Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Gamespot Kane & Lynch controvery"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

You can see as well that people are spamming random threads with the news (At gamespot). Im sure the Mods/Admins are having a great time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

guarantee 1UP hires him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I usually read gamespot reviews and have to say this is very shocking, guess I will look for some place else now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

just watched the review, i didnt see anything harsh really that he said about the game and I actually like the game :P

I think gamespot over-reacted a bit tbh.

However, why is everyone shocked about unfair review scores, thats being going on since game reviews started. When their is money involved they will always be tainted, its business :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Kane & Lynch site lies about reviews, then to top it off drags Kotaku into it
    This reminds me of a sh!tty British gangster movie of yesteryear, the name of which eludes me atm (probably due to its aforementioned sh!ttyness).

GG Eidos no rly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I feel sorry for the guys at IO. If you watched any of the developer interviews it was obvious that some very talented people poured their hearts into making something that would stand out, but they were no doubt forced to rush the game for Christmas when it wasn't ready, and Eidos' behavious since has turned what was still a flawed but good game into a laughing stock now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Wow, havent seen the crap hit the fan like this since driv3rgate

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

steviec wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the guys at IO. If you watched any of the developer interviews it was obvious that some very talented people poured their hearts into making something that would stand out, but they were no doubt forced to rush the game for Christmas when it wasn't ready, and Eidos' behavious since has turned what was still a flawed but good game into a laughing stock now.
    It's the way of all games. Can't remember which company has it as their motto, but "Done when it's done" would be a great way to have games made. Unfortunately, money takes precedence over art.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

3DRealms, and while it is in some ways a good motto, it's only good if the game actually does become 'done' at some point :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

LOL - http://www.gamespot.com/news/6183603.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

"Neither CNET Networks nor GameSpot has ever allowed its advertising business to affect its editorial content," said Greg Brannan, CNET Networks Entertainment's vice president of programming

Yeh sure :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

steviec wrote: »

Well said man, this really sums up the situation for the devs!! Horrible incident overall, nobody wins here! Eidos made many big mistakes with this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Interesting post by the creator of CTRL-ALT-DEL here - would be very funny if he were right...

But back to the issue at hand - if you hire reviewers and want readers to be able to trust you, then they need to be able to do their job (and sponsorships / game advertising should be thought about after - as someone said advertise the good games...)

🤪

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

humanji wrote: »
    Can't remember which company has it as their motto, but "Done when it's done"

Thats Epic Games' motto, but they seem to have forgotten it for UT3 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I can honestly say I have never been to any of these game review sites until this incident, I always check the magazines and metacritic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

...Metacritic is owned by CNet as well. I wonder if any manipulation goes into the scores on that depending on advertiser $ ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

seraphimvc wrote: »
    Gamespot is the only website which gave Twillight princess less than 9.0 at that time...he was that reviewer...;)just checked out that review now and i was shocked

Didn't he give it an 8.9? Seemed to me like he was going out of his way to get Zelda fans' backs up and at least appear to move away from the herd... because 89% is SOOOO much poorer than 90%!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

flogen wrote: »
    Didn't he give it an 8.9? Seemed to me like he was going out of his way to get Zelda fans' backs up and at least appear to move away from the herd... because 89% is SOOOO much poorer than 90%!

lol cant remember that well really,you maybe right:D

but take a look of that review video of zelda....superb....:cool:

edit:
    checked...8.9 for the GC version...8.8 for wii version...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Very very interesting article about the differences between the Gerstmann's original scathing gamespot review and the diluted original.... (Gotta love Google's cache!)

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/05/comparison-shows-significant-edits-to-gerstmanns-kane-and-lynch-r/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

My view of gamespot has definitely changed after reading all this. There has been a few games recently where it has given high scores out such as C&C3 90% and COD4 90%. I found both to be repetitive and lacking innovation. Then again most other big websites scored those two games similarly so maybe its just me?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

with regards those two games... I do think it's just you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

In the context of that website he should have known his place regards Eidos but in general he was right to voice his opinion.

I played Kane & Lynch last night for just under and hour, it was painful. It got 7/10 on Eurogamer.net, it deserved 3/10.

Advertisement