Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finished Build - Then I get a problem

Options
  • 30-11-2007 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

So I've just finished my build. Had most bits put together for the past week and I have been waiting patiently fot my XFX 8800GT xxx to arrive from the states (which it did yesterday). There seemed to be no problems throughout my build (my first btw). All fans, ports etc seemed to be fine from the off.

So I get home from work yesterday, and have a 30 min period to put in the GPU before training. I install it and it fires up straight away. My monitor (SM226BW) immediately picks it up (why wouldn't it) and I pop in the CD for the GPU drivers and install them. I tried quickly to intall and play Far Cry but I didnt have the time to check it out until later on.

So I get home last night, turn on the PC and the monitor isn't getting a signal at all!! :confused: I chopped and changed out DVI cables and the power cable but to no avail. I'm at a loss as to what to do now. Bit pissed off as everything in the build seemed to go smoothly!

Any ideas as to what might be the problem guys???? Any suggestions much appreciated! :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Take out the card and put it back in.. make sure the power cables are plugged into the card..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I've done that more than a few times. One thing I noticed: When I put the card in for the very first time and booted the pc, its fan spun loud and fast for about 5 seconds but then relaxed when in windows. Whereas now when i turn on machine the fan is staying at that fast pace (and quiet loud). Power doesn't seem to be an issue then. So frustrating as it worked perfectly first few times. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Sounds like the card might be fooked! but before we jump to that answer: can you put the card into another pc and try it? A mates r somethin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Fizman wrote: »
    I've done that more than a few times. One thing I noticed: When I put the card in for the very first time and booted the pc, its fan spun loud and fast for about 5 seconds but then relaxed when in windows. Whereas now when i turn on machine the fan is staying at that fast pace (and quiet loud). Power doesn't seem to be an issue then. So frustrating as it worked perfectly first few times. :mad:

That (the continuously full throttle fan) often happens when drivers aren't installed correctly. Also, does your Samsung have an auto button, I had a problem before that it wouldn't pick up a signal over dvi, for some reason just hitting the auto button fixed it straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Also, always get your drivers from the internet, i.e. www.nvidia.com in your case. The ones that ship on the cd are usually beta or hopelessly out of date.

Sounds like the machine isn't posting at the moment, try and reset the bios, and re-seat the RAM. Disconnect everything except RAM/Graphics/CPU/Monitor/Keyboard. Try it outside the box if necessary (installing the card may have caused a short on the case).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

HavoK wrote: »
    That (the continuously full throttle fan) often happens when drivers aren't installed correctly. Also, does your Samsung have an auto button, I had a problem before that it wouldn't pick up a signal over dvi, for some reason just hitting the auto button fixed it straight away.

The drivers only have an effect if it's getting to Windows, the fans on newer nVidia's are controlled by the card's own firmware independent of driver's by default (though you can get software to over-ride these settings in Windows).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Learn something new every day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

I had the problem with my 8800 gtx and i think it was a mother board bug. I booted with one stick of ram if that works for you then just shut it down and put the rest in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

reset cmos. And disconnect all power cables and re connect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Thanks for all the suggestions lads!! Thankfully i've got it running now.
    Anti wrote: »
    reset cmos. And disconnect all power cables and re connect them.
    This worked for me Anti, but each time I rebooted the pc it wasn't quit turning off correctly. And when I turned it back on the same thing happened all over again (fan spinning wildly,monitor not picking it up,etc). Turned out it was a boot sequence problem. From the defaults, floppy was in the list of boot sequence (I hadn't initially thought of checking this). Went into to setup, put hard disk in where floppy was and bobs your mothers brother it worked fine. Cheers lads

• Advertisement
Advertisement