dont believe theres anything outside of sighthound in him. My guess is that he gets his chunkiness from wolfhound in there somewhere.

Anyway, I refer to both him and my whippet greyhound cross as lurchers, as thats the most commonly used term for sighthound cross these days, whether its correct or not. :)

Your boy was not bred for deer,in as far as he was bred for anything by the people(read idiots)who breed this type,he was bred for hare /rabbit coursing.Lurchers for deer are pitbullxgreyhound

Do you know everyone I meet who comments on my dog's origins is an expert. I'll file your theory along with the others, and I'm still none the wiser.

• Advertisement

I have a purebred saluki with even more bone than your boy,any less than half saluki and you don't get the feathering.I'm being a pain with semantics over the lurcher/longdog thing-thanks for not being offended!He's not tall enough to have deerhound in him.Trust me on this!
    And keep him under lock and key!There are people who will steal him in a heartbeat because of those saluki looks!

I have a purebred saluki with even more bone than your boy,any less than half saluki and you don't get the feathering.

I dont believe you :D. A pure bred saluki should have way less bone, and a much finer head than this guy. Have you got a pic you can post?

I have friends who've done the dog show circuit thingy and they agree with me. We think he has borzoi in him also which would compensate on the feathering front.

I'm being a pain with semantics over the lurcher/longdog thing-thanks for not being offended!
    I'm not offended, I'm like a boring parent, I love talking about my dogs:D
    He's not tall enough to have deerhound in him.Trust me on this!
    And keep him under lock and key!There are people who will steal him in a heartbeat because of those saluki looks!

I never said deerhound, I said wolfhound. Deerhounds wouldnt give him that chunkiness. I'm well aware of the dangers with him too. He's neutered, tagged and microchipped and we live in a very secure place where he is always indoors unless we are walking him. Theres been an awful lot of lurchers stolen recently (including Twinks). I wont even let my two alone in the car. OH thinks I'm way too paranoid but I'd rather be paranoid than lose them.

I have a purebred saluki with even more bone than your boy and a 1st cross who could be his brother.Not all salukis (or greyhounds)have the very spindly legs.My blue greyhound boy is built like a veritable brick outhouse and has legs like treetrunks-small wonder he failed on the track!
    I'm just being a pain with semantics on the use of the term lurcher-thanks for not taking offense!
    He's too short to have wolfhound in him.Could be pitbull but I've rescued that cross too and he doesnt have the face for it.
    He's no less than half saluki tho,the feathering doesn't come up after the first cross.
    If I'm ever out your way I'll bring a few of the babies with me and show you,they love the beach and they miss that here in the midlands.
    Can I interest you in a sheepdog x whippet puppy?Their mother came in -very pregnant!- when she was dumped.Mum's a PB whippet and too traumatised yet to go anywhere but the pups are 11 wks and bumptious!The sheepdog half is a guess as they have mum's smooth coat but they have s.d.markings and the dog pup has a bristly face which happens on that cross.

Can I interest you in a sheepdog x whippet puppy?Their mother came in -very pregnant!- when she was dumped.Mum's a PB whippet and too traumatised yet to go anywhere but the pups are 11 wks and bumptious!The sheepdog half is a guess as they have mum's smooth coat but they have s.d.markings and the dog pup has a bristly face which happens on that cross.

No.. two is lots I'm afraid. Our house is tiny and we've no garden. Good luck with homing them :)

Which rescue are you?

In the spirit of friendly discussion- I hope we're not arguing?-as soon as I've figured out how to plug camera into my friends computer I'll be posting photos like a madwoman.I don't expect you to believe me,you don't know me and I've offered no proof.DONT listen to anyone who tells you you're security paranoid-it's not possible to be too carefull with hunting hounds.They kicked in the front door and got past the Rottie to take my boy and I've never seen him since.He was 8 years old when they took him,slept on my bed every night of his life.It's been three years and not a day goes by I don't worry about him.

I have a purebred saluki with even more bone than your boy and a 1st cross who could be his brother.Not all salukis (or greyhounds)have the very spindly legs.My blue greyhound boy is built like a veritable brick outhouse and has legs like treetrunks-small wonder he failed on the track!
    I'm just being a pain with semantics on the use of the term lurcher-thanks for not taking offense!
    He's too short to have wolfhound in him.Could be pitbull but I've rescued that cross too and he doesnt have the face for it.
    He's no less than half saluki tho,the feathering doesn't come up after the first cross.
    If I'm ever out your way I'll bring a few of the babies with me and show you,they love the beach and they miss that here in the midlands.

DONT listen to anyone who tells you you're security paranoid-it's not possible to be too carefull with hunting hounds.They kicked in the front door and got past the Rottie to take my boy and I've never seen him since.He was 8 years old when they took him,slept on my bed every night of his life.It's been three years and not a day goes by I don't worry about him.

Thats awful :(. Its one of the reasons I'm hesitant to move from where we're living. Was your dog neutered? I'm hoping thats a good deterrent in my boy's case. The whippety boy is also a good guard dog and always barks if theres someone outside. Your story is still going to reinforce my paranoia.

OOps,I'm getting my postings all over the place-don't have a teenage child so I'm semi computer illiterate!
    I'm BLUE HAVEN Sanctuary in Laois.
    Just me and a rake of hounds on 2 acres(not they've much interest in THAT in this weather oh no it's the couches and the bed and sod you mum you can sit/sleep on the floor)
    Of the 40 something dogs I'v homed in the last 12 months only 4 went to Irish homes,the rest went to the UK or further.
    I have no help and no funding but I never say no!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Any chance a mod could come along and split this part of the thread off? It's going waaaaay off topic.

There were 7 taken,(I got 6 back)The missing boy is entire but they took 2 neutered bitches,one of whom was 9 and had a crippled leg,a 15 year old dog who staggered when he walked.They're idiots,they'll take anything.If it's no good they'll sell it on to a bigger idiot or dump it...
    I'v now kept a rescue dobe to back up the Rott and Im expecting a couple more Rotts to come in shortly,I'll prob keep at least another 1.
    The coursing season has started,thats why the thefts are on the up.A lot of the dogs will be dumped in spring when the season's over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 polopunk

Not trying to stir anything, but saw this on yourtube recently

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vbgDclFnxdI

I hunt, but have great respect for animals - but if this is true, it is very shocking.

Advertisement