Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Mondeo - Irish Car of the Year 2008

Options
  • 30-11-2007 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Thought there would be a thread about this already but yesterday the Ford Mondeo was voted Semperit Irish Car of the Year 2008. The Mondeo was a clear winner scoring 122 points ahead of the Kia Cee'd on 104, the Nissan Qashqai on 86, Renault Laguna on 66 and the Fiat Bravo on 42 points

The Fiat Scudo won the Semperit Irish Van of the Year 2008 title.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

love mondeos, didnt like the interior, unless ya go for the titainium spec model.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Couldn't argue with that. Great car all round imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

The press have waxed lyrical, many pointing out that in terms of dynamics the Mondeo is as good or better than premium models another level up (A4 and 3-series presumably). They probably have a point. Would anyone dispute that the Mondeo 2.0TDCI is at least as good as an A4 2.0TDI? And most certainly superior to a 1.9TDI? Or that a Mondeo 1.8 Zetec is better-all-round than a poverty-spec 3-series? Yet the price difference to a comparable model is probably over 10 grand...

People will pay over the odds for a premium badge. I guess this is reflected (to some degree) in residuals and most will claim that interior quality is better in the prestige marques but I guess deep down we're all snobs...:(

Personally i think the Mondeo has grown far too big and it is interesting to note that the new Laguna and Mazda 6, although bigger than before have not quite reached the XXL proportions of the Ford.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Fine car. Well deserved award.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

pburns wrote: »
    The press have waxed lyrical, many pointing out that in terms of dynamics the Mondeo is as good or better than premium models another level up (A4 and 3-series presumably). They probably have a point. Would anyone dispute that the Mondeo 2.0TDCI is at least as good as an A4 2.0TDI? And most certainly superior to a 1.9TDI? Or that a Mondeo 1.8 Zetec is better-all-round than a poverty-spec 3-series? Yet the price difference to a comparable model is probably over 10 grand...

People will pay over the odds for a premium badge. I guess this is reflected (to some degree) in residuals and most will claim that interior quality is better in the prestige marques but I guess deep down we're all snobs...:(

Personally i think the Mondeo has grown far too big and it is interesting to note that the new Laguna and Mazda 6, although bigger than before have not quite reached the XXL proportions of the Ford.

Agreed. I'm sure its a very fine car, but its gotten way to big and awkward looking IMO. Perhaps not helped by the tiny little wheels and sad looking hub-caps that seem to adorn most of the versions I've seen on the road so far!
    Also, I sat in one in a showroom and thought the dash looked like the designers spent too much time in Currys. Silver plastic fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

The new mondeo is far too heavy for the weedy engines they have.

I drove the 1.6 petrol.... pathetic
    and the 125bhp diesel ... barely adequate with lots of lag on takeoff
    They need to catch up big time with what other manufacturers are doing engine wise.
    The new 1.4 turbo petol in the passat for example is much more drivable than either the 1.6 pet or 1.8 diesel mondy.
    Also why arent the diesels more powerful, I mean there is also a measley100 bhp 1.8 available when even the entry 1.5 diesel in the new laguna puts out 110bhp!
    And I'm sure it's not that they cant easily up the bhp it's that they havent for some unknown reason.

Nope. There is a 1.8TDCi 125bhp, which is quick enough for what it is imo.

There are 2 versions of the 1.8TDCi I think. You must have driven the 110bhp.

Any car that size needs bigger than a 1.6 imo. I'd be interested in driving that 1.4 Passat even though I'm not pushed on the car itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

Any car that size needs bigger than a 1.6 imo. I'd be interested in driving that 1.4 Passat even though I'm not pushed on the car itself.

errr there is no 110 diesel,there's a 100 and a 125 with a 6 speed box which I drove and it wasn't great, mainly because of the weight of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

We've a new Zetec 1.8TDCi with 125bhp, overtakes in its sleep, also has much improved interior/dash etc. Would agree though, that the 1.6 is crap, as was the old 1.8 petrol, and as I've driven 1.6 Mondeo/Laguna/Vectra/Passat/316, I think the lack of power to weight/size shows. Even the remapped Focus 1.6 TDCi with 126bhp, I'm currently driving, takes the p!ss out of them.

We've a new Zetec 1.8TDCi with 125bhp, overtakes in its sleep, also has much improved interior/dash etc. Would agree though, that the 1.6 is crap, as was the old 1.8 petrol, and as I've driven 1.6 Mondeo/Laguna/Vectra/Passat/316, I think the lack of power to weight/size shows. Even the remapped Focus 1.6 TDCi with 126bhp, I'm currently driving, takes the p!ss out of them.

improved dash, are ya joking. I drove one the other day. it was a 2.0tdci zetec, and i thought the dash and controls were cheap and tacky looking. didnt like it at all. and wasnt all that impressed with power. felt sluggish compared to the MK3 Mondeo Zetec. the new one must be a heavier car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

improved dash, are ya joking. I drove one the other day. it was a 2.0tdci zetec, and i thought the dash and controls were cheap and tacky looking. didnt like it at all. and wasnt all that impressed with power. felt sluggish compared to the MK3 Mondeo Zetec. the new one must be a heavier car.

IMO I wasn't joking, and I was comparing to the latter, and I'd rather have the new Mondeo, thats not saying that Ford could do better, but so could the rivals. Also as far as I'm aware the new Mondeo is about 1450kgs, on a 1.8TDCi 125bhp, and 2.0TDCi 140bhp, and the mk3 was around 1570kgs, on a 2.0TDCi 115bhp/130bhp. Unless I'm wrong that makes the new one 100kgs lighter. That wouldn't make sense on the weight issue.

I also think the dash has improved greatly, but as you say, they could do better.

It's way ahead of anything in it's class imo anyway.

IMO I wasn't joking, and I was comparing to the latter, and I'd rather have the new Mondeo, thats not saying that Ford could do better, but so could the rivals. Also as far as I'm aware the new Mondeo is about 1450kgs, on a 1.8TDCi 125bhp, and 2.0TDCi 140bhp, and the mk3 was around 1570kgs, on a 2.0TDCi 115bhp/130bhp. Unless I'm wrong that makes the new one 100kgs lighter. That wouldn't make sense on the weight issue.

The weight on the Mk3 Mondeo 2.0TDCI was 1492kg according to parkers. http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Detail.aspx?deriv=22207

the new one is 1479kg so the diff isnt that much. But i found the new car sluggish compared to the old one. I use to have a MK3 mondeo til last july,and was disappointed with the new one. Ill wait and see if the bring out a 2.2TDCI ST like with the older models.

Advertisement