Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Footballing Predictions

• 30-11-2007 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Apart form the likes of the famous
    Alan Hansen- "You will never win anything with kids"
    Before man Utd won the premership with a bunch of kids
    and the less famous
    Liam Buckley-"I'll tell you one thing we wont lose 5-0 in the second leg"
    Just after his Pats side had been beaten 5-0 against the mondovan champions in the first leg and one week before they lost 5-0 in the second leg

also
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/2641675.stm

seems rather amusing givin recent Engerland events

so what other sporting predictions have gone badly wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

"THERE IS ONLY ONE TEAM WHO IS GOING TO WIN THIS NOW" - Kevin Keegan commentating in France 98 (I think) when England playing Romania, refering to the fact that England were dead certs to win. Romania proceeded to score a winner shortly thereafter.

Cant rememebr exactly what he said, but George Hamilton lauding Irelands qualification to Euro 92 10 minutes before the end of a game while winning 3-1. The game finished 3-3, England won their game, Ireland out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

From the link in Dereks posts:

BBC site wrote: »
    David Beckham, who will probably retire from football at 30 to pursue a rock career,

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Dunphy about 2 years ago when Man Utd were knocked out of group stages of CL being over sensational saying it is the end of Ferguson etc

Funny how 2 years later he is moaning we are too good in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Raskolnikov about 16 hours ago predicting that Martin Jol must be laughing his cacks off.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54540904&postcount=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

With the search feature back, I'm sure we've all made some horrid predictions, but this one I liked particuarly :)
    thebaz wrote: »
    My prediction is that arsenal will flop this year ...
    with lyunberg joining henry , through the revolving door, nearly every team in the premiership is stronger , bar arsenal .. and with the boardroom crisis alive and kicking , today directors saying theres no problem and all is ok , while the experienced lyunberg leaves .... with the likelihood becoming less and less of a return of dein, i predict wegner to leave before the year is out and arsenal to muck about with ourselves (everton) , boro and villa in mid table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The RTE panel predicting a draw when Liverpool played Besiktas in Anfield.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

anything the RTE panel have "predicted" (really propagandize their form of thinking to stupid fans) in the last 3/4 years.

Eamonn Dunphy saying anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It had to be posted! :p

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

England to win any cup competition since 1966.-Any English person(or Scottish)

Bruno Cheyrou the next Zinedine Zidane-Houlier

Man City will be boring under Sven.---Phil McNulty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

mike65 wrote: »
    It had to be posted! :p

Mike.

:D "Game well and truly over".....Oh how I laughed.........:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The RTE panel during the pre-match analysis of United vs Roma last season.

Dunphy in particular saying something along the lines of "If Alex Ferguson thinks that this team can take Roma apart, then he's living in a dream world".

Speaking of Dunphy, there was also the small matter of pledging to retire if Liverpool won the Champion's League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

The RTE panel during the pre-match analysis of United vs Roma last season.

Dunphy in particular saying something along the lines of "If Alex Ferguson thinks that this team can take Roma apart, then he's living in a dream world".

Speaking of Dunphy, there was also the small matter of pledging to retire if Liverpool won the Champion's League.

I love this clip! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Peles predictions about Columbia at US 94 and African teams

and all of my accumulators

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Anyone who replied to my pre San Marino thread informing yis Shay was injured with coimments along the likes of "Its San Marino ffs, its not as if we even need Given"

:eek::eek::D

"Really think they will do it this year"

Predicted every 2 years since 1966 by every member of the English media/punditry/public.

Ive a feeling people saying we dont have a bad WC group will come back to haunt them. Id be relieved if we dont drop more than one seeding, and Im an eternal optimist usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

at the start of the year the football editor of the observer? i think it was predicted Man City would be relegated. while no thought they'd do as well as they did that's just daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

mike65 wrote: »

Legend ! I bet you hated posting that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I remember clearly Dunphy predicting a draw v Turkey in a Euro92 qualifier back in 1990.

We won 5-0.

Pigman II wrote: »
    I remember clearly Dunphy predicting a draw v Turkey in a Euro92 qualifier back in 1990.

We won 5-0.

thats because the mans a fool.
    hes like bertie ahearn. "ah sure its okay bertie, sure u probably deserved the money anyway, dont worry we wont make a dent in the polls" - Irish voters.
    "ah its okay Dunphy, sure ya got it wrong again, but ur funny and a 'character' so we will keep ya on telly... doesnt matter that ur just above Ian Wright at actually doing your job"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Hobart wrote: »
    :D "Game well and truly over".....Oh how I laughed.........:D:D:D

Not at half time i bet...

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Jazzy wrote: »
    thats because the mans a fool.
    hes like bertie ahearn. "ah sure its okay bertie, sure u probably deserved the money anyway, dont worry we wont make a dent in the polls" - Irish voters.
    "ah its okay Dunphy, sure ya got it wrong again, but ur funny and a 'character' so we will keep ya on telly... doesnt matter that ur just above Ian Wright at actually doing your job"

Ah come on. As said before, I despise United and have done since I can remember, and even I can easily say Cristiano is one of the best young players seen in years, his dizzying footwork around decent defenders who dont know where to look next is unbelieveable, no question. I also think he is talking out of his agenda drivnen arse when he says Ireland are good enough to win our WC group, if we have the right manager (cue Dunphy ranting regarding who isnt the right manager)

Nevertheless, Dunphy is entertainment. Whether i agree, or he s talking sh1te, you cant help but be entertained by the foam at the mouth opinions of how footie should be played from a guy who got a few games at Millwall and something like 5 international caps.

Legend :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

He is indeed excellent entertainment, to be fair I find them all entertaining. Nothing like Bill sitting the panel down for an hour and bit discussing things.

Atleast they make predictions, can't say that about the safe, middle of the road Match of the Day pundits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

They guy on the Channel 4 gambling page who said backing Swansea away to Horsham in the FA Cup on Friday night at 4/11 was like buying money. They drew 1-1. Hope he kept a receipt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Its been mentioned twice, but Dunphy before the 7-1 against Roma is pure gold.

His exact words... "Roma are a cut above them." "Flecther and Carrick in the middle are nothing players, Ronaldo is a puffball." "They are coming against a professional team, a good team from Italy and i just dont see it happening with this team."

Here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nosRxHeiAdA

As you can see its not just Dunphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Its been mentioned twice, but Dunphy before the 7-1 against Roma is pure gold.

His exact words... "Roma are a cut above them." "Flecther and Carrick in the middle are nothing players, Ronaldo is a puffball." "They are coming against a professional team, a good team from Italy and i just dont see it happening with this team."

Here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nosRxHeiAdA

As you can see its not just Dunphy.

About a page too late! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

ah sure the more of them the merrier... that s just classic stuff

shane86 wrote: »

Nevertheless, Dunphy is entertainment.

The Ian Wright Show is also considered entertainment in some circles...

Advertisement